Unofficial Preview Changes V Geelong (Reid rested, Ramsay dropped. Smith and Dunn in)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll do better in the speed and agility stakes than what Schaz will, though.
And that's why i said i would rather have Varcoe there.

Do you know this a fact that Smith is faster than Scharenberg?

While Scharenberg has many genuine reasons for still being a work in progress I just can't get that excited by him yet.

He wasn't quick to begin with and the two knee reconstructions aren't going to help and it seems he does his best work playing as the 7th defender.

He's a neat player with ball in hand but doesn't slice opposition open with powerful kicking and doesn't have the ability to break the lines with run and carry,

People talk about him moving into the midfield eventually but most of his junior career was spent across half back also wasn't it?

Perhaps if he has Pendlebury like awareness and can read the play exceptionally well he can overcome his lack of speed.

In the year he was drafted I actually liked the Langdon highlights more and if Tom ever returns still feel he's the better prospect at present.

Hopefully he can stay fit for the full season and have me changing my mind before the end of it.

Schaz isn't in competition for a position with Smith. He is 191cm tall, slow, and he will have to displace one of Howe (190cm), Maynard (189cm), or Goldsack (193cm). Or, at a stretch, Dunn (192cm).

And anyway, Schaz has not been banging down the door in the VFL from what i have seen.
He is too slow to chase after nimble 175 - 180cm forwards, and that's why we need someone like Smith or Ramsay in the backline.

From my point though, i would rather have Varcoe play that role in the backline.
I like how you act as if Smith is fast. Really suits the narrative.

Thanks mate. Nothing special Fonze is just what people call me. I only just joined. Never heard of bigfooty till recently. Deadset changed my life. Great too see all other supporters opinions and views. Its also good to have conversations with others who actually know and love footy. Dunno if work is too happy with me on my phone all the time though.
Correctamoondo

While Scharenberg has many genuine reasons for still being a work in progress I just can't get that excited by him yet.

He wasn't quick to begin with and the two knee reconstructions aren't going to help and it seems he does his best work playing as the 7th defender.

He's a neat player with ball in hand but doesn't slice opposition open with powerful kicking and doesn't have the ability to break the lines with run and carry,

People talk about him moving into the midfield eventually but most of his junior career was spent across half back also wasn't it?

Perhaps if he has Pendlebury like awareness and can read the play exceptionally well he can overcome his lack of speed.

In the year he was drafted I actually liked the Langdon highlights more and if Tom ever returns still feel he's the better prospect at present.

Hopefully he can stay fit for the full season and have me changing my mind before the end of it.

Outside of Grundy,WHE,Howe and Wells. Not much else get Excited about in the 2017 Season

And that's why i said i would rather have Varcoe there.
Varcoe is smart, and experienced. I thought that he played a key role against Essendon.

(possibly I carry a little historic bias)

Varcoe is smart, and experienced. I thought that he played a key role against Essendon.

(possibly I carry a little historic bias)

Varcoe as been a fantastic pick up. I'm very surprized thought of him as a bit of a spud but what you say is all true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like how you act as if Smith is fast. Really suits the narrative.
No, Schaz is slow. He never was fast, and 2 reconstructions won't help i think. I would be worried about him trying to change direction when he tries to catch a smaller forward running at pace.
anyway, that's why i said VARCOE would be the one in that role, and Schaz will be battling against Howe, Maynard, Dunn, Goldy for a berth in the backline. He won't be the defender that looks after the small forward. We need one of them. Pretty much like what Shaw was. At this stage, CFC have picked Smith for that role. If it is not him, it certainly isn't Schaz for that role. Maybe Varcoe, Adams maybe, someone like that.

Anyway, Schaz needs to perform at VFL level, and he is not demanding to be picked, only the BF posters are, looking for a messiah. He is not there at this stage.

except for one game that I can think of in 2011 .....:)
Yep. i was thinking that when i was writing my reply to you, but then i thought that's not something i want to bring up. Unfortunately for me, you also have a good memory.

All i can say to that, though, is Varcoe only plays well when Collingwood is involved...:p

No, Schaz is slow. He never was fast, and 2 reconstructions won't help i think. I would be worried about him trying to change direction when he tries to catch a smaller forward running at pace.
anyway, that's why i said VARCOE would be the one in that role, and Schaz will be battling against Howe, Maynard, Dunn, Goldy for a berth in the backline. He won't be the defender that looks after the small forward. We need one of them. Pretty much like what Shaw was. At this stage, CFC have picked Smith for that role. If it is not him, it certainly isn't Schaz for that role. Maybe Varcoe, Adams maybe, someone like that.

Anyway, Schaz needs to perform at VFL level, and he is not demanding to be picked, only the BF posters are, looking for a messiah. He is not there at this stage.
It's still funny that you think Smith will 'look after' a small forward. Watch him run off to get the ball while his opponent runs free and kicks some easy goals. And he's been named on a HBF, so it's not like they're even looking to have him take a nippy forward pocket like Motlop. They'll probably put Goldsack on him because he has actual genuine speed and is accountable.

You reckon Schaz isn't performing at VFL level, yet Smith is dropped and gets recalled without playing. Pretty cool that he was required to perform at a lower level to regain his spot..... oh wait.

It's still funny that you think Smith will 'look after' a small forward. Watch him run off to get the ball while his opponent runs free and kicks some easy goals. And he's been named on a HBF, so it's not like they're even looking to have him take a nippy forward pocket like Motlop. They'll probably put Goldsack on him because he has actual genuine speed and is accountable.

You reckon Schaz isn't performing at VFL level, yet Smith is dropped and gets recalled without playing. Pretty cool that he was required to perform at a lower level to regain his spot..... oh wait.
Again, It's not Schaz V Smith. If you think Schaz should be in, tell me who he replaces. Howe? Maynard? Goldy? Dunn? You pick one of them, because arguing Schaz in place of Smith is like arguing Blair to replace Moore.
Whether you like Smith or not, he is not competing with Schaz. Perhaps suggest someone appropriate to replace Smith in that role.
It's not Schaz...

Again, It's not Schaz V Smith. If you think Schaz should be in, tell me who he replaces. Howe? Maynard? Goldy? Dunn? You pick one of them, because arguing Schaz in place of Smith is like arguing Blair to replace Moore.
Whether you like Smith or not, he is not competing with Schaz. Perhaps suggest someone appropriate to replace Smith in that role.
It's not Schaz...
It's not Schaz v Smith in your opinion.

It's not Schaz v Smith in your opinion.
Yes, that's true. I believe we need balance in the backline, with at least one smaller player to look after the small crumbing forwards that most other teams have. It seems this is also the opinion of the CFC, the selection comittee, and coaches.

But truly, my opinion is that i would have Varcoe or Adams to be that player in place of Smith in the backline.
I also won't have Schaz in the best 22 at this stage. He hasn't shown anything apart from an accurate kick when there is no pressure. He is slow, and i don't like slow defenders at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back