Unofficial Preview Changes v Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say that was one of my takeaways. I think he benefited in the last from Neale getting off the chain a bit, because one of the most reliable outlets for Neale is a lightning handball to Lyons heading into space, but until then he was struggling to have an impact and I was wondering if he might be on the chopping block next week.

Led our disposals, clearances, tackles and score involvements also equal most Metres gained for our midfielders and second most contested possessions.

Not hugely influential but definitely played his role

I can't say that was one of my takeaways. I think he benefited in the last from Neale getting off the chain a bit, because one of the most reliable outlets for Neale is a lightning handball to Lyons heading into space, but until then he was struggling to have an impact and I was wondering if he might be on the chopping block next week.
Neale only got off the chain early, had 11 possessions at quarter time and ended on 25 for the game. Thought Lyons actually ended playing Neale's role since Shiels basically tagged Lachie out of it after half time.

Not time for a complete rebuild but we have to start questioning whether or not Lyons and to a lesser extent Rich are going to take us to a flag. Both going ok at the moment and with luck this could still be our year. However I think this is an opportunity to give games to possible replacements long term. DevRobbo and Wilmont have shown enough to get a chance.

Not suggesting either Rich or Lyons should be dropped.

I think Dev should come in for Hugh and get a three week run so we can see how far off he is from replacing Lyons.

Wilmont for Darcy or Noah. injuries appear to be really hampering Darcy, I am not sure if he is ever going to get back to the player he was two years ago. Giants have a short attack. Or Noah a 100 % defensive intensity and running ability but ball handling and disposal still real issues.

Maho not the answer, gets a lot of the ball in the VFL but doesn’t do enough with it. Love Lester but again we need to be looking to the future.

Not time for a complete rebuild but we have to start questioning whether or not Lyons and to a lesser extent Rich are going to take us to a flag. Both going ok at the moment and with luck this could still be our year. However I think this is an opportunity to give games to possible replacements long term. DevRobbo and Wilmont have shown enough to get a chance.

Not suggesting either Rich or Lyons should be dropped.

I think Dev should come in for Hugh and get a three week run so we can see how far off he is from replacing Lyons.

Wilmont for Darcy or Noah. injuries appear to be really hampering Darcy, I am not sure if he is ever going to get back to the player he was two years ago. Giants have a short attack. Or Noah a 100 % defensive intensity and running ability but ball handling and disposal still real issues.

Maho not the answer, gets a lot of the ball in the VFL but doesn’t do enough with it. Love Lester but again we need to be looking to the future.

When you say future, how far ahead are you looking?

Neale only got off the chain early, had 11 possessions at quarter time and ended on 25 for the game. Thought Lyons actually ended playing Neale's role since Shiels basically tagged Lachie out of it after half time.
Neale was good early but I was thinking in the fourth when he turned it on again, and really tried to drag us over the line. After being unsigned for some time, Lyons started shining then too.

Think the problem with Lyons is when we get opened up defensively on transition, which happened on a number of occasions yesterday, he is usually the one on replay trailing from behind; Not sure that is a laziness issue, I just don't think he has the pace to keep up. Another reason why I'd like to see Dev get a run, but I'm not sure if his cards have been marked.

Last edited:
Led our disposals, clearances, tackles and score involvements also equal most Metres gained for our midfielders and second most contested possessions.

Not hugely influential but definitely played his role

Lyons went ok 🤣.

Our lounge room perceptions are sometimes so far off reality is astonishing.

When you say future, how far ahead are you looking?
The future starts now!

But I was thinking about the review we will need to have at the end of this season if we have another poor finals series. Who are the guys that potentially would need to be replaced to improve the team? I guess the focus will be on players approaching the end of their careers and who replaces them. I think we need to take the opportunities that are presented to see what younger players can do. I would be very concerned if DevRobbo was considering leaving due to lack of opportunities.

And I forgot to say I wouldn’t mind seeing how Michael would go as a possible Longer term (2 years) Rich replacement.

Think the problem with Lyons is when we get opened up defensively on transition which happened on a number of occasions yesterday, he is usually the one on replay trailing from behind; Not sure that is a laziness issue, I just don't think he has the pace to keep up. Another reason why I'd like to see Dev get a run, but I'm not sure if his cards have been marked.
Lyons is a great player and most weeks leads our tackle count when the ball inside in clinches
Problem we have is teams with speed cut us to pieces with overlap handball and run.
Teams that run hard 2 way and make space kill us.
Lyons great in tight although can be a liability when teams run.
Neale been a lot better this year with two way running.
Bailey depends where the moon is. Zorko lost a yard.
Why we leaving a lot for J Berry to do.

Honestly a lot of our tackles are in packs and tackle on top
When players run they run through us.. Apart from J Berry time and again and Prior sticks them.
Newcombe just ran through us so too Nash, O Mera, Wingard and Jiath killed us of HB.

The future starts now!

But I was thinking about the review we will need to have at the end of this season if we have another poor finals series. Who are the guys that potentially would need to be replaced to improve the team? I guess the focus will be on players approaching the end of their careers and who replaces them. I think we need to take the opportunities that are presented to see what younger players can do. I would be very concerned if DevRobbo was considering leaving due to lack of opportunities.

And I forgot to say I wouldn’t mind seeing how Michael would go as a possible Longer term (2 years) Rich replacement.

I think dev has talent and like him but also think he is getting a bit of halo currently from not being in the senior team. He’s not a consistent mid yet and while he did a decent job when given a run of games last year, it wasn’t world beating stuff.

As a young player that isn’t a problem as he has plenty of time to develop, I’m just not sure he will be the panacea that people seem to think he could be.

