Prediction Changes v Hawks - Rd 22, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo really doesn't rate having a pure ruck does he. Sweat best chance ever to get a game and is over looked. I'm not even sure Bevo will play Martin even if available. To be honest I don't think Martin preformed much better than Sweat has. Oh course stronger body, experience you would prefer Martin for finals yet I though both were reasonable in their games this year. Both performed o.k but helped with structure.

I think we are going small come finals. Going to be an interesting last few weeks. At least he keeps them all guessing that maybe they'll get a game.

He said it depends on Martin’s training block over the next couple weeks. But didn’t seem confident in picking him as he was worried about him getting injured again on the day.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bevo really doesn't rate having a pure ruck does he. Sweat best chance ever to get a game and is over looked. I'm not even sure Bevo will play Martin even if available. To be honest I don't think Martin preformed much better than Sweat has. Oh course stronger body, experience you would prefer Martin for finals yet I though both were reasonable in their games this year. Both performed o.k but helped with structure.

I think we are going small come finals. Going to be an interesting last few weeks. At least he keeps them all guessing that maybe they'll get a game.
Sweet is a good players name, but Sweat would be even better.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Sad but quite possibly true. I can see the Martin experiment ending badly if we do risk him cold in finals.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The biggest benefit of Martin was softening up their ruck so that when English rucked he wasn't getting killed. English as a second ruck / forward is such a weapon and Martin amplified that.

I'm not the first to say it, but with English as number 1 ruck we get robbed in two areas

Last edited:

Brian Perrin

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Singapore
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Given we're already pushing Richards out of defence, I agree we shouldn't be pushing out another rebounder to fit in a Cordy or Gardner for the sake of it. We trialled 3 KPD against the Cats but Wood wasn't playing at that stage. I think a Keath, Gardner, Wood, Williams, Dale, Daniel & Duryea is pretty settled and what we'll see that week one of the finals. If Lewy Young gets