Preview Changes V Gold Coast TIO Stadium SATURDAY NIGHT June 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

It’ll be interesting if Worrell comes back in next week, if none of our defenders get injured

Either way, it’ll confirm whether he’s being partially managed, or whether this week was a pecking order decision

I suspect the latter, which I straight up don’t agree with
What would you have done this week ?

Out of interest

I think Worrell is going to comfortably be in our best 22 in 2024-onwards. Glad he has signed an extension.

2023 Backline Auto Selections: Murray, Butts, Smithers, Michalanney & Milera (plus capt Dawson sliding back from midfield)
Competing for spots: Doedee, Hinge, Worrell (without any injury openings, they're competing with Butts & Michalanney).

Worrell was good last week vs Brisbane, but it was clear he was cramping in the game. Hinge & Smithers are fully fit and now the team is flying to Darwin for a must-win match against GCS and so I think it was easy to avoid taking a big risk on Worrell cramping half way through the game in Darwin. It takes nothing away from Worrell at all. He probably needs a 3-4 game stretch to get his nose in front of one of Butts/Hinge/Doedee at the selection table.
Only need an injury to 1 backline player and Worrell gets a multi-game stretch to prove himself.
I also think Worrell is our ready-to-go right-size replacement for the loss of Doedee late this year. Feels like Doedee will go home.

Moving on from the Backline... to the midfield.
Who plays on Rowell & Anderson? Laird & Keays?
This match is going to be an absolute belter. Go Crows.
Keays on Rowell although Keays running might suit Anderson

Rowell just seems in best form currently so I think he goes to Rowell

GC midfield is a bit scary for us I reckon , going to be a huge test for us

we have a very fixed 25 that is set during the preseason. The focus is getting continuity into that group and hoping they all play well if we get near finals. It only changes due to injury or over a preseason.

Pre injury in pre season you don’t think Worrell was part of said 25 - or in the 22? Coaches indicate he was and was picked in the side to play Freo

Missed 8 or so weeks, week before he was picked in the AFL side Nicks had said they were managing his time back in the Sanfl
Probably came back earlier due to injuries - I think otherwise they would have given him another couple in the Sanfl.

Who would go out for him? It has been a pleasant surprise for all that it has become tougher to answer that question due to how well Max has gone and how much Hinge has improved

I would suggest fully fit Worrell comes in for Sholl with Hinge moving back to the wing. Probably after the bye and assuming no injuries in between

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Worrell is going to comfortably be in our best 22 in 2024-onwards. Glad he has signed an extension.

2023 Backline Auto Selections: Murray, Butts, Smithers, Michalanney & Milera (plus capt Dawson sliding back from midfield)
Competing for spots: Doedee, Hinge, Worrell (without any injury openings, they're competing with Butts & Michalanney).

Worrell was good last week vs Brisbane, but it was clear he was cramping in the game. Hinge & Smithers are fully fit and now the team is flying to Darwin for a must-win match against GCS and so I think it was easy to avoid taking a big risk on Worrell cramping half way through the game in Darwin. It takes nothing away from Worrell at all. He probably needs a 3-4 game stretch to get his nose in front of one of Butts/Hinge/Doedee at the selection table.
Only need an injury to 1 backline player and Worrell gets a multi-game stretch to prove himself.
I also think Worrell is our ready-to-go right-size replacement for the loss of Doedee late this year. Feels like Doedee will go home.

Moving on from the Backline... to the midfield.
Who plays on Rowell & Anderson? Laird & Keays?
This match is going to be an absolute belter. Go Crows.
It’s very odd to I think we are in top 4 mix if we win Tomoz as we likely go to break 8-5 with better second half of season draw

That shouldn’t factor into thinking re whether we win but I just can’t see it yet … I reckon GC win and we become a club in battle to make finals rather than guaranteed

I know it’s not a convenient truth this week

But Doedee’s classy opponent was subbed out for being ineffectual

I do agree Doedee has lost some of his intercept marking game this year , but been v solid defensively

I’m on record as saying if he leaves it won’t be the worst thing as I highly rate Worrell and like hinge and Obvs max so we we’ll stocked

Redman more a need for his rebound and as a smith replacement over next 18 months
Gunston has been poor all year tbh

Rest Sloane

Played very well in the 4th last week but we should be managing him somewhat, given his age

More mid minutes for Keays/Soligo/Jones
Yep could have rested sloane anyway even without Worrell

But that’s a lot of defenders unless we move hinge up ground so think that was the key thing to retain Worrell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s true. It takes away his one-wood though, which is his offensive game (IIRC he didn’t touch the ball that much in the Geelong game)
Playing hinge as sub this week and kept Worrell could have been an option

Hinge replaces Worrell if he struggles to get thru

But potential issue if we cop an early injury

Yep could have rested sloane anyway even without Worrell

But that’s a lot of defenders unless we move hinge up ground so think that was the key thing to retain Worrell
Yeah forgot to mention that too, Hinge back to the wing as part of it

I’m just unsure why Tex and Smith get a rest and Sloane doesn’t, given the latter is the one that most recently did their ACL

And whose place would he have taken had he not cramped?

Also are you saying the club lied in their statement and why would they do that?

And do I have more ability? No, I don’t think that, but I believe I have the ability to identify some errors. Some are so obvious the coach even admits to them ;)
:):). Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.;) As for whose place he should take when he's fit enough, at the moment I would sub Sholl for Hinge.
I don't know if the club lied or not, but I have not worked out yet why it should worry me or not what they say or the reasons they give. And if they are keeping somethings from the public, how do you know it's not for the benefit of the player himself. Unless I know the reason for telling a lie, assuming it is a lie, I'm not going to assume anything.
But you have the right to assume what ever you like.

:):). Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.;) As for whose place he should take when he's fit enough, at the moment I would sub Sholl for Hinge.
I don't know if the club lied or not, but I have not worked out yet why it should worry me or not what they say or the reasons they give. And if they are keeping somethings from the public, how do you know it's not for the benefit of the player himself. Unless I know the reason for telling a lie, assuming it is a lie, I'm not going to assume anything.
But you have the right to assume what ever you like.
You need to give an opinion to be able to be right or wrong ;) Preferably it’s before the event so we know it’s yours ….

Looks like Shane McAdam is going along for the ride, according to Burgess mid week both he and Hugh Bond needed to tick off a few more boxes and if so both would be fit for selection on the weekend so I take it they're being given another week?

Imagine the melts when Worrell can't get in the side because of Redman .....and then what about Nankervis ?

Worrell no doubt is a future best 22 player. But his lack of professionalism when he got to the club cost him early games and that set his development back a long way, he then has been injured regularly which has placed him in a competitive pack. There is no way the Crows can or should drop players in form for a 6 game player who is still finding their game. He will probably be a best 22 player late this year or next year anyway. He can only blame himself as to why he isnt in the side right now.

Worrell no doubt is a future best 22 player. But his lack of professionalism when he got to the club cost him early games and that set his development back a long way, he then has been injured regularly which has placed him in a competitive pack. There is no way the Crows can or should drop players in form for a 6 game player who is still finding their game. He will probably be a best 22 player late this year or next year anyway. He can only blame himself as to why he isnt in the side right now.
TBF Worrell's not the only kid to struggle with AFL professionalism .....at least he recognised it & changed .....many kids with talent, don't make it & get spat out of the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back