Changes v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who replaces McStay? Jackson Paine? Could the selection committee be interested in giving Skinner a taste at senior level so he knows what he has to work on over the pre season? You can say it is far too early but realistically it was far too early to play the likes of Andrews, Beasley, Hipwood, Hammelmann and William over the past couple seasons.

Could NRobbo and Clayton receive call ups?

NRobbo I would give some more time to at AFL level. He could be, quite literally, our Robbo Mk II if we develop him well but he needs time at this level.

Clayton I haven't seen more than a glimpse of so won't comment.

Skinner I am very interested in seeing how he goes.

I don't think Taylor deserves a recall. I would imagine someone comes out for Merrett, perhaps Reuben (but I would prefe to keep him).

outs- rich (omitted) hanley (managed) schache (managed) mcstay (ankle) martin (ribs)

ins- robertson, merrett, close, walker, clayton.

noticed walker played down back in the ressies today, put merrett up front as the big body and try walker down back to trial as a maybe replacement for rog next year. merrett/hipwood/andrews to share ruck role.

Schachester might need a break.

Close also needs an opportunity before the year is over.

Mcstay needs to be replaced. Actually asked Skinner a week ago if he would play this season, he wasn't too confident (William said the same thing so, maybe not worth much) so perhaps we put Paine back in.

Harris looks tired, would chuck rog in for him.

So;

Andrews ---> Sauce
Mcstay ---> Paine/Skinner
Schache ---> Close/Walker

I would make between 6 changes to the side, but I doubt we will do that. Anyway, here is what I would do:

• OUT Schache, IN Close - Schache has looked like he has been struggling a bit for a while despite occasionally bobbing up with a good effort. I think he also got a corked thigh against GWS so time for a rest. Close has now played two good games in a row in the reserves, so he should get a chance.
  • OUT Jansen, IN Robertson - Jansen seemed to go missing yesterday with only 10 possessions and seems to be trending downwards despite showing some good signs. Again time for a rest and to bring in Robertson who has been very good in the last month in the reserves.
  • OUT Hammelman, IN Merrett - Hammelmann doesn't look quite ready and we need all the experience we can get, even if Merrett is getting closer to the end of his career.
  • OUT William, IN Clayton - After a decent first game, William just couldn't get into it at all yesterday. That is no big concern, but it is time for Clayton to get his call up after a huge month or so in the reserves.
  • OUT McStay, IN Paine - I haven't heard how bad McStay's ankle is - but in any case, Paine has been playing really well in the reserves and deserves another chance.
  • OUT Keays, IN Taylor - This is a tough one and I realise not many Lions fans will agree with me. But if we are trying to win the game, Lewy Taylor should be in the side. I don't think his form has been nearly as bad as a lot of people have been suggesting. Keays is better in the one on one contest, but Lewy gives us the speed that I think we will need against Essendon.
Obviously if Martin isn't fit we have to bring in West or even Walker to replace him. I wouldn't mind giving Claye Beams another run given his good form in the seconds, but I couldn't find a spot for him just yet.

Out - Rich (Omitted), Schache (managed), Jansen (Omitted), McStay (ankle/rested)
IN - Close, Taylor, Merrett, Clayton.

Should of dropped Rich ages ago and now it is just laughable, a statement needs to be made. McStay could do with the rest anyway and I don't like sending blokes interstate when only 50-50 at the start of the week in almost always ends up bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out : Bastinac, Lester, McStay, Schache(rest), William
In : Robertson, Clayton, Merrett, Close, Taylor

Keep an eye out for possible suspension for rich for a throat hit on Zac Williams

Last edited:
Out - Rich (Omitted), Schache (managed), Jansen (Omitted), McStay (ankle/rested)
IN - Close, Taylor, Merrett, Clayton.

Should of dropped Rich ages ago and now it is just laughable, a statement needs to be made. McStay could do with the rest anyway and I don't like sending blokes interstate when only 50-50 at the start of the week in almost always ends up bad.

If we try to 'make a statement' this round especially the whole AFL will scream tanking.. even resting Schache might look dodgy to those oblivious to the happenings at the lions (read as the AFL elite in Melbourne)

If we try to 'make a statement' this round especially the whole AFL will scream tanking.. even resting Schache might look dodgy to those oblivious to the happenings at the lions (read as the AFL elite in Melbourne)
Close went well in the reserves and Schache needs a rest so I don't think anyone inside the industry would be surprised by that call.

All we have to do is play like yesterday and we're guaranteed to lose every game for the rest of the season. In the second and third quarters we were pathetic and a disgrace not just to the club but the whole AFL competition.

Out: Martin, McStay, Schache, Hammelman, Lester, Keayes,

In: Close, Walker, Smith, Merrett, Robertson, CBeams

I actually agree Schache needs a week off but i can't see Leppa doing it.

I would go with Walker for Schache. Merrett for McStay. Close for Hammelman. Robertson for William. Lewy sounds like he won't be fit. If Stef isn't fit we will have to go with West i guess. I would play Hanley down back and give him license to take the game on and try to invent some movement out of the back half. Robertson should play wing - Etihad is fast track and he has played some decent games there. Clayton may well get a game and would have earned it.

B: Gardiner Merrett Hanley
HB: Cutler Andrews Mayes
C : Robertson Rich Zorko
HF: Bewick Close Green
F: Hipwood Walker Keays
R: Martin Robbo Rocky
I: Basti Matho Jansen Lester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back