I think dev has talent and like him but also think he is getting a bit of halo currently from not being in the senior team. He’s not a consistent mid yet and while he did a decent job when given a run of games last year, it wasn’t world beating stuff.

As a young player that isn’t a problem as he has plenty of time to develop, I’m just not sure he will be the panacea that people seem to think he could be.
I think your reasoning is really sound, I do, but aside from not making any changes and sticking with what we've got which I think isn't good enough compared to the likes of Dees, Blues, Saints, Cats and Tigers, what's the alternative? The last two may be a stretch but we've shown we regularly struggle against them.

I think your reasoning is really sound, I do, but aside from not making any changes and sticking with what we've got which I think isn't good enough compared to the likes of Dees, Blues, Saints, Cats and Tigers, what's the alternative? The last two may be a stretch but we've shown we regularly struggle against them.

Basically at this stage our best path to better midfield play is probably Rayner turning his 5-10 good midfield moments per game into 15-20 moments.

I have no issue at all with finding a spot for Dev or tom berry and would prefer that to replacing clug with robbo for the next few weeks. But they don’t have the ability to be genuine difference makers just yet imo.

Very interesting seeing Payne in the last 5 minutes, running up and down the wing, taking marks, field kicking, sprinting and drifting forward to kick a great goal.
Hmmmmmm!
what i really liked, was a relatively inexperienced fringe player taking a strong contested mark where he did not handball to Charlie who appeared to be calling for it, and sensing the urgency went back and kicked a very good goal to give us a slim chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically at this stage our best path to better midfield play is probably Rayner turning his 5-10 good midfield moments per game into 15-20 moments.

I have no issue at all with finding a spot for Dev or tom berry and would prefer that to replacing clug with robbo for the next few weeks. But they don’t have the ability to be genuine difference makers just yet imo.
It's always hard when you think you're in contention for a flag and you're relatively few games from finding out as to whether you stick with what you think you know you're going to get and build a team structure or blood a couple of players whom you know mightn't quite be up to it on the big stage yet.

My personal view is that we're not that hot that we can afford to not find out whether others mightn't add something.

The future starts now!

What constitutes a poor finals season? Not making the grand final, or not winning the premiership?

what i really liked, was a relatively inexperienced fringe player taking a strong contested mark where he did not handball to Charlie who appeared to be calling for it, and sensing the urgency went back and kicked a very good goal to give us a slim chance.
Where we fell down sometimes yesterday was being indirect to a half a contest , playing the selfless game, only to see the ball being swept down the other end for a goal when a reasoned ping to the goalsquare and more depth with the entry would have been at least an equal and generally a better option.

Our lack of urgency until 2 minutes to go also did my head in.

Think the problem with Lyons is when we get opened up defensively on transition, which happened on a number of occasions yesterday, he is usually the one on replay trailing from behind; Not sure that is a laziness issue, I just don't think he has the pace to keep up. Another reason why I'd like to see Dev get a run, but I'm not sure if his cards have been marked.
correct, and is also not a long kick of the ball.

Hard to prove they do without an opportunity to do so.

I thought it was very noticeable that when Dev had Ashcroft in the midfield with him he went up another level and was a difference maker - doing the defensive two way running while also getting the ball to the right players. When he had the right level of talent around him, he was able to shine.

He may not be able to replace Hugh's class, but I think he'll enable the likes of Rayner and Neale to have a bigger impact (which is ultimately what you'd want JL to do which he isn't at present).

What constitutes a poor finals season? Not making the grand final, or not winning the premiership?
depends if we are faced with injuries as per last years finals, or similar to what we are currently dealing with.

If we are at full strength come the finals and finish 2nd on the ladder, I think making the GF is a pass.
Not making a Prelim would definitely be a fail.
Getting knocked out in a Prelim is for others to decide if it is a poor finals series.

It does make you think. Ive been beyond confused how Dev isnt getting a game and I to have thought that perhaps the reasoning is that the club has been informed he is moving home. It also makes you wonder why we fought so hard for him to get that draft pick if we arent even playing him partulalry when it seems we are missing a player of his type.

There's no doubt West Coast will go in hard for a rebuild at years end and if Dev is interested in moving home we should get a fair price for him.

depends if we are faced with injuries as per last years finals, or similar to what we are currently dealing with.

If we are at full strength come the finals and finish 2nd on the ladder, I think making the GF is a pass.
Not making a Prelim would definitely be a fail.
Getting knocked out in a Prelim is for others to decide if it is a poor finals series.

Injuries are the biggest problem. Definately impacted us last finals without Dan McStay.

We saw how important he was. Can't understand how people are ok with the thought of him leaving. I'll be devastated as I think his contribution is critical to our forward line.

Think a few here are getting off the bus a few stops early ! Just played 3 away and one home for 3/4 wins , plus when had 3 of our spine out and we loose in Launceston where hawks towel up most sides and we loose by a kick and are mauled by the umpires

Cut them some slack ! Talk of rebuilds and getting rid of players after a game like that is ridiculous.

In: Dev, T Berry, Adams, McStay, Lester
Out: Hugh, Fullarton, Prior, Payne, Gardiner

Changes I’d like to see

Big O had a mare yesterday. Number of taps to no man's land or even worse, some taps straight to opposition. I was wishing he'd just punch the ball our way out of congestion. Didn't use that against Hawks for whatever reason.

Fort looked a lot better in the middle, trying to even win ground ball and send it our way.

Neale was good early but I was thinking in the fourth when he turned it on again, and really tried to drag us over the line. After being unsigned for some time, Lyons started shining then too.
I think Shiels shifted off Neale in the last quarterwhich is probably why he started getting a bit more ball. I had Neale in a 25+ possession multi so watched him intensely most of the day :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back