Opinion Changes v Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with this, but I still wouldn't have him in this week. He shouldn't have been dropped while Broadbent was still in the side, but now that Broady is most likely about to make way for Hartlett and we may well lose another player from our overloaded defence for Rockliff, I'm not sure who else would go out for him.

You watch Farrell get dropped for Hartlett now ;)

Ken knows lots about footy. Said so on AA tonight when responding to a callers text... laughed at it, he’s definitely never read BigFooty!
His reply was OK. The comment was really bad! Accusing Hinkley of playing the kids over the experienced players... Come on!

I think this week is clear enough.

Broady for Hammer
one of Lienert/Bonner for Rockliff

Next week i am more interested in. If Dixon is back, I would love to see Howard and Dixon forward. This would mean Westhoff should be the man to go out. Will it happen though? No chance....Ken doesn't like to upset his favourites.

Broady for Hammer

Next week i am more interested in. If Dixon is back, I would love to see Howard and Dixon forward. This would mean Westhoff should be the man to go out. Will it happen though? No chance....Ken doesn't like to upset his favourites.
I think it will be Farrell for Rocky to be honest. Then Robbie to play more forward.

I think it will be Farrell for Rocky to be honest. Then Robbie to play more forward.
could be mate. I love Farrell. Definition of efficient. if he has 5 touches inside forward 50 you can be guaranteed its two goals. I personally dont think we can afford to be without such a reliable kicker of the footy at goal.

Broady for Hammer

No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

could be mate. I love Farrell. Definition of efficient. if he has 5 touches inside forward 50 you can be guaranteed its two goals. I personally dont think we can afford to be without such a reliable kicker of the footy at goal.
I tend to agree with you mate but we’re talking about Ken Hinkley here. Can’t see him dropping two of his beloved defenders.

Knowledge =/= wisdom, Ken. You've got more information than the average punter does but that doesn't mean you're any good at using it.
Hinkley doesn't even have knowledge. As you say he has a lot of information which is just a refined form of data. Knowledge implies a understanding that enables the information to be useful.

When a senior AFL coach rates repeat inside 50s and time in forward half (information) above actually scoring goals you know they lack knowledge and have been seduced by stats snake oil salesmen.

I'm ready for Sam Gray staying in, missing shots from 30 metres out, over Farrell, because 'pressure acts' >> goals.

Rockliff into the midfield, Houston up forward to lock the ball in/kick goals and swap into the midfield, Farrell out. We want players who actively try to keep the ball locked inside forward 50 but also have the ability to dispose efficiently. Farrell does one, Houston does both.

Hartlett into defence to do the role that Houston was doing, Bonner out (because there's no way Bonner would have played if Hartlett had came up for the game in Shanghai). Hartlett can do everything that Bonner does better.

The more interesting conundrum will happen next week against Geelong.

Rockliff into the midfield, Houston up forward to lock the ball in/kick goals and swap into the midfield, Farrell out. We want players who actively try to keep the ball locked inside forward 50 but also have the ability to dispose efficiently. Farrell does one, Houston does both.

Hartlett into defence to do the role that Houston was doing, Bonner out (because there's no way Bonner would have played if Hartlett had came up for the game in Shanghai). Hartlett can do everything that Bonner does better.

with Dixon back - One of Hoff/Ryder will have to go.

with Dixon back - One of Hoff/Ryder will have to go.

I can't see that happening either. The good thing with Dixon being out is we have had to experiment and try players up there, it hasn't always worked but we probably have learnt a few things. Ken will go back to what Ken knows as soon as he can - and I bet for the same result.

I like that but...

I would assume Howard and Houston will spend most of their time down back, maybe a little time up forward or mid. I can't see Ken suddenly changing things up in the forward line because he's probably been dreaming to have S Grey and Dixon back there together. Keen to see who makes way for the seniors who come in over the next few weeks, melts a plenty.

I like that but...

I would assume Howard and Houston will spend most of their time down back, maybe a little time up forward or mid. I can't see Ken suddenly changing things up in the forward line because he's probably been dreaming to have S Grey and Dixon back there together. Keen to see who makes way for the seniors who come in over the next few weeks, melts a plenty.

Ken Hinkley has always loved the idea of a CHB who pushes deep forward and kicks goals. He tried getting Alipate Carlile to do it of all people. Howard has attributes to do it consistently. I've got no problem with him going back if that's how he's going to be deployed - having him anchored in defence all the time like Rance/McGovern is selling him short, IMO.

Sam Gray doesn't have a spot in this team once Dixon comes back. We've already seen that combination and it doesn't work - Gray isn't a groundball forward like Rozee, Butters, Motlop, Duursma and Amon are. He's more a poor man's Monfries. Add Houston to the mix up forward - who is good at ground level as well - and you've got your forward line set.

Wines will come in for a defender. I don't really care who. Cases could be made for Broadbent (good defender but slow), Lienert (good defender but hesitant) and Byrne-Jones (not a very good defender but fast). If it's not Lienert, it will be when Watts comes back (and I hope he does).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back