Preview Changes v Essendon Saturday March 27 @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartlett in for Bonner
Rocky in for Drew(didn’t do anything wrong, just think Rocky adds valuable experience)

From the SANFL web site this evening, but will obviously change by a few. This game gets under way before we have to name our AFL side:

Friday March 26

Port Adelaide v Adelaide at Alberton Oval – 5pm
PORT

Sutcliffe, Moore, Strange, Weidemann, Westbrook, Sareen, Corcoran, Surman, Williams, Hayes, Garner, Lord, Burgoyne, Mayes, Schofield, Edwards, Aldridge, Wildman, Frederick, Pasini

ADELAIDE

Boyle, Cook, Clarke, Clamp, Hodges, Hoffman, Hutchens, Kennedy, Kernahan, Latchford, Marini, Marshman, J. Mathews, L. Mathews, Merrett, Ryan, Tharaldsen, Walton
That Cow’s line up could not be more anonymous if they were in witness protection.

From the SANFL web site this evening, but will obviously change by a few. This game gets under way before we have to name our AFL side:

Friday March 26

Port Adelaide v Adelaide at Alberton Oval – 5pm
PORT

Sutcliffe, Moore, Strange, Weidemann, Westbrook, Sareen, Corcoran, Surman, Williams, Hayes, Garner, Lord, Burgoyne, Mayes, Schofield, Edwards, Aldridge, Wildman, Frederick, Pasini

ADELAIDE

Boyle, Cook, Clarke, Clamp, Hodges, Hoffman, Hutchens, Kennedy, Kernahan, Latchford, Marini, Marshman, J. Mathews, L. Mathews, Merrett, Ryan, Tharaldsen, Walton
Is that Scott Hodges son playing as a father son pick up for Adelaide?

Farrell needs a lotto ticket then his game against Norf was just as anonymous as his preseasons games

approaching Sam Gray levels of protection
If Rozee was right he would come in for him. We don't have anyone in the reserves who can play Farrell's role. We already have lost quite a bit of speed with Bonner going out for Hartlett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide key forward Todd Marshall rested during Friday morning's captain's run at Adelaide Oval. He will be named in the 22-man line-up that will have one forced change - vice-captain Hamish Hartlett replacing injured wingman Riley Bonner.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/889178/hinkley-we-re-playing-very-strong-football

If Rozee was right he would come in for him. We don't have anyone in the reserves who can play Farrell's role. We already have lost quite a bit of speed with Bonner going out for Hartlett.
If Farrells pace is his saving grace then I don’t think it’s nearly enough. He’s not so fast that it can compensate for the gap between the amount of ball he’s gets and what Mayes would win

Further Mayes ball use is arguably better given Farrells sweet leg has left him

If Ken’s going to make statements like “form get you selected” then he can’t play this week in the As it’s that simple

This isn’t 2013 or 2016 we are on the record saying it’s a flag or a waste this year, can’t carry blokes for 2 preseason strolls and a meh round 1 game and mean that statement IMO

If Farrells pace is his saving grace then I don’t think it’s nearly enough. He’s not so fast that it can compensate for the gap between the amount of ball he’s gets and what Mayes would win

Further Mayes ball use is arguably better given Farrells sweet leg has left him

If Ken’s going to make statements like “form get you selected” then he can’t play this week in the As it’s that simple

This isn’t 2013 or 2016 we are on the record saying it’s a flag or a waste this year, can’t carry blokes for 2 preseason strolls and a meh round 1 game and mean that statement IMO
Lol Mayes averaged 13.7 disposals last year. Farrell had 11 last week. You seem to put a lot of value on 2.7 extra disposals.

Ball use is hard to compare given they play completely different positions, which is precisely the reason it would be dumb to replace Farrell with Mayes.

Farrell's preseason and game last week was fine. He missed one shot on goal which was disappointing but outside of that played his role.

Lol Mayes averaged 13.7 disposals last year. Farrell had 11 last week. You seem to put a lot of value on 2.7 extra disposals.

Ball use is hard to compare given they play completely different positions, which is precisely the reason it would be dumb to replace Farrell with Mayes.

Farrell's preseason and game last week was fine. He missed one shot on goal which was disappointing but outside of that played his role.

All the farrell bashing is wierd. If he had played 50 games and was producing what he is now then fair enough, but he hasn't. The coaches are obviously seeing enough in training to think he's got the tools to be a damaging player.

He'll be the next Amon/Bonner for mine. Just needs time and games under his belt.

Should probably bring the spot of one of our rucks into question

Rucks that only ruck and become useless after that, you couldn't carry two. Rucks that can genuinely play forward or as an extra mid have a place. Ladhams should be fine on that count, as should Hayes if what those in the know say is right. The likes of Lycett whose more that old school ruck is more at risk. Probably not this year, but next year onwards a Ladhams/Hayes combo could suit the rules better then Lycett or Lycett + one of them, even if he is a better ruck.

Should probably bring the spot of one of our rucks into question

I agree you cant carry 2 rucks, that only Ruck.
Ladhams is a Ruck forward and does enough to take talls away from marshall and charlie at the very least. not to mention moves well for his size also

All the farrell bashing is wierd. If he had played 50 games and was producing what he is now then fair enough, but he hasn't. The coaches are obviously seeing enough in training to think he's got the tools to be a damaging player.

He'll be the next Amon/Bonner for mine. Just needs time and games under his belt.
Yea ok this isn’t identity politics guys it’s possible to call out a player as not being in particularly good form or contributing as much as he could be and it not be “bashing”

you’re right Farrell might be the next Amon but equally he might be another Gray that was kinda my point

Right here and now Mayes was best on against Sturt a week ago( you know in the midfield where Farrell plays) so he can play Farrells position and that swap makes sense if for no other reason
A) gives Farrell a rocket
B) gives someone who deserves it a crack

that’s all my point is it’s not a commentary of Farrells career or value as a human

Hartlett hasn't gone to an elite level like I thought he would. His 2012-2014 years showed real glimpses of being a top-10 player in the league.

He's a good depth player, solid contributor who shows experience, take him for what he is.

Reminds me of a Darren Mead type, good solid player on his day, but whether he makes it in our best 22 given our list is a bit touch and go.

Think he's far more than a good depth player/solid contributor. Yes, didn't live up to the elite expectations, but he's still extremely important to us. Watch that final against Geelong where he dominated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back