Opinion Changes v GWS - Cox Ryan Sutty Grey in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some pretty introspective posts in here! The enjoyment or lack thereof depends totally on your expectations.

The amount of developing teams I've seen thumped consistently and that have put in zero effort has lowered my expectations of what to expect.

From my count we've put up s**t effort around 6ish games. For the most the kids have tried hard and the development has been fun to watch.

Disagree. If you are comparing it to a challenging team then developing teams are always going to be a disappointment for you. You don't judge them with the same metrics. Ross talks about this in all of his PCs. He doesn't care about the results, more about the application of the players.

Precisely my point. There isn't any. And I was talking about Ross' qualities as a leader of men.

You don't need to lecture me on perspective, I've been a member for 20+ years. I have been there for it all.

I am not sure what your problem is but join date on a forum means nothing and a profile picture means even less (zero in fact). You don't get respect from time you get it for the quality of your posts.

You don't have to like what I say, but you have no right to come in here and be condescending about my join date.
Correct weight.
Neither did I notice you telling me to 'get some perspective'.

Am I the only one who's just not excited anymore? I think I've lost interest now.

Nah, I've been feeling that way since we ignominiously exited the finals in 2015.

The derby really hurt. So much so that I had a strong feeling that the Freo/Hawthorn game would be unwatchable so I didn't go. I was right. Only Brisbane has lost more games at home over the last two years.

All of this. What is killing it for me is how boring and unwatchable we are at times. There are a few signs now and then that we are trying to move the ball quicker but the dreadful performance of our forward line is soul destroying.
The fact we continue to wheel out the likes of Suban, Spurr and Ballantyne is baffling also. We have played our most attractive and high scoring footy without them yet whenever they become available in they come.
The icing on the cake destroying my joy is watching Clarkson rejig his Hawks back into contention after sending 2 of his greats out the door last year. He always has the measure of Lyon/Longmire and the Sydney school of coaching. Lyon just has no answer & why he continues over and over the try the same thing expecting a different result is beyond my comprehension.

Having said all that I'm enjoying watching the kids coming on but with a sort of realisation that while we may play finals again in a couple of years we will never really threaten if we continue Lyon's trademark style.

I confess I'm at the point where I'd welcome a change of coach if it meant playing exciting footy again.

All of this. What is killing it for me is how boring and unwatchable we are at times. There are a few signs now and then that we are trying to move the ball quicker but the dreadful performance of our forward line is soul destroying.
The fact we continue to wheel out the likes of Suban, Spurr and Ballantyne is baffling also. We have played our most attractive and high scoring footy without them yet whenever they become available in they come.
The icing on the cake destroying my joy is watching Clarkson rejig his Hawks back into contention after sending 2 of his greats out the door last year. He always has the measure of Lyon/Longmire and the Sydney school of coaching. Lyon just has no answer & why he continues over and over the try the same thing expecting a different result is beyond my comprehension.

Having said all that I'm enjoying watching the kids coming on but with a sort of realisation that while we may play finals again in a couple of years we will never really threaten if we continue Lyon's trademark style.

I confess I'm at the point where I'd welcome a change of coach if it meant playing exciting footy again.

The worst thing is being at home games and being able to hear pins drop.

Nothing to disagree about, you completely missed the point.

Come back to me when you have a profile pic and have been here longer than 2 months.
What kind of jackass has a go at someones joining date as part of shooting down their argument. Like you are owed respect or something?

people vote with their feet. I think Simpson got some orders from above this week to play Partington and tap Priddis on the shoulder. With the new stadium coming both clubs are under pressure to sell memberships.
If it is perceived Lyon's style is turning people off to the point they aren't coming to games anymore he may come under pressure sooner than we think.

I used to absolutely hate it when I was forced to miss home games, now it doesn't worry me so much....which I hate.

I just wish we could get a better balanced game plan instead of always being defensive. Its not the excitement so much, its the fact that it no longer is a workable system. How many flags have gone to defensive game plans? 1 for Sydney. Anybody else? I can't think of one. Theres been a few for uncontested games plans, attacking game plans, balanced game plans. The writing is on the wall and change is needed.

What kind of jackass has a go at someones joining date as part of shooting down their argument. Like you are owed respect or something?
its typical BigFooty think. Somehow people are considered to only have ever watched or formed opinions about football from the start of their membership date. Its up there with the idea that one cannot express opinions if they seem to be contradicted by things your own club or its players have or have not done. For instance no Carlton supporter is ever allowed to express an opinion about tanking in any shape or form. Freo supporters aren't allowed to comment about boring game style for the same reason.

I used to absolutely hate it when I was forced to miss home games, now it doesn't worry me so much....which I hate.
I used to watch every second of every game. I didn't go to the Hawthorn game despite having a seat and I missed big periods of it on TV because I knew a week out from the game exactly what would happen and didn't want to watch us outcoached and outclassed again. Its so predictable its a farce.

