Prediction Changes v GCs

What hilarious changes will we make this week?

• Out: RO'B, In: Jacobs

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Out: CE-Y

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Out: Jenkins

Votes: 61 59.2%
  • Out: Kelly

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Out: Murphy

Votes: 71 68.9%
  • In: Stengle

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • In: Himmelberg

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • In: The FOG

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Out: Mackay

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • In: Gibbs

Votes: 66 64.1%
  • In: Wilson

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • In: Greenwood

Votes: 87 84.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And apart from Jenkins all they took out of Saturday's debacle was that our 2nd youngest player Poholke needed to go

A week after he forced his way in on strong SANFL form
We’re all about continuity. Unless you’re an SANFL player, then you get 1 game to get up to speed before you get dumped.

A lot of it has to do with we've invested a lot of money into the only two options he could replace in our forward line. There is no spot for him up forward, and won't be for a couple of seasons unless we do something very un-Adelaide like and commit to a rebuild. By playing Fogarty forward in the SANFL, you are essentially wasting your time.
Club went part of the way by dropping JJ.
As I am in SA for Easter, I could see the SANFL game today on TV. JJ was essentially useless forward or in ruck, but not convinced on that small sample that Fog is quite ready yet - looked a bit lacking in fitness I thought

1)I think you need to look at whether a players success is a result of the good play up the field or whether they are solely generating it themselves. 2) I have always felt he has capitalised on the good work of others. He is like a lot of our players, good when its on his own terms but drops his head when there is some hard work involved. 3) The problem with Jenkins is that he doesn't have a footballers instincts. Never has, never will.
1) It's a bit of both, isn't it? But really good players make things happen (Jenkins doesn't). They create, they mark strongly under pressure, they intercept, they tap on to advantage, they run and bounce and set someone up, and I mean another Crow! :)
Betts, for example, can turn the tightest of situations into a goal for us, with second-, third- and even fourth-efforts. Jenkins doesn't create or make things happen. He waits for things to happen, his way.
2) Agree totally.
3) I've been arguing this in several threads for months now. Jenkins has the default instincts of a basketballer. He has learned to get the ball to ground (a plus) and averages 2 goals/game for us (also ok) but for his size and fitness he's an underachiever with only 2 tackles/game. His 5-year contract overrated him and put him into complacent mode. Worst of all, I see no indications that Jenkins is striving to improve, or he'd be better than he was in 2016.
He's not.

He tore it up in the SANFL today, was Crows best with Wilson. JJ average.
Maybe Poholke is just one of those very good SANFL players without the whatever-it-takes to make AFL level?
Or perhaps we just play the kids out of their natural positions....thus making Mackay look like a 200 plus game elite player...his selection assured indefinitely

Maybe Poholke is just one of those very good SANFL players without the whatever-it-takes to make AFL level?
Or perhaps we could actually give Poholke a go in the midfield at afl level instead of trying to make him a half forward flank when we elevate him each time.

I am not sure what the hell is going on down there anymore. Seen this many times before and ends in the coach getting sacked. I know Pyke is not the man to carry the club forward but we need a complete cleanout top to bottom. Club needs to set a vision of where we want to go and why and take a brutally honest evaluation of where we are at. Your either part of that vision or your out. For starters we need to stop overrating our list. We are an average team currently. Partly due to poor coaching and partly due to poor attitude.

Last edited:
Can't have Milera across half back and pinch hitting in the midfield. Our structure doesn't allow it.

We have a set back 7 with one on the bench at all times. They play as a set unit, train together in the preseason, work with their direct line coach. No room for any overlap.

Only way for Milera to get any midfield time is to shift him into the vacated Douglas HFF/Mid role.

Sure, Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne at times played midfield and across half back for the Hawks but what would those clowns know?

We are beholden to our structure. And it's delivered us middling results. Yet we are married to it.
Correct... Milera, Gibbs, Smith & Laird could easily rotate as half back mids.

Then Sloane, Greenwood & Brouch as forward mids.

Keeps the opposition guessing & allows us more flexibility.

Playing Fog as a backman in the SANFL so our bunch of spud forwards can keep their spots.....Crows are helplessly lost....we are now guilty of wreaking players development....not helping it.
All the preseason jokes about Carlton and Port....but look at the AFC ....how embarrassing.
St Kilda will slaughter the Crows next week....no matter what happens against GC.

And apart from Jenkins all they took out of Saturday's debacle was that our 2nd youngest player Poholke needed to go

A week after he forced his way in on strong SANFL form
... when played mostly away from his preferred & in form position.

Bicks - this is exactly the reason why I said I wanted him given a second go in the midfield, rather than mostly as a forward.

We are idiots with our use of younger players.

Pyke said he wants players to play to their strengths... well then he needs to play them in the friggin right roles then, no matter of seniority for the overall best of the team.

Or perhaps we just play the kids out of their natural positions....thus making Mackay look like a 200 plus game elite player...his selection assured indefinitely
+
Or perhaps we could actually give Poholke a go in the midfield at afl level instead of trying to make him a half forward flank when we elevate him each time.

I like Poholke and would like to see him as an AFL success. This was an open question, not a dig at Poholke:
"Maybe Poholke is just one of those very good SANFL players without the whatever-it-takes to make AFL level? "
I don't pick the side, or decide where they play. Is he a better mid than Sloane and the Crouch Bros.?
No.
So, if selected he has to play where they put him and make the best of it in his own way, like all newbies, but he might have had a couple of 5-8 minute rotations as a mid, even just to change things up when NM were getting on top. That would take some imagination and risk that Pyke seems not to have.
Even so, playing someone with huge potential for only the one game seems ... unfair. How's he going to adapt to the pace of the AFL in the twos? Our team selections mystify me.

Milera, Gibbs, Smith & Laird could easily rotate as half back mids.
Then Sloane, Greenwood & Brouch as forward mids.
Keeps the opposition guessing & allows us more flexibility.
Read this, thought "This is brilliant" :thumbsu:.
That Pyke et al don't do this is appalling. Pyke's a proponent of flexibility. Why doesn't he see this, too? :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club went part of the way by dropping JJ.
As I am in SA for Easter, I could see the SANFL game today on TV. JJ was essentially useless forward or in ruck, but not convinced on that small sample that Fog is quite ready yet - looked a bit lacking in fitness I thought
Fog needs to lose some weight. Legs look extremely heavy. Needs to lose a stone imo.

+

I like Poholke and would like to see him as an AFL success. This was an open question, not a dig at Poholke:
"Maybe Poholke is just one of those very good SANFL players without the whatever-it-takes to make AFL level? "
I don't pick the side, or decide where they play. Is he a better mid than Sloane and the Crouch Bros.?
No.
So, if selected he has to play where they put him and make the best of it in his own way, like all newbies, but he might have had a couple of 5-8 minute rotations as a mid, even just to change things up when NM were getting on top. That would take some imagination and risk that Pyke seems not to have.
Even so, playing someone with huge potential for only the one game seems ... unfair. How's he going to adapt to the pace of the AFL in the twos? Our team selections mystify me.
How do we know that he’s not a better mid than Matt Crouch for example? I love Mrouch but his disposal is weak and he has no offensive game. Poholke regularly hits the scoreboard in the sanfl and racks up the touches. Now I don’t think he will exceed Mrouch but he is smashing the door down and atleast deserves a shot particularly given the seniors side isn’t picking itself imo.

Read this, thought "This is brilliant" :thumbsu:.
That Pyke et al don't do this is appalling. Pyke's a proponent of flexibility. Why doesn't he see this, too? :huh:
but its already happening milera and gibbs rotated back and mid against geelong and brouch and sloan played mid forward in the same game.maybe harder to see on tv. the coaches make far more moves or have preconvieced (more likely) rotations than some on here would like to acknowledge. I want to not rotate Milera through the mids at the moment so we have someone who can kick from defense.

JJ average? He was absolutely putrid.
Actually, we're in agreement. It's a matter of degree/context.
"JJ average" expanded means he put in an average performance for a SANFL player. If he keeps playing like that, he'll stay there. Average, putrid, it wasn't the performance of a bloke busting himself to get back into the senior side.

How do we know that he’s not a better mid than Matt Crouch for example?
.... Now I don’t think he will exceed Mrouch ...
You answered your own question. :)
Poholke is only 20, very talented, big future and did what a good player does ie played hard after being dropped. That tells the selectors he's not a sook like Jenkins and probably showed them where he should be played as well. If he sustains that, he must be picked again.
I'd like to see him rotating with BCrouch through the midfield, both resting forward.

You answered your own question. :)
Poholke is only 20, very talented, big future and did what a good player does ie played hard after being dropped. That tells the selectors he's not a sook like Jenkins and probably showed them where he should be played as well. If he sustains that, he must be picked again.
I'd like to see him rotating with BCrouch through the midfield, both resting forward.
I like this idea, both can play forward quite well. But it requires our club to play our younger players in the same position in the SANFL and AFL sides unlike how they have treated Poholke to date.

Play with a rigid structure and only play the youngsters in the available holes is how Pyke likes run. Flexibility of senior players....yeah right

but its already happening milera and gibbs rotated back and mid against geelong and brouch and sloan played mid forward in the same game.maybe harder to see on tv. the coaches make far more moves or have preconvieced (more likely) rotations than some on here would like to acknowledge. I want to not rotate Milera through the mids at the moment so we have someone who can kick from defense.
did they rotate back or did they get swapped at half time?

I see it as Gibbs wasn't performing plus the midfield needed a lift so they moved Gibbs back as he wasn't effective in mids and made Milera a mid for the 2nd half. It was basically part 1 of dropping Gibbs with his continued poor game once moved ba meaning he was then dropped rather than us making that the move for him for the next game

Back