Preview Changes v GWS - Round 16, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Langdon tagging is a terrible idea. We use them to hold width, if he chased Whitfield through the middle it fu**s our structure.
Harmes or Viney be a good tag for him

Langdon would end up hanging out on our half forward line if he played on Whitfield instead of getting down the ground and starting our chains going forward.
Harmes can start half forward or in the centre square and then go to Whitfield on a wing in general play. I don't think any of the GWS inside mids warrant a tag to start the game and Harmes clearly plays best when he has a job to do.

This reminds me of when Joel Smith played up forward against Brissy in that practice game. Kicked a few, injured his groin but then we kept him out there, ended up kicking 4-5 goals and being 4-6 on the injury list for the entire year.
Yep, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I walked away from this team for a while. * Misson and the idiots who employed him.

Langdon would end up hanging out on our half forward line if he played on Whitfield instead of getting down the ground and starting our chains going forward.
Harmes can start half forward or in the centre square and then go to Whitfield on a wing in general play. I don't think any of the GWS inside mids warrant a tag to start the game and Harmes clearly plays best when he has a job to do.
You wouldn't tag Josh Kelly who has been in dominant form?

You can’t tag everyone, didn’t tag Bont V Bulldogs for example, Harmes sitting on Whitfield would work and the other mids need to be accountable which they have been to a large extent this year. Langdon in a stopping role is a bad idea he’s to important offensively.

You can’t tag everyone, didn’t tag Bont V Bulldogs for example, Harmes sitting on Whitfield would work and the other mids need to be accountable which they have been to a large extent this year. Langdon in a stopping role is a bad idea he’s to important offensively.
Agree. A time comes where you just back your own system. We only tagged Libba that game even thought the obvious would have been bont. Our Mids were able to minimise Bonts influence just through sheer one on one work

I have great confidence that whoever is on Whitfield will get the job done.

I don't want lingers to tag either, I don't see a need to play a defensive role on any gws player and if there were a player it would be Kelly who I rate extremely highly and he's in terrific form. The gws midfield is incredibly strong and not one player is key to it's recent success in the clearances, Taranto, Hopper, Kelly, Ward, Whitfield, Green, Perryman are all fantastic players but not one is head and shoulders above the rest, back the system in, hope our defense holds up against the mountain of gws inside 50s

Could do if the coaching staff wanted and you can always send someone to him during the course of the game if he's out of control. To start the game, I'd tag Whitfield. GWS often play very slow and boring football if he's not getting the ball and distributing it.

GWS are 6th last for Inside 50's and dead last for Marks Inside 50. Suggests it is more of a on-paper threat than a real one this year.
They seem to rely quite a bit on mids/medium players like Kelly, Green, Lloyd etc for their scores. We'll need to be accountable through the guts but I think can manage that.
However the games we've been exposed in were when the oppo move it quickly through the corridor. GWS love that so this could be a tricky matchup if we're sluggish to get going, again.

This reminds me of when Joel Smith played up forward against Brissy in that practice game. Kicked a few, injured his groin but then we kept him out there, ended up kicking 4-5 goals and being 4-6 on the injury list for the entire year.

I’m still convinced he got a contract purely to stop him suing the club.

Looks like it may be wet for this week's game, they might keep the smaller forward line for another week?
If it was dry, I'd be asking for BBB for sure though.

Mitch Brown got injured early on in the VFL game yesterday so i doubt that'll be happening.
I would drop Fritta... for mBrown. Have LJackson and Gawn play deeper when not rucking.

TMc at CHF and mBrown off a flank, both leading up to opposite Wings, and rolling thru the midfield then pushing back into half-forward and deeper. Our talls to rotate around the F70Mtrs drawing the defenders out.
OK, then change mBrown for Weide.
Weide to CHF, and move TMc to the flank, in place of Fritta.

Both Weide and TMc rolling up past the midfield, collecting marks and possessions on transition, and distributing as we move forward.
This allows BBrown to play the full forward role with smalls around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be surprised to see BBB come in. Of his 5 goals a few had been handballs over the top. I did not get a sense of the lead up marking BBB of old from the highlights on youtube.

I think Vanderberg coming in for Swallow, should he be ready to go, is the only selection I would like to see. Possibly Nathan Jones instead as he is getting talked up by the coach.

Looking at the fixture ahead we really can't afford to drop the games against bottom 8 sides. We by far have the toughest run home of all the sides in the 8..

If we keep beating top sides and losing to bottom sides who cares :hearteyes:
Yep. The way I see it is if we can win 5 out of 8 we should finish top 2 and I couldn’t give a s**t how they come. That said, I’ll still be here melting at approximately 4.30pm Saturday after we hold on by the skin of our teeth in a dour affair against GWS.

Brown 5 goals in the VFL? Ripper. He's in.

Don't give me this "but his goals were easy to kick!" stuff either, literally none of our forwards can kick easy goals right now. They're all missing absolute sitters.

Surely Brown can dive his way to a couple of gimmies.

Brown 5 goals in the VFL? Ripper. He's in.

Don't give me this "but his goals were easy to kick!" stuff either, literally none of our forwards can kick easy goals right now. They're all missing absolute sitters.

Surely Brown can dive his way to a couple of gimmies.
The day Boner Brown milks a free that wasn't there is the day where he becomes a Melbourne icon

The day Boner Brown milks a free that wasn't there is the day where he becomes a Melbourne icon
The sweetest thing ever would be to receive a free kick that wasn't there in a GF against Essendon to win the game. Been thinking about that a lot this week for some reason..

Yep. The way I see it is if we can win 5 out of 8 we should finish top 2 and I couldn’t give a sh*t how they come. That said, I’ll still be here melting at approximately 4.30pm Saturday after we hold on by the skin of our teeth in a dour affair against GWS.
Dour is definitely the word I’d use to describe watching us for a lot of this season, yet we’re 12-2, what a wild ride.

Hopefully our forward connection can kick into gear as the season goes on.

Has Laurie come back at VFL level yet? Could be a real livewire come the end of the year if he finds form.

Played on the weekend and without being poor, is clearly getting up to speed.

No concerns, but won’t be playing seniors this year I think.

Bowey is the one showing the most - but unfortunately for him a small running/distributing defender isn’t high on the senior sides needs just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back