Agreed re Clarkson. When you see that lineup of hawthorn currently, it's impressive the output they're getting. I think the test will be when roughead, Burgoyne, mcevoy, hodge, Stratton leave that side over end of this season and next.

I used to watch every second of every game. I didn't go to the Hawthorn game despite having a seat and I missed big periods of it on TV because I knew a week out from the game exactly what would happen and didn't want to watch us outcoached and outclassed again. Its so predictable its a farce.

Made the same prediction on that game. Watched it anyway. Watching us being outcoached the same way two weeks in a row just made me really angry. I can't watch the replay as I get angry all over again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed re Clarkson. When you see that lineup of hawthorn currently, it's impressive the output they're getting. I think the test will be when roughead, Burgoyne, mcevoy, hodge, Stratton leave that side over end of this season and next.
Yeah I agree. You can cope with losing your flankers but many of those players are very important to the Hawthorn structure. 3 of them are hall of famers in wait and McEvoy is actually good now.

I think they are following the Cats model. They have retained the younger portion of the premierships sides and are trying to fill the other spots with trade/FA and drafting where they have to. I think they need to get Jaeger on the park though because they aren't getting a Danger. I don't think it is going to work for the Cats, but Clarko is the best there is so if it is possible the ****er will lead them to more glory.

Made the same prediction on that game. Watched it anyway. Watching us being outcoached the same way two weeks in a row just made me really angry. I can't watch the replay as I get angry all over again
What was once Lyon's greatest strength, his insistence on adhering to predictable and repeatable structures and relying on effort has become his achilles heel. He has no flexibility in his approach and seems to believe that if he continues to do the same thing over and over that it will eventually work again. Meanwhile coaches from the Clarkson school run rings around us. Its maddening.

If someone is going through the motions then they are not trying 100%. I disagree. I think Ross tries very hard. I also think the team does there best, but they are young and still learning.

I am not sure what your problem is but join date on a forum means nothing and a profile picture means even less (zero in fact). You don't get respect from time you get it for the quality of your posts.

You don't have to like what I say, but you have no right to come in here and be condescending about my join date.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. Like you said start date means bugger all. I do how wonder if this is your first alias on this board? Not that it matters but I'm sure a few posters have multiple

Not sure I'd include the Bulldogs but I won't argue against it either.

That said, its a small number against the times defensive game plans got beaten
Dogs somehow outscored their regular season average in the finals. The opposite of like every other team ever.

They really played their best 4 games back to back to back to back. Incredible effort.

I've enjoyed reading your posts. Like you said start date means bugger all. I do how wonder if this is your first alias on this board? Not that it matters but I'm sure a few posters have multiple
Hand on heart first alias on here. Have read for many years though. I generally avoid regular posting on internet boards for the exact reasons we are seeing today.

Just couldn't help myself on here though because Freo/footy in general. It is a very lonely state to live in (QLD) if you are an AFL fan. At least Sydney (used to live) has rabid Swans fans to banter with.

Dogs somehow outscored their regular season average in the finals. The opposite of like every other team ever.

They really played their best 4 games back to back to back to back. Incredible effort.

Thats certainly true. It was an incredible effort.

Funny thing about the Doggies is they don't play a lock down dour style game, they try to attack. Most of the time they seem to break down across their half forward line, which accounts for their low scoring and their half back line is / was pretty strong. In spite of the quoted stats, I'm not sure I'd describe their game plan as defensive.

I guess other may see it it differently

Thats certainly true. It was an incredible effort.

Funny thing about the Doggies is they don't play a lock down dour style game, they try to attack. Most of the time they seem to break down across their half forward line, which accounts for their low scoring and their half back line is / was pretty strong. In spite of the quoted stats, I'm not sure I'd describe their game plan as defensive.

I guess other may see it it differently
I always thought they have the same problem as us, ie nobody to kick to. I think that is part of the reason why I rated T Boyds GF so highly because he turned into what a pick 1 KPF should be for the most important game of his life (and has since reverted). They get that version of Boyd on the park with Stringer and watch the goals increase by 2 per week.

I think Ross is aiming for something similar. Outnumber at the contest and fast break for D50 through the corridor. We obviously have nobody up forward of note yet and can't seem to get both the defensive half and forward half part of this plan to work in the same game too often.

Not sure I'd include the Bulldogs but I won't argue against it either.

That said, its a small number against the times defensive game plans got beaten

I think you have to defence and attack to win premierships. When was the last shoot out where both teams scored their seasons average in a grand final. It doesn't happen because the teams that make the finals are usually up the top for defence.

Maybe Geelong vs Collingwood in 2011. 119 def 81.( Losers Collingwood avge 113 pts for that season) and Hawthorn vs Geelong 2008 115 def 89 (Losers Geelong avge pts for was 119) - and in both of those the result seemed clear early in the last quarter.

I think more often its just been high scoring teams that have collapsed defensively on Grand Final day like Sydney in 2014 and West Coast in 2015.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back