Prediction Changes v Geelong - Round 23, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw has been adding nothing for most of the season, one of our glaring weak links. Getting by on reputation…..

Not sure the wing is a position for somebody with below average endurance, leg speed and disposal. Obviously not his choice but I can’t imagine if we put someone else there that they would add any less….. don’t see us making any significant changes pre finals though.

"The Demons have had by far the most settled line-up this season, with 10 players running out in all 21 rounds so far, five missing only one match and another two players sitting out twice. That has often left the Demons with only five starting positions to fill outside of their core group of 17." https://www.afl.com.au/news/666619/the-top-four-team-that-must-defy-history-to-win-the-flag

Presuming that makes Brayshaw and possibly even Jordron relatively undroppable, leaves the following vying for six spots (five if Hunt gets fit):

Sparrow, Petty (lock), Hibberd, Harms (lock), Viney, Brown (lock), Melksham, Viney, Jones, Weidemann, Chandler, Bowey, AVB, Jetta, Baker, Joel Smith. And anybody who hasn't played.

An interesting way to look at things.

There's no way Viney doesn't come in. I'd suggest our 'best' team (ie. what they'll pick, and to be fair they've been pretty good) looks like this.

Lever May Bowey
Rivers Petty Salem
Langdon Harmes Brayshaw
ANB McDonald Fritsch
Spargo Brown Pickett
Gawn Petracca Oliver
Jackson Viney Hunt

With Hibberd/Melksham/Jordon vying for that last spot depending on who we're playing.

Our lucky run of injury this year reminds me of Richmond's break through year in 2017.

They had very, very little injuries and especially their backline just clicked. Vlaustin, Grimes, Astbury, Houli really stepped up around Rance who was already a star.

Their pressure was insane and they were so good at guarding space and getting the ball back off the opposition, especially on the MCG.

Same could be said about our backline: May and Lever both the stars but hadn't found any true synergy until this year. Salem, Tomlinson (before injury), Petty (after tommo's injury), Rivers all stepping up significantly, Hibb recovering some form, Hunt finding some consistency (for him).

Defense wins premierships and defenses arguably need the most cohesion to find their feet. There has been some important structural moves that has helped out defense as well, but I think having the personel all play so much footy together has really helped.

Our lucky run of injury this year reminds me of Richmond's break through year in 2017.

They had very, very little injuries and especially their backline just clicked. Vlaustin, Grimes, Astbury, Houli really stepped up around Rance who was already a star.

Their pressure was insane and they were so good at guarding space and getting the ball back off the opposition, especially on the MCG.

Same could be said about our backline: May and Lever both the stars but hadn't found any true synergy until this year. Salem, Tomlinson (before injury), Petty (after tommo's injury), Rivers all stepping up significantly, Hibb recovering some form, Hunt finding some consistency (for him).

Defense wins premierships and defenses arguably need the most cohesion to find their feet. There has been some important structural moves that has helped out defense as well, but I think having the personel all play so much footy together has really helped.

Agree with all of it except the nuts thing is that they defense really hasn't.
Bowey, Petty, Hunt and Rivers haven't played much together at all. Lever May and Salem the only 3 now.

There's no way Viney doesn't come in. I'd suggest our 'best' team (ie. what they'll pick, and to be fair they've been pretty good) looks like this.

Lever May Bowey
Rivers Petty Salem
Langdon Harmes Brayshaw
ANB McDonald Fritsch
Spargo Brown Pickett
Gawn Petracca Oliver
Jackson Viney Hunt

With Hibberd/Melksham/Jordon vying for that last spot depending on who we're playing.
Remember the job Hibberd did on Martin earlier in the year? I could see him getting the nod against the Cats to play a similar role on Dangerfield if/when he drifts forward. Might be handy on Rohan otherwise

Remember the job Hibberd did on Martin earlier in the year? I could see him getting the nod against the Cats to play a similar role on Dangerfield if/when he drifts forward. Might be handy on Rohan otherwise
Funny enough Joel Smith would be the perfect match up on Rohan..

has there ever been a more over rated player than Rohan?

Agree with all of it except the nuts thing is that they defense really hasn't.
Bowey, Petty, Hunt and Rivers haven't played much together at all. Lever May and Salem the only 3 now.

Yeah, I really didn't think Bowey/Petty/Rivers would be playing to such a high standard already. It's crazy.

Shows how much easier it is to come into a team/area of the ground where there are excellent players that are natural leaders who show up each and every week and can help you out.

Watching Petty come in and almost outplay Tomlinson in his role was something I really didn't expect to happen so fast.

has there ever been a more over rated player than Rohan?
May be overrated at times, but he's still pivotal to their forward set up. Has kicked 28.15 which is pretty good for a forward in today's game where there isn't big scoring.

Type of player that can easily bang on 3 quick goals with his pace and marking ability up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May be overrated at times, but he's still pivotal to their forward set up. Has kicked 28.15 which is pretty good for a forward in today's game where there isn't big scoring.

Type of player that can easily bang on 3 quick goals with his pace and marking ability up forward.
And this is probably a career best year for him which goes to show how over rated he has been over the journey

They also didn't start scoring until late in the year :moustache:

Richmond in 2017 were the lowest scoring top 4 side since Sydney 2005 until about round 18 or so when they blew Freo away and found their mojo.

Joel Smith still in the team? I know he had a good game last week but Hibbo has more milage with the rest of the back six, somewhat concerns me leading into finals.

Sparrow vs. Jordon is an interesting call too. I'm not in love with how inside the midfield is.

I think like people have said, we know what we're getting from Hibberd and he's a solid option in any given final. Doesn't hurt to give Smith another game now to build on and help with the selection decisions and depth moving forward

Bit of an eyebrow rasier but we've put ourselves in a position to be able to test the mix in this game. I agree with other posters in that I trust Hibberd more than Smith against quality opposition, but I've also learned to back our selectors in after the year we've had. Here's hoping they've nailed this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back