Strategy Changes v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't find the ball enough, that is his biggest problem. You could cop the errors if he was getting it 15-20 times a game but averaging 12 disposals a week in 2018.
Equally, defensive side of his game looks average. And again, you could cop it if he was getting 20 touches and averaging 400 metres gained or something like that.

But he’s just not doing enough right at the moment.

Yeah I'll just say I disagree with dropping Hunt.

I can't see him not doing these defensive things that everyone is apparently seeing. He's never going to get 20 touches a game. Not really that type of player. He doesn't need to be. I think he's being played in the wrong position. We need him getting the ball 80m out from goal, bursting forward and kicking goals. He has a legit weapon that very few teams have. We just need to utilise it like we did last year at times.

If Goody loves someone clocking up the miles & having no impact on the contest why doesn't he get a treadmill in the coaches box & have ANB run his 17 kilometres there?
great post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I can't see him not doing these defensive things that everyone is apparently seeing. He's never going to get 20 touches a game. Not really that type of player. He doesn't need to be. I think he's being played in the wrong position. We need him getting the ball 80m out from goal, bursting forward and kicking goals. He has a legit weapon that very few teams have. We just need to utilise it like we did last year at times.

His stats are at a career low atm. They tried him up the ground for the first few games and he was crap, now he is just out of form when he is playing back. You can't blame the team for him playing poorly.

We tried him forward and he sucked.

I think we've got a deep enough list now that we can afford to give guys who are out of form a couple of weeks in the seconds to get their touch back, so I've got no problems with Hunt being dropped, but it is strange to see ANB still in the team by that logic. Especially when we have Garlett who has a pretty good track record against the Suns from memory.

Team looks really good on paper (or the screen in modern terms) really nice and balanced. Really like the new guys spargo and fritsch coming in and how they have been contributing. I don't mind getting games into weid atm our forward line is functioning better now especially that Tmac is back, allowing him to continues to improve. Goodwin obviously doesn't want to change too much from a winning team but will be interesting when Viney is back, providing there's no injuries. I don't think anb is too far off his best form and Goodwin is stubborn like he wss with melksham but I think this is his game or he's out. Same with hannan probably doesn't see a point in choping and changing with inconsistent forwards but I think he's got one more game.

I reckon Hunt is unfit and lazy. Starts the first quarters ok and is barely sighted late in games, doesn't get to enough contests and you see him walking around the field alot.

Goody doesn't seem to mind out of form players if they work hard but Hunt doesn't.

This kind of discipline could make or break him though and I'm all for it.

No point having pace in the side if you don't get anywhere near the footy. Watch how Isaac Smith plays and how he gut runs from defence to provide an easy kick.

What does Spargo's job security look like? Is he place holding someone's spot? Is someone hot on his heels?
Thanks guys, and good luck.

First year player so he will be rested or dropped soon which is a policy for all first year players.

Probably next in line for his spot is Garlett but he has been out of form and needs to show more in the VFL before he's selected. Might come back for indigenous round.

I reckon Hunt is unfit and lazy. Starts the first quarters ok and is barely sighted late in games, doesn't get to enough contests and you see him walking around the field alot.

Goody doesn't seem to mind out of form players if they work hard but Hunt doesn't.

This kind of discipline could make or break him though and I'm all for it.

No point having pace in the side if you don't get anywhere near the footy. Watch how Isaac Smith plays and how he gut runs from defence to provide an easy kick.

Hunt had to knock the door down to get picked by Roos, worked hard to play every game in a row until his form slump this year. Good wake up call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see how the midfield minutes get shared between Salem and Brayshaw now.

I think both benefited from playing in the guts recently. Apart from Melksham they are probably the two most capale players to lazer a kick inside 50, they can both tackle and their lack of pace is hidden when they are on the ball.

Hopefully they can find a good mix. Both have so much talent it woukd be great to have them both firing.

