Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I’d take Marvel as the venue. We’re playing well there this year and it’s a hell of a lot better than playing them in Sydney.
We're winning there. Playing well is a stretch.

Woody for Fantasia if fit is a no brainer. Not sure any of our other faults can be fixed without some seriously heavy weeks on the training track. Our skills are just deplorable at times.

I would like some clarity on why HH isn't playing. His SANFL form has commanded a spot. They must've written him off, ala Rocky. Otherwise it makes zero sense.

We're still too tall for my liking but Marshall's return to form makes it hard to drop him. Mind you 1 good game in the last half a dozen still leaves him vulnerable in future weeks. Could the unthinkable happen and Georgiadies goes out???

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Weve now qualified for finals, yet with our percentage just no where near the level it needs to be, we're going to have to win out to have a chance at top 2 and possibly top 4. We could end up playing round 23 with a win getting us 2nd and a loss 5th.

We have 4 to win now. 4 more games to set ourselves up. Starting this week.

Giants, Crows, Blues and Dogs.

3 we should start favs. The other is the type of side we really struggle with. A top 4 side.

Just got to tick off the next 3 and then we give ourselves the chance to start finals 1 week early against the Dogs.

We've not looked anywhere near our best all year but we've got an opportunity. Time to put in a big 4 weeks and make our run.

Last edited:

Buget

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port are a little unbalanced. Not sure if 2 rucks and 3 tall forwards are the go.

If Fantasia is fit, Fantasia for a tall.

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d be dropping DBJ, he needs to find some confidence. A run in the SANFL is the best option, have him beat up on some part timers to gain some confidence. Bergman can play his role.

If Fantasia is fit, he replaces Woodcock. Otherwise, Mayes could get another look in.

People will throw rocks at me for this, but I would bring in Lienert for Bergman. Love the Iceberg but he's not getting much of it and Lienert has a good blend of height and pace we missed. We looked slow in defence. Our match ups didn't work at all, other than Aliir. Mihocek was driving me crazy.

Lienert would also spare me the unbridled terror of Bonner in a one on one match up close to goal. Bonner was very good going forward today, his kicking was mint, but was pants when he had to defend.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
in: Fantasia, Jones
out: Woodcock, Ladhams

Thought Ladhams was ok tonight but 2 rucks won't be required against the Giants.

F. Butters. Dixon. Fantasia
HF. Rozzee. Marshall Georgiades
C. Amon. Wines. Duursma
HB. Houston Aliir Bergman
B. Burton McKenzie Jonas

1R. Lycett, Drew, Boak

Int. Bonner, Jones, DBJ

Who have I missed?

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fantasia and Jones in for Woodcock and Bergman.

If Lycett does end up suspended, go with Hayes. Don't mess with the current structure.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Quite a few unknowns as to what exactly is our best team, and at this stage of the season, I'm far from convinced that's a good thing.

Motlop, Fantasia and Gray are clear best 22. Lachie Jones has shown moments this year, and Hartlett still has a strong track record but appears on the outer. Clurey also seems on the outer but McKenzie had his worst game in a while tonight. Then there's the whole tall forward/ruck structure - we have switched it up quite a bit this year - 3 KPF 1 ruck, 3 KPF 2 ruck and 2 KPF 2 ruck, without setting on a structure to build chemistry. That is also in part due to who we've had available - but with cavalry returning, we need to settle, and settle quickly.

When our talls play like they did tonight, it's easy to keep them in the side. That being said, I think we are going to be too tall going against any of the top sides in finals which will be even more pronounced in a night game in early September when it will likely still be a touch dewy. We can get away with the 3 KPF 2 ruck system at Marvel because it is dry and we supplemented it with plenty of runners and a desire to get the ball into the F50 quickly on the run. That's not going to work as well in finals imo. I also think we need to make a decision on this relatively quickly because we can't still be figuring out our best structure with barely a month before finals. Personnel is another matter altogether, but the personnel needs to be interchangeable within the structure of the team at this stage of the season imo.

Assuming Fantasia is back next week, he comes straight in for Woodcock. GWS play tall at the back with Haynes, Taylor and Davis - so if we want to stretch them then it wouldn't be a bad idea to go 3 KPF and 2 rucks like we saw tonight. I think if we are going to play Bergman further back like we saw tonight, then Jones is the better player for that role too.

If Lycett gets suspended for that Grundy hit, I doubt we bring Hayes in unless they really are hellbent on structuring our team around 3 KPFs and 2 rucks heading into finals.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Fantasia and Hartlett for Lycett and Woodcock

Then probably Lycett for a tall the week after and Gray for Bergman so he can get another showdown medal

Granny Duurs is Lovely

All Australian
Jun 11, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We're winning there. Playing well is a stretch.

Woody for Fantasia if fit is a no brainer. Not sure any of our other faults can be fixed without some seriously heavy weeks on the training track. Our skills are just deplorable at times.

I would like some clarity on why HH isn't playing. His SANFL form has commanded a spot. They must've written him off, ala Rocky. Otherwise it makes zero sense.

We're still too tall for my liking but Marshall's return to form makes it hard to drop him. Mind you 1 good game in the last half a dozen still leaves him vulnerable in future weeks. Could the unthinkable happen and Georgiadies goes out???

It was stated not so long ago he was working his way back from an injury (groin I think?) and they were able to control his minutes in the SANFL. I assume that's the reason he hasn't returned yet, otherwise surely he deserves to be playing.

Mr PA

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Before the game on Fox Footy, Hinkley sounded pretty confident that Fantasia would be back next week. Pretty sure he also said that Robbie would be back the week after that, but I doubt he'd come back that soon.

If Fantasia is fit, he comes in for Woodcock.

Back