Opinion Changes v Freo

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I imagine our data gurus are searching through the list trying to find the tallest player we can drop for Charlie. Seriously, we all know we aren't going with a multi-pronged tall forward line.

Last week vindicated everything about our current game plan. We went in with nine defenders, yet managed a season high goal tally from thirteen different scorers. Our selectors are stubborn enough at the best of times. We ain't changing that in a hurry...

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Without even having to think of all the other clubs that have 2 big guys crashing packs I watched a bit of Sydney v West Coast today and Darling/Kennedy were pantsed. Goals from big forwards crashing packs are rare and teams would be avoiding deliberately trying to engineer this situation.
Darling and Kennedy are a great team, yes they got pantsed yesterday but more often than not they are doing that to the oppo, Id say the SCG had a huge bearing on them not being an influence. Even without them hitting the scoreboard you have to see how good they make their small forwards look through their aerial dominace even if they dont mark the ball, they were a big reason why the won the premiership. Big forwards are a lot like ruckman you dont really look at the stats to see their value you have to watch the game and you know without looking at the stats to see their influence, if you dont feel they havnt had a good game then its because they havnt even if the stats tell you otherwise

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Dixon should have at least one more week in the Sanfl. We've showed we can win without him, there is no need to rush him in to the team after one game. I know I'm excited to see him back out there too but no harm him waiting one more week if he performs again. Frampton should be given another game but needs to know it could be his last chance for a while if he doesn't perform as we have Charlie coming back. Hope he would take it with both hands.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We are in a legitimately tough spot here with who goes in/out. Says a lot for our depth which is the best it has been for a long time. I’d say Rocky, Wines and Dixon will all come in, three incredibly unlucky blokes will all go out, and that still leaves us with Hartlett, Ebert, Marshall, Frampton, Garner and Drew (among others) who can’t make the side. Great spot to be in.

So basically you want Charlie to do what you bagged Frampton for

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t want him to do it. It’s called being pragmatic and knowing that a player is going to get gassed in his first game of AFL.

In his second game he should be able to run it out.

And I’ve never bagged Frampton. I’ve explained why he was dropped, but I also understand he’s a developing prospect and won’t get it right all the time.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Freo don’t have Alex Pearce - we need to exploit that, but I don’t think Dixon is ready. Hmmm
They've also lost Rory Lobb. I have every confidence that Hinkley will fully exploit this just as he did against Richmond.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Exploiting a lack of Talls is a dangerous tactic. Always seems a sure fire tactic but fails nine times out of ten.

The problem is that it is far easier to spoil than mark. If your bigs don’t mark it, your lack of pace on the ground is exposed. Perth, quick deck = danger.

I don’t think Charlie plays. I watched him closely Saturday. He played as a deep forward rarely going beyond half forward. His GPS probably says he’s not ready. It’s been a while since any AFL side was able to afford a stay at home, one trick pony forward.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
We are in a legitimately tough spot here with who goes in/out. Says a lot for our depth which is the best it has been for a long time. I’d say Rocky, Wines and Dixon will all come in, three incredibly unlucky blokes will all go out, and that still leaves us with Hartlett, Ebert, Marshall, Frampton, Garner and Drew (among others) who can’t make the side. Great spot to be in.
Think your bang on with the ins with what Ken will do.

Ideally Dixon needs another Snafl game but this match against Freo is so important.

I think Howard needs to stay up forward if Ken does decide to play Dixon. Dixon was blowing hard at Alberton.

For me it comes down to the bloke he replaces. If it were me I would go Dixon for Farrell. Dixon will at least match Farrell's output in terms of disposal and goals but will bring more players into the game. Play him along side Howard so we're less predictable going forward and neither get double teamed.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One trundle in the SANFL coming back from a serious break is just not enough to be called up for this game you are basically down a rotation from the get-go.

AFC AFeederClub

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember when Tredrea kicked 7 against Norwood in early 2007 after a 9 month layoff. Was rushed back for the Showdown the following week and was soundly beaten.
all your historical fact are ruining Charlie's hopes, i you feel proud of yourself :p

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I remember when Tredrea kicked 7 against Norwood in early 2007 after a 9 month layoff. Was rushed back for the Showdown the following week and was soundly beaten.
One cross country Hinkleyball foray up and back he'll be cooked.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One cross country Hinkleyball foray up and back he'll be cooked.

Yep. Kicking 5.2 against an undersized SANFL standard defence is one thing, the gut running needed against an AFL drilled and AFL fit defence is something else. Also don't discount how sore Charlie would be after that hit out. Footy is an incredibly taxing game, if the body, especially a 6 foot 8, 110kg body is using and exerting muscles, joints and bones that have not been under such duress for a very long time, it's going to take some time to acclimatise. A second or even third run in the SANFL will do Charlie and the team a world of good.

Sep 27, 2004
Burton
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Southampton FC
I observed Charlie very close up on Saturday and imo, he no where near ready for AFL from a match fitness point of view. Hammer looks ready to go and Ollie although blowing hard at times should be ok. Drew was very good and I was also impressed by Sutclffe.

Iwish

XUS NEK
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree so anything less than 7 or 8 wins in our remaining 11 games is unacceptable. I hope the club feels the same and puts Ken on notice in regards to this. No excuses to not finish in the 8 considering we are in 7th place right now

I'd rather play our A team instead of keeping depth in the side. If Hartlett isn't selected for AFL duties, we should seriously consider trading him. Bonner is a casualty of 4 top line players returning and an overstacked defence needing to be rebalanced.

I understand where you're coming from here but Bonner just had a 3 goal game off of half back, two of those goals being 55 metre bombs. That wasn't just a solid 'depth' performance, that was a starring role.

Back