Preview Changes v GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the years i have learned that umpiring can go both ways and for the past 5+ years have been am less inclined to 'blame' umpires for our losses and they certainly can't be responsible for the losses we've had our the past few seasons, however the skill levels of umpires seems proportional to where a team is on the ladder and we really appear to have copped the b graders last year and this year. Inconsistency in making calls is the biggest issue across the board and can be incredibly frustrating when it happens within a match and can change from quarter to quarter umpire to umpire, I don't know how to fix it other than bringing in arbitrary rules for example if the ball goes out of bounds it is always a free kick to the opposition and only a throw in where it can't be determined which side it came off, a player when tackled has no more than 5 seconds to dispose of a ball otherwise it is holding the ball, if the umpire cannot be 100% sure the player disposed of the ball correctly it's called incorrect disposal, another intervention could be 'the challenge' whereby captains have 5 challenges per match on free kicks called, which are then video reviewed and adjudicated by video umpire, this would at least make the umpires more accountable and probably more consistent.

Anyway I have digressed, what I really want to know (because I have no clue) is how do those on this forum who do have a clue rate this weeks umpires?
Nick Brown (13), John Howorth (17), Andre Gianfagna (27)
I used to train cricket umpires and have an interest in all sporting codes and their umpiring.

We have an unique sport with enormous difficulties in umpiring. Here are five problems
  1. The largest field
  2. poor umpire to player ratio
  3. No off side rule making play chaotic with 35 factorial possible interactions
  4. Rapid movement of the ball
  5. only one review obtainable
This means that umpiring mistakes have to be lived with if we want to allow continuous ball movement, rather then use a TV review all the time. I like watching my team behind the goals we are kicking to so I see things that the umpires cannot see. I often get home from the Ammos and have a look at the video they put up as I reckon we were hard done by and then I realise that my view was a poor one.

I did read a few years ago that the AFL umps get about 85% of their decisions correct while the Test Umpires are at 92%. This seems what I would expect.

To show the difference in the Laws of Cricket (not the rules ) which are copy righted by the MCC have a Law that forbids a bowler from running down the middle of the pitch. Now 99.9 % of all cricket is played on artificial surfaces or is played on one day and a new pitch is prepared for the next weekend so this Law (Laws are for all cricket) so why is this Law so important.

The umpires has to be able to see the batsman receiving the ball, otherwise his error rate will be at least 50%

Footy is a great game but I would never consider umpiring it because it's just too hard.

Both atu and lazzaro are out of the vfl side so means one is emergency 1 is sub
Please be Lazzaro....
Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons

I used to train cricket umpires and have an interest in all sporting codes and their umpiring.

We have an unique sport with enormous difficulties in umpiring. Here are five problems
  1. The largest field
  2. poor umpire to player ratio
  3. No off side rule making play chaotic with 35 factorial possible interactions
  4. Rapid movement of the ball
  5. only one review obtainable
This means that umpiring mistakes have to be lived with if we want to allow continuous ball movement, rather then use a TV review all the time. I like watching my team behind the goals we are kicking to so I see things that the umpires cannot see. I often get home from the Ammos and have a look at the video they put up as I reckon we were hard done by and then I realise that my view was a poor one.

I did read a few years ago that the AFL umps get about 85% of their decisions correct while the Test Umpires are at 92%. This seems what I would expect.

To show the difference in the Laws of Cricket (not the rules ) which are copy righted by the MCC have a Law that forbids a bowler from running down the middle of the pitch. Now 99.9 % of all cricket is played on artificial surfaces or is played on one day and a new pitch is prepared for the next weekend so this Law (Laws are for all cricket) so why is this Law so important.

The umpires has to be able to see the batsman receiving the ball, otherwise his error rate will be at least 50%

Footy is a great game but I would never consider umpiring it because it's just too hard.
Yeah I’m hearing you, I don’t begrudge umpires having to make a call but I would contend some are better than others especially (one would imagine) those with more experience. Do you have any idea how the 3 we’ve drawn for tomorrow’s game rate?

Bringing my * supporting friend tomorrow lol we cause so much trouble at work so we might start a fight.

Will convert her tho to the blue and white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can be as shithouse as our Captain and Vice Captain so long (but "standards" exist) as not a talented kid enjoying his life.

Noble has to go.

Yeah I’m hearing you, I don’t begrudge umpires having to make a call but I would contend some are better than others especially (one would imagine) those with more experience. Do you have any idea how the 3 we’ve drawn for tomorrow’s game rate?
No I don't but I am sure that their games are carefully scrutinised and there are stats being kept. I think they should be published. As it stands now everyone suspects that we have the worse ones. Supressing the data makes the lot of our umpires worse.

The other point is that there is probably very little difference once you get to the elite level. Most fans do not understand what a standard deviation means and the differences will be largely meaningless to anyone who understands measurement.

I just gave up worrying about the umpiring decisions years ago. Everyone should do the same so that they can reduce their intake of anti reflux tablets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back