Opinion Changes v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Howard should play where he would be of greatest value to the team. Right now, that's as a KPF. If Dixon returns, Howard's most valuable contribution will probably be in defence.

In: Charlie Dixon, Hamish Hartlett, Tom Rockliff, Ollie Wines
Out: Matthew Broadbent, Sam Gray, Jarrod Lienert, Riley Bonner

B: Ryan Burton ~ Tom Clurey ~ Darcy Byrne-Jones
HB: Tom Jonas ~ Dougal Howard ~ Hamish Hartlett
C: Xavier Duursma ~ Ollie Wines ~ Dan Houston
HF: Connor Rozee ~ Charlie Dixon ~ Steven Motlop
F: Robbie Gray ~ Paddy Ryder ~ Justin Westhoff
Fol: Scott Lycett ~ Sam Powell-Pepper ~ Travis Boak

I/C: Tom Rockliff ~ Zak Butters ~ Kane Farrell ~ Karl Amon

So in’s are - 1 x Key forward, 2 x inside mids and 1 x defender
Out’s are - 1 x small forward, 3 x defender.

Love the team balance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How often in AFL history has a team had four unforced changes after a 70-point win? Although I concur with almost all of the sentiment here, we know it's not going to happen.
Yep, it’s unknown who yet, but it’ll be one or two ‘senior’ (as in they have lots of experience at disappointing us) players in for a couple of youngsters.

SPP's disposal by foot is a concern, but no less so than Wines whose kicking is now borderline horrendous, epitomised by that absolute Barry Crocker in Tassie a season or so back when he had no opponent in the same post code when only about 35 metres from goal on a slight angle and he dropped the ball sideways onto his foot with the laces facing backwards o_O, and it went exactly where it should have gone given that technique, ie at right angles and out of bounds on the full.

If a 10 yo had a technique like that any coach worth his salt would pull him aside and give him a spray, and I doubt said player would be seen as captain material. :rolleyes:

So in’s are - 1 x Key forward, 2 x inside mids and 1 x defender
Out’s are - 1 x small forward, 3 x defender.

Love the team balance

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Current team includes:
9 defenders (Jonas, Howard, Clurey, Broadbent, Lienert, Bonner, Burton, Houston, DBJ)
3 inside mids (Boak, SPP, R Gray)
5 outside mids/wingers (Duursma, Amon, Motlop, S Gray, Westhoff)
2 rucks (Ryder, Lycett)
3 Forwards (Farrell, Rozee, Butters)

So yes, removing some defenders for mids and forwards is good for team balance.

Don't mind Hartlett in for Broadbent but no-one else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the selectors won’t make too many changes to the side that disposed of St Kilda by 70 points. I can only see one unforced change - co captain Ollie in and one of Motlop, Farrrell, Sam Gray, Butters or Broadbent out. They can surely find like for like in my possible 5 omissions or perhaps a slight rejigging of the side to fit Ollie in.
Rockliff, Hammer, Charlie and Garner to play for the Maggie’s.
With that supposedly hard deck at Optus Stadium we don’t want guys coming back from leg injuries to play on that surface. Another week with the 2’s won’t do them any harm.
I know it’s putting off the inevitable but I can see big selection problems for the Cats game if we are successful this weekend. Anyway, GO THE POWER!!

Ollie missed 4 weeks and has had a game for match fitness in the SANFL where he clocked up 30+ touches. Leaving him out at this point is a tacit admission that they think he's a borderline selection and want him to earn his way back into the 22.

Ollie missed 4 weeks and has had a game for match fitness in the SANFL where he clocked up 30+ touches. Leaving him out at this point is a tacit admission that they think he's a borderline selection and want him to earn his way back into the 22.
That should be reality.

Considering Rockliff travelled to China a fortnight earlier to play only to be ruled out late, you'd have to say he is an absolute lock to come in.

I thought Dixon would be given another week in the SANFL but am a little surprised that Wines has been ruled out.

I'm looking forward to Hartlett returning but i'm interested to know what he looked like out there for those that attended the SANFL on the weekend, his stats don't scream pick me?

Farrell is a natural and consistent goal kicker. I’m not sure we can afford to leave him out.
He's the most accurate goal kicker we have at the moment. But it seems to me it's a particular type of opportunity he's getting a lot of and that's set shots, and often from a relatively uncontested possession. I don't recall him getting many if any from the contested possessions or the physical marking contests that Rozee and the Gray 'brothers' do. He's played 9 games, only 2 goalless, 3 of them 2-3 goals and I'm grateful for that but I don't think that locks him in. Furthermore having seen the accuracy and fierce contested marking of Tobin Cox in the Maggies a few weeks ago I think Farrell has a serious rival for that small forward niche spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back