Prediction Changes v Hawks - Rd 22, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope Martin gets back for finals. The thought of Timmy going one out against Gawn with support from Hannan (?) or Lewis Young (?) is nightmarish.

Given two of the outs were injuries, one was a faux-out (medi-sub), and two were "managed" (LOL) I find these selections pretty unmeltworthy. I hope that doesn't condemn us to a loss.

The only real surprise for me is that Richards has been dropped for the first time in about a season and a half. A long time anyway, during which he has had a pretty good ride from MC. I've nothing against the kid or his future prospects but that is probably a good thing and makes a statement.

Five new player means there will be some different chemistry and some fresh players keen to make an impact and stake their claim for a finals spot.

English as the sole ruck is very Bevo and no surprise whatsoever.

Given two of the outs were injuries, one was a faux-out (medi-sub), and two were "managed" (LOL) I find these selections pretty unmeltworthy. I hope that doesn't condemn us to a loss.

The only real surprise for me is that Richards has been dropped for the first time in about a season and a half. A long time anyway, during which he has had a pretty good ride from MC. I've nothing against the kid or his future prospects but that is probably a good thing and makes a statement.

Five new player means there will be some different chemistry and some fresh players keen to make an impact and stake their claim for a finals spot.

English as the sole ruck is very Bevo and no surprise whatsoever.
Small forward line is worthy of a melt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small forward line is worthy of a melt
Meh ... maybe, but that's very Bevo too. Wouldn't be surprised if they actually play like that. And excelled.

I guess there's also a chance one of Young or Cordy lines up down there.

Interesting. Assume Young plays forward.

Does Sweet even get another contract with us next year? Genuine question.

I love the look of this super speedy forward line. As long as we don't get outmarked too often in our F50 we should dominate the ground balls and cause a lot of forward half turnovers. We'll need to adjust our game plan for entering forward fifty but it's handy that Hannan and Weightman compete well in the air for their size. We can adopt the Richmond model of just kicking the ball into space and trusting our forwards to get there first. Its not the size of your forwards that matters per se; what matters most is how you use the size you have.

Bevo either doesn’t rate the ruck position, or doesn’t rate Sweet, or both.

English is basically a third ruck, a third midfielder, a third forward combo. He isn’t really a true ruck in the sense he doesn’t ruck at contests that well against quality opposition.

I think we can basically rule Sweet out for the year. It seems that Bev would prefer to go with English and a back up like Young. I guess he figures that Young gives him more flexibility around the ground.

I would have thought the Bruce injury would have saved JUH this week. I wonder whether this is really an omission and whether we will see JUH again this year. I will watching Hannan closely on the weekend.

He was poor. To be fair it’s obvious by now he’s not a forward.
McLean and Richards are handled the same when not injured. a couple of games in their preferred position for good results then switched forward, poor game, dropped, rinse/ repeat

i must say though, Richards needs to clean up his disposal forward of centre

Bevo either doesn’t rate the ruck position, or doesn’t rate Sweet, or both.

English is basically a third ruck, a third midfielder, a third forward combo. He isn’t really a true ruck in the sense he doesn’t ruck at contests that well against quality opposition.

I think we can basically rule Sweet out for the year. It seems that Bev would prefer to go with English and a back up like Young. I guess he figures that Young gives him more flexibility around the ground.

I would have thought the Bruce injury would have saved JUH this week. I wonder whether this is really an omission and whether we will see JUH again this year. I will watching Hannan closely on the weekend.
I think if Stef doesn’t get up, then Young will be the option Bevo goes with to replace Bruce. I think there’s a good chance Cordy will be replaced by Gardner next week as well.

Having Young in the team allows him to rotate through being the 3rd defender, backup ruck and 3rd tall forward to assist Naughton & JUH (assuming he is actually being managed). He can be deployed depending on the situation or team we face. I don’t necessarily agree but I think that’s what we’ll go with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back