Slightly miffed about how certain players get multiple opportunities to correct bad form at AFL level, whilst others are dropped pretty quickly. Garlett and Hunt will be wondering why Weideman and ANB get such a good run in the side without contributing a whole lot. Melksham was given four weeks of 0 goals as a forward too before he found some touch.

ANB averages 16 disposals, 1.4 clearances, 0.4 goals and 3 marks a game. He went at 60% DE last week, after somehow surviving an eight disposal game against Essendon. I'm not sure what his role is? If he's a link man, his kicking has gone to s**t. If he's an inside mid, he'd want to win a clearance or two. If he's a forward, he has an abysmal goal kicking average. How does Hunt get dropped twice when ANB has retained his spot?

What is Hunt going to contribute or learn on a Casey mud patch this weekend? How does bringing in Salem, who has played inside mid this season, make sense when he's in for an outside runner?

Hunt is more than capable of finding the ball 20+ times. It’s a matter of choosing when to do it for him. Is clearly not putting the effort in. Our list is full of talented players who you worry don’t have the application to put it together.

Wow I clearly watch different games to you lot. Barely any of you were calling for Hunt to be dropped, then once he was, you're all acting as if it was always going to happen and he's horribly out of form.

There are different rules for different players it seems to me. Tulip is spot on with this:
Slightly miffed about how certain players get multiple opportunities to correct bad form at AFL level

Not everyone has to get 20+ possessions every game. No team in the league does that. I don't recall anyone watching the games and saying 'Hunt isn't tackling or chasing back.'

Seems very after the fact to me. Bouncing him from VFL to AFL isn't helping. Did he kill it at VFL level before being recalled?

Wow I clearly watch different games to you lot. Barely any of you were calling for Hunt to be dropped, then once he was, you're all acting as if it was always going to happen and he's horribly out of form.

There are different rules for different players it seems to me. Tulip is spot on with this:

Not everyone has to get 20+ possessions every game. No team in the league does that. I don't recall anyone watching the games and saying 'Hunt isn't tackling or chasing back.'

Seems very after the fact to me. Bouncing him from VFL to AFL isn't helping. Did he kill it at VFL level before being recalled?

A few of us mentioned he was poor in the game and in the firing line

Also question for you guys, once Viney comes and back and hypothetically there's only one midfield spot available between Salem and Brayshaw who would you guys use in there. For mine both seemingly play their best inside and don't really have the attributes to dominate elsewhere.

I’ve questioned his effort (mostly the defensive stuff) in every post I’ve made about him since late in 2017.

Anyway, WGAF? Like G2B says, he’s just one of many talented players on the list and currently/recently he’s been of limited value on game day. It’s hardly controversial that he’s been dropped. Why the angst over it?

Also question for you guys, once Viney comes and back and hypothetically there's only one midfield spot available between Salem and Brayshaw who would you guys use in there. For mine both seemingly play their best inside and don't really have the attributes to dominate elsewhere.
Brayshaw. Good problem to have though - Oliver, Viney, Jones, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Tyson all vying for midfield minutes. I actually reckon with Viney back we'll less of Jones at centre bounces and more of an outside roll from him. He offers the most outside of that group.

happy enough with that 1 change. hunts been running with a dead arm for weeks. needs to get it right and get some confidence back.
Salem goes to HBF/wing. played there against the bombers and played well and Gus went into the guts and played his best footy in a long time. both guys are better suited to those roles, instead of the other way around. its a win, win situation.

I know I probably don’t understand the nuances of the roles being played, but I’d have both of Salem and Bradshaw ahead of ANB regardless of roles, until ANB form turns around.

Watching from the ground, I was honestly really impressed with quite a few of Hunt's defensive efforts. He's clearly a but out of touch, but it says a lot that its only two posters who obviously can't go to games due to being O/S are comfortable calling him lazy. Not having a crack at you personally Gysberts2Bate Topkent, its just that when you watch him without the ball, which you guys don't have the opportunity to, he's clearly trying.

They're two of the better kicks on the list and both have played some good footy off HB. Salem seems like a great wing option, which makes his re-education as an inside midfielder puzzling from a list balance POV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back