Unofficial Preview Changes V Geelong (Reid rested, Ramsay dropped. Smith and Dunn in)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunn is okay, although watching Scharenberg at VFL was really blowing hard, not sure of his fitness. I can't even type the other one starting with M.
Not surprised he was knackered given the amount of ball that was being pumped in to our defensive 50!

Dunn is okay, although watching Scharenberg at VFL was really blowing hard, not sure of his fitness. I can't even type the other one starting with M.

Maggie5 leave Shazza alone.........chasing scrubber kicks and tails in that rubbish game last week would tire out the bionic man!

Looking forward to him playing seniors........his time has arrived!

Maggie5 leave Shazza alone.........chasing scrubber kicks and tails in that rubbish game last week would tire out the bionic man!

Looking forward to him playing seniors........his time has arrived!
Hey, I love him, only calling it as I saw it up close and personal.
Also he has a remarkable temperament, face showing little each time he came off and listened to instructions.
Just thought he may have needed another game in VFL for fitness.

Hey, I love him, only calling it as I saw it up close and personal.
Also he has a remarkable temperament, face showing little each time he came off and listened to instructions.
Just thought he may have needed another game in VFL for fitness.

He won't gain anything anymore IMO in the VFL...........it's time to play our future.

Just play him Bucks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pleased that Schazza is back. He needs to play senior footy and lots of it. We may not see his best for a while, and plenty will probably call for his head after some less than stellar games, but he is one player we have to persist with.

Ladies & Gentlemen, a friendly bit of advice if you will.

Geelong @ the line, -25.5, could be one of the weekends great bankers.

Betting against the Pies when playing the Cats is fraught with danger.

Pleased that Schazza is back. He needs to play senior footy and lots of it. We may not see his best for a while, and plenty will probably call for his head after some less than stellar games, but he is one player we have to persist with.

Agree. He needs an extended run in the ones.

Broomy & Crisp named in VFL side. Doesn't mean it can't change, but it gives an idea of what they're thinking.

Not too fussed with selection given we're simply shuffling the deck chairs and the AFL require an extended bench to be named. Basically the result will come down to how we win possession through turnover and 50/50 contests and how we move it once we do. Realistically of the potential outs we're replacing c graders with c graders (Reid has actually been that quality this year unfortunately).

My hope for changes is it'll just be Dunn for Reid, but that obviously won't take place so we'll definitely see Smith for Ramsay as well. It then comes down to how Buckley wants to structure the side.

Based on how we've played this year expect the unexpected come this evening, but for me the next most obvious solution out of what they've done at selection is Shaz for Phillips or Broomhead and we then shuffle Varcoe forward. It's definitely not what I'd do, but it's what I expect we'll see. With Menzel out they aren't overly dangerous at ground level I50 with only Motlop a real threat, IMO, so we'll try to win it in the air and protect Dunn v Hawkins at the same time.

With Shaz and Howe zoning off to intercept and the midfield to restricting the flow of ball we may keep their score to a manageable level. Greenwood will go to Selwood and get torched up because the others (Duncan, Guthrie and Menegola) have stepped up significantly in the 12 months since we last played Geelong and they'll work overtime to get him going. Bews has come in specifically to sit on Elliott so that'll be a challenge for him. Baguley and Robertson were matchups designed to give a bit the other way whereas this one is pure shutdown.

I'm not too concerned with any of the defensive matchups and we'll take it up to them through the middle. If we run the game out (5 day break iffy), pull our zone back a little (winning the ball), don't overcommit too many numbers at contests (winning the ball), use the overlap (move the ball) and don't overpossess (move the ball) we'll have a chance. That said it's a lot to hope for given what we've seen to this point...

Not too fussed with selection given we're simply shuffling the deck chairs and the AFL require an extended bench to be named. Basically the result will come down to how we win possession through turnover and 50/50 contests and how we move it once we do. Realistically of the potential outs we're replacing c graders with c graders (Reid has actually been that quality this year unfortunately).

My hope for changes is it'll just be Dunn for Reid, but that obviously won't take place so we'll definitely see Smith for Ramsay as well. It then comes down to how Buckley wants to structure the side.

Based on how we've played this year expect the unexpected come this evening, but for me the next most obvious solution out of what they've done at selection is Shaz for Phillips or Broomhead and we then shuffle Varcoe forward. It's definitely not what I'd do, but it's what I expect we'll see. With Menzel out they aren't overly dangerous at ground level I50 with only Motlop a real threat, IMO, so we'll try to win it in the air and protect Dunn v Hawkins at the same time.

With Shaz and Howe zoning off to intercept and the midfield to restricting the flow of ball we may keep their score to a manageable level. Greenwood will go to Selwood and get torched up because the others (Duncan, Guthrie and Menegola) have stepped up significantly in the 12 months since we last played Geelong and they'll work overtime to get him going. Bews has come in specifically to sit on Elliott so that'll be a challenge for him. Baguley and Robertson were matchups designed to give a bit the other way whereas this one is pure shutdown.

I'm not too concerned with any of the defensive matchups and we'll take it up to them through the middle. If we run the game out (5 day break iffy), pull our zone back a little (winning the ball), don't overcommit too many numbers at contests (winning the ball), use the overlap (move the ball) and don't overpossess (move the ball) we'll have a chance. That said it's a lot to hope for given what we've seen to this point...
Hmmm, all sounds logical. The only thing I'd add, is lightning fast movement of the ball into the forward line to give our forwards a chance.

Ultimately, a 5 day break plus lack of confidence will probably mean we'll be looking for win number 2 against the Blues.

Hmmm, all sounds logical. The only thing I'd add, is lightning fast movement of the ball into the forward line to give our forwards a chance.

Ultimately, a 5 day break plus lack of confidence will probably mean we'll be looking for win number 2 against the Blues.

Yep ball movement is the key to fixing our forward woes in order to isolate our weapons in attack. We don't have any issues getting it in their or keeping it their once we do it's more about how we start the chain. David Parkin only a few weeks ago talked about how we play and what he said resonated with me more than any other media commentary on us this year.

It was really simple he said "movement creates movement". We're a pressure based team we're all on the same page with that one I assume (?) so in essence what we need in order to get things going is to have more of what's known in the industry as "spitters" at the contest. Their purpose isn't to create pressure, but to create chaos and movement. They come into the contest and then go out of it in the hope of getting the ball from a flat footed teammate and they then feed it out to an overlap runner.

Right now we're gun shy off half back because we overpossess at the stoppage and don't have guys in the back half capable of covering for runners if they pull the trigger and we lose the contest. I'm getting a bit more technical here, but clubs are now really adept at shutting down the release handball out the back so we need to become a bit more creative with how we move it. To this point we haven't adapted. I only wish I had the time to attend our training and watch our stoppage drills and full ground ball movement to see what we're trying to do under little pressure and how we expect that to translate under legitimate pressure...

One area to watch on Sunday is how they setup up at stoppages and whether they structure up defensively to allow us to have stoppage dominance!

Would have liked to see Rupert Wills back this week. He's played a couple of games in the ressies, without setting the world on fire, but his tackling and attack on the man would have been useful in closing down Geelong's handball movement.

Shaz isnt exactly dominating the VFL, I dont get the "its time, just play him" comments. He will struggle just as much as Ramsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back