Preview Changes V Gold Coast TIO Stadium SATURDAY NIGHT June 3rd

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok take that out, the way to build an afl tank is not in the sanfl.
I can see reactions to my previous posts about Worrell have attracted multiple disagreement, which is fine.
Worrell played last Sunday as a replacement for Hinge (as far as I can tell) under concussion protocols. Hinge has recovered and is deemed by the Selectors to be a better choice than Worrell --- at this time/stage in Worrell's development --- so Hinge is IN, Worrell OUT.
I agree with the selection, and have said several times now that I think Worrell has a big future as a best-22 Crow. I am not anti-Worrell.
To have retained Worrell they would have had to drop either Doedee, or maybe Butts, or Sholl and move Hinge to that wing. They didn't.
Yes, I am mystified as to why there's so much bullish support for Worrell. We have a must-win game tomorrow in humid Darwin. Why would they pick Worrell, who can only play 3/4 of a game?
Makes no sense to me.

I won't post on Worrell again until after watch (again) the last 3 quarters of last Sunday's game/replay tonight.

Worrell was good last week vs Brisbane, but it was clear he was cramping in the game. Hinge & Smithers are fully fit and now the team is flying to Darwin for a must-win match against GCS and so I think it was easy to avoid taking a big risk on Worrell cramping half way through the game in Darwin. It takes nothing away from Worrell at all. He probably needs a 3-4 game stretch to get his nose in front of one of Butts/Hinge/Doedee at the selection table.
Only need an injury to 1 backline player and Worrell gets a multi-game stretch to prove himself.
I also think Worrell is our ready-to-go right-size replacement for the loss of Doedee late this year. Feels like Doedee will go home.
This! (all, above)
Very clear and sensible analysis.

If doedee does leave it will be interesting to see all those justifying worrells dropping.
Because I’m sure the club would know what he’s doing.
AFC supporters when Worrell is dropped: "oh well, he's not that good anyway"

Those same supporters when Doedee walks and we get * all compensation: "oh well, Worrell is better anyway".

It’s very odd to I think we are in top 4 mix if we win Tomoz as we likely go to break 8-5 with better second half of season draw

That shouldn’t factor into thinking re whether we win but I just can’t see it yet … I reckon GC win and we become a club in battle to make finals rather than guaranteed
I feel the same, but suspect it's a part of 2020-2022 PTSD misery/shock. :winkv1:

Last edited:

Those same supporters when Doedee walks and we get * all compensation: "oh well, Worrell is better anyway".
Talk about an over reaction...it's only days since Josh signed on for another 2 years, the 2nd time he's re-signed, that should indicate to most fair thinking people that he's happy with how things have progressed.

Worrell is very very good.

Worrell's match conditioning is inadequate currently. He can go and get that in the twos especially while we have an important game in trying conditions coming up. Don't tell me he can't get the conditioning in the ressies either, he plays a position that really allows him to push himself in work rate terms and being a regular sanfl watcher I've seen him do it plenty of times.

If doedee does leave it will be interesting to see all those justifying worrells dropping.
Because I’m sure the club would know what he’s doing.
If Doedee is a better player than Worrell, I think they should pick him regardless. Never really understood this attitude that is common on here that picking players who aren't going to play for your club long term is a mistake. Worrell isn't going to cease to exist playing in the SANFL, especially since he just re-signed.

If the view is that Worrell is a better selection than Doedee and should be picked over him, fair enough, but Doedee's contract shouldn't impact selection at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worrell's match conditioning is inadequate currently. He can go and get that in the twos especially while we have an important game in trying conditions coming up. Don't tell me he can't get the conditioning in the ressies either, he plays a position that really allows him to push himself in work rate terms and being a regular sanfl watcher I've seen him do it plenty of times.
The SANFL team is a waste of time. The standard at that level is crap, different size grounds, different rules, etc. He's not going to learn anything there. Ditto for Berry.

The SANFL team is a waste of time. The standard at that level is crap, different size grounds, different rules, etc. He's not going to learn anything there. Ditto for Berry.
I disagree, the SANFL against older players is a good grounding for youngsters still finding their feet in an AFL environment and certainly an elevation on U18's and Reserves. Some can handle AFL immediately but for the greater percentage it's a step up they need to be eased into when ready.

Who’s spot is Berry currently taking ?
Huh?

Berry is stuck playing second/third fiddle in a midfield that is entirely centred around Crouch. He's not going to improve being stuck back there.

Huh?

Berry is stuck playing second/third fiddle in a midfield that is entirely centred around Crouch. He's not going to improve being stuck back there.
Didn’t realise that was happening

Thought he was just out of form trying to get a kick

How many games has he played with crouch this year ? 2 or 3 ?

Didn’t realise that was happening

Thought he was just out of form trying to get a kick

How many games has he played with crouch this year ? 2 or 3 ?
Not sure, but Crouch completely stuffs our midfield structure. Hately, Dowling and Taylor get shuffled out because of his seniority and inflexibility.

Another one.

This is like a who's who.

He was omitted because of Hinge returning, not conditioning!

Not sure, but Crouch completely stuffs our midfield structure. Hately, Dowling and Taylor get shuffled out because of his seniority and inflexibility.
Didn’t realise this , the old one man band centre square structure

It’s a strange take

Schoenberg has been dominant at sanfl level all year but not nailed his afl opportunities , Schoey been our best mid at sanfl

Berry is plain out of form at all levels

Dowling is going beautifully , he compliments inside mids as he’s more outside and covers the ground as a link man and always has played this way

Didn’t realise this , the old one man band centre square structure

It’s a strange take

Schoenberg has been dominant at sanfl level all year but not nailed his afl opportunities , Schoey been our best mid at sanfl

Berry is plain out of form at all levels

Dowling is going beautifully , he compliments inside mids as he’s more outside and covers the ground as a link man and always has played this way
I haven’t watched much SANFL, do they list sanfl player stats anywhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back