Prediction Changes V Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Brander can at least take an overhead mark and ever more, an overhead contested mark.
I would think Cale Hooker would be rubbing him self up in pleasure tonight, in the knowledge that the overhead forward threat from WC is coming from McInnes ...that would be the same guy who cant even take an overhead contested mark in the WAFL .

Now for your second point...... IF and its a big if..... McInnes is in the side to give NN a chop out..... I can live with that as that gives Lycett or NN an opportunity to be a focal point up front , now that is something Hooker should be worried about.

As for the "he straightens us up argument" with out an overhead marking threat in our forward line, it doesn't matter one iota how straight we are..... because Hurley and Hooker are going to have a field day intercepting marks ...... I would have preferred the Sneezer in the team as he does have some high flying tricks and he is also dangerous on the ground.

Our small forwards are going to have to play out of their skins tomorrow night if the ball delivery is like it was last Friday night...... mids will need to lift their games big time if we are going to score enough points to win.

Funny how Venables and Petro were given a second game after poor to piss poor efforts in their first game and came back with a much better contribution in their second game.
Venables kicked three in game two.

Our forward line played s**t, to a man, last Friday night ...... and yes I admit the delivery was atrocious ..... yet Brander is the only player to get shunted out of the team.
FFS that has shades on Ross Lyon / Matt Taberner all over it , the team wins you keep your spot we lose your out.

Its our backing of our youth that as helped us rise this year ..... well until now.
I have seen McInnes take contested marks. He doesn't take them all the time but then nor does JJK, not that I am putting them on the same level. I personally think McInnes is somewhat unfairly maligned. Every time I have seen him play he shows tidy skills for a big man.
I can see that Brander is going to be a good player but last Friday he was just about a non event. I still think he will be a good player but he was thrown in the deep end.
I don't think Brander is being blamed for the loss but with both Darling and Kennedy out the coaches think McInnes will be better for the structure of the team. They do want to win the game.
I don't think the situation is anything like Lyon and Taberner. It's just not the right time for Jarrod ATM.

I understand that mate, but like I said before I just think he is more of a tough match up and more likely to maybe take a few marks.
Not worth the the risk - what if Vardy broke down again - then he's out for a few more weeks and we don't have him as backup for later in the season. You're not seeing the wood for the trees!

If Mcinnis has a the mobility of a mack truck, then vardy in his current state has the mobility of the Titanic.

I agree somewhat but I think supporters have attributed our success this year to the coaches rolling the dice with young players despite not knocking the door down at wafl level.

To some level I agree with them - there’s nothing like an injection of youthful enthusiasm to regenerate a team.

But Brander should have been held back last week - it kind of makes it worse now that he’s being dropped after one game than if he had have never debuted in the first place.
I think Simmo realised he gave Brander a go at AFL level before he was ready and would have also had a chat in his ear as to why he's been dropped so as not to dent his confidence too much. Brander's time will come again but just not right now as his body is too slight and needs building up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brander should have stayed imo.

He may have been a poor choice to bring in v Sydney but you gotta back him in.

Without looking at the stats, nearly all of our first gamers have had average debuts but we backed them in for another week (apart for Ainsworth who was in for pure necessity) and they excelled after that.

I didn't want Brander omitted either, but IMO once JK was ruled out that was likely the end of Brander's chances too. I just don't think we could go with an ultra-inexperienced forward line in this game.
In the context of our current injury situation, and considering the health, form & preparedness of those currently in the WAFL, I think the match committee has got the selections right.
I think we've still got a lot of positions around the ground well covered, and Fraser is the least likely of the options not to make a meal out of his, and having him up there also maintains our structure which Simmo has been big on this season. No he probably won't clunk 6 pack marks and kick a bag, but nor does he need to for us to kick a score.

This thread is starting to look a little like #WeWantAnswersWCE

Brander shouldnt have played last week but should have stayed in after he was picked.
I’m with the poster above.

Once JK was ruled out McInnes over Brander made more sense. He’s more likely to provide a contest and help feed the smalls this week than Brander. Also provides ruck support if we want to push Naitanui/Lycett forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back