Prediction Changes V Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we trust to quick an accurate set shot?

Lecras and Willie?

That's about it from our forwards at the moment.
I trust Waterman, it's just that he is too unselfish and tries to give it off rather than taking it himself when he is >35m out.

Yeah that's a long list. Season killer. Although our list is small we do have three of our starting four spine players out and the forwards are one of our absolute strengths. Still pretty significant.
Yes but ours are not season ending injuries thank goodness. We have to work without them for now no other choice. Look at Collingwood they dont have key forwards either and they find goals from Hoskin Elliot, Josh Thomas, Degoey, Sidebottom, Phillips, Stephenson). Same for Richmond their goals come from all their smalls and midsize players.

We will have to get goals from the following
(a) Lecca
(b) Ryan
(c) Rioli
(d) Lycett
(e) Nic Nat
(f) Waterman
(g) Cripps
(f) Venbles and Petch (where they get selected)
Also the mids all need to chip in with a goal or two

Brander was given a chance and he didn't take it (for whatever reasons).physically he's underdone anyway.
We need a senior player down front.
Can't believe people are dishing McInnes, like he's going to be worse than Brander?
and our options are slim for a forward type..
It's about winning games or trying to, not just blooding youth.
For those who quote Rnd 2 bombers against Freo as an example of who we play tonight
you'd be way wrong, this is a different team now...

Last edited:
If we are going to roll the dice a little with selection and team balance, then what i would love to see is this:

Nic Nat playing a full game at full forward.

Let lycett and mciness handle the ruck duties and leave Nic in the forward 50. He is excellent one on one and is such an aerial threat that with so many smaller forwards this weekend the ball will come to ground.

We have seen Dusty and Dangerfield play at full forward and be successful, i would love to see the club let Nic have a crack at it tonight.

If we are going to roll the dice a little with selection and team balance, then what i would love to see is this:

Let lycett and mciness handle the ruck duties and leave Nic in the forward 50. He is excellent one on one and is such an aerial threat that with so many smaller forwards this weekend the ball will come to ground.

We have seen Dusty and Dangerfield play at full forward and be successful, i would love to see the club let Nic have a crack at it tonight.
I think all 3 will rotate through the forward line at some stage.

Brander can at least take an overhead mark and ever more, an overhead contested mark.
I would think Cale Hooker would be rubbing him self up in pleasure tonight, in the knowledge that the overhead forward threat from WC is coming from McInnes ...that would be the same guy who cant even take an overhead contested mark in the WAFL .

Now for your second point...... IF and its a big if..... McInnes is in the side to give NN a chop out..... I can live with that as that gives Lycett or NN an opportunity to be a focal point up front , now that is something Hooker should be worried about.

As for the "he straightens us up argument" with out an overhead marking threat in our forward line, it doesn't matter one iota how straight we are..... because Hurley and Hooker are going to have a field day intercepting marks ...... I would have preferred the Sneezer in the team as he does have some high flying tricks and he is also dangerous on the ground.

Our small forwards are going to have to play out of their skins tomorrow night if the ball delivery is like it was last Friday night...... mids will need to lift their games big time if we are going to score enough points to win.

Funny how Venables and Petro were given a second game after poor to piss poor efforts in their first game and came back with a much better contribution in their second game.
Venables kicked three in game two.

Our forward line played s**t, to a man, last Friday night ...... and yes I admit the delivery was atrocious ..... yet Brander is the only player to get shunted out of the team.
FFS that has shades on Ross Lyon / Matt Taberner all over it , the team wins you keep your spot we lose your out.

Its our backing of our youth that as helped us rise this year ..... well until now.

Come on mate you cant compare Brander with Venables and Petro. One is a chf being asked to play on one of two AA defenders in Hurley or Hooker. With 1 poor game experience with no Kennedy or Darling. The others are bench rotation flankers.

For sure McInnes will allow Lycett and Nic to play more time forward.

He can also lead his arse off and drag a defender away from orhers. If he kicks a goal or two and crashes the packs he's done his job.

We know you have adopted 'your boy Brander' and anointed him as the second coming of Kennedy but farhers need take a deep breath and not throw their boys to the wolves before they are ready.

Last edited:

Best tap ruck in comp play all game at FF. Wont happen.

He may well spend greater time on rhe ground playing deep forward.

Best tap ruck in comp play all game at FF. Wont happen.

He may well spend greater time on rhe ground playing deep forward.

To play devils advocate, you could say Dusty is the games best onballer and would be wasted at full forward, but he did great when he was posted there.

I actually agree with you though, its unlikely to happen, Nic playing at full forward. I would still love to see it all the same though.

To play devils advocate, you could say Dusty is the games best onballer and would be wasted at full forward, but he did great when he was posted there.

I actually agree with you though, its unlikely to happen, Nic playing at full forward. I would still love to see it all the same though.

At times this year, Lycett was more effective than Nic in the ruck.
If Lycett can deliver in the ruck tonight, there's no reason why Nic can't sit at FF and become an aerial threat.

Changes make sense, schofield and mcinnes covering JK and Barrass from our Best 22.

Only thing I would do different is play a fwd/mid in Ah Chee over an 8th defender in nelson. Im guessing jetta will play more mid/fwd this week to compensate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will happen tonight but we are talking about 5 or 10 min in each quarter when Lycett or McInnes ruck.

Happy with the changes:

(1) The Sheed out had to happen, even though it meant an additional change. I think it's unfortunate Shuey didn't come up against the Saints because not only did it set Dom back in his form recovery in the WAFL, but it meant we had to endure his poor outing at the SCG and he has now had to endure being dropped twice in 3 weeks which won't help his mindset. And because it is a Thursday game he has copped the stand alone teams article on afl.com "Dom Dumped Again". I fully expect he will regain his form in the WAFL and be back within a month.

(2) While I'd have liked to see Brander again, dropping him was the right call. He didn't exactly set the world on fire last week (we can forgive that given it wasn't an easy game for any of our blokes, let alone a first game KPF), but the likelihood is that he would have been outbodied and ultimately towelled up this week in copping the Bombers' best/2nd best KPD. He says himself that at this point in his career he is suited to Waterman's role - and we don't have room for 2 of those.

(3) McInnes and Schofield are in to do exactly what they are on our list for - provide experienced depth in our time of need. Schofield played well against the Giants and should have been in last week (I think he was still getting over his injury?). As many have stated, we lose so much in forcing McGovern to be accountable for a KPF. McInnes normally acquits himself well and has shown an ability to hit the ground running when we unleash him for his game or 2 every year. I expect he will hold his own in the contest and, at the very least, create front and centre opportunities for Willie/Ryan/Lecras.

I expect we will grind out a win, but it won't be a walk in the park with us missing our 2 best KPFs of the last decade.

Changes make sense, schofield and mcinnes covering JK and Barrass from our Best 22.

Only thing I would do different is play a fwd/mid in Ah Chee over an 8th defender in nelson. Im guessing jetta will play more mid/fwd this week to compensate
Dare say match committee would agree with you, but the 5 day break would have prohibited Ah Chee from coming in. Midfield minutes probably more arduous for Ah Chee than Schofield.

Will be interesting to see if Ah Chee is back in next week.

Happy with the changes:

(1) The Sheed out had to happen, even though it meant an additional change. I think it's unfortunate Shuey didn't come up against the Saints because not only did it set Dom back in his form recovery in the WAFL, but it meant we had to endure his poor outing at the SCG and he has now had to endure being dropped twice in 3 weeks which won't help his mindset. And because it is a Thursday game he has copped the stand alone teams article on afl.com "Dom Dumped Again". I fully expect he will regain his form in the WAFL and be back within a month.

(2) While I'd have liked to see Brander again, dropping him was the right call. He didn't exactly set the world on fire last week (we can forgive that given it wasn't an easy game for any of our blokes, let alone a first game KPF), but the likelihood is that he would have been outbodied and ultimately towelled up this week in copping the Bombers' best/2nd best KPD. He says himself that at this point in his career he is suited to Waterman's role - and we don't have room for 2 of those.

(3) McInnes and Schofield are in to do exactly what they are on our list for - provide experienced depth in our time of need. Schofield played well against the Giants and should have been in last week (I think he was still getting over his injury?). As many have stated, we lose so much in forcing McGovern to be accountable for a KPF. McInnes normally acquits himself well and has shown an ability to hit the ground running when we unleash him for his game or 2 every year. I expect he will hold his own in the contest and, at the very least, create front and centre opportunities for Willie/Ryan/Lecras.

I expect we will grind out a win, but it won't be a walk in the park with us missing our 2 best KPFs of the last decade.

Schofield couldn't travel to Sydney because his wife was expecting. She had a little father-son candidate early this week.

X man was jokingly saying to contact him for interviews with WCE new full forward (Frase lives with him) so maybe the ruck remains as normal. From a structures and continuity stand point it makes sense to change as little as possible.

Fraser to bust packs and the smalls to be very ready. I'm OK with Ryan flying for marks provided the other smalls stay at the drop of the ball.

I think you’ll find Gov, burn ....yeo will play forward at times too

Even though we haven’t got JK or Jack .....I’m not panicking
I think all 3 will rotate through the forward line at some stage.

I think youll see Yeo hurn and gov up forward at times too

Shuey also.

Its going to be a rotating forward line

Even if we wanted to do that, We would still have NN take the ruck after a goal and then push forward. I think NN shouldnt tap the ball to anyone just take it out of the ruck EVERY contest and kick it forward.

As long as McInnes isn’t left on his own being covered by 2 blokes all night with the ball sitting on his head then we should be fine

Either lower their eyes going forward or man up if there’s a loose defender, everyone just play their normal roles and keep it simple

Even if we wanted to do that, We would still have NN take the ruck after a goal and then push forward. I think NN shouldnt tap the ball to anyone just take it out of the ruck EVERY contest and kick it forward.

I agree ....I actually think field position is more important than pin point passes ...

Get field position ...create pressure....get turn over ..score

Remove this Banner Ad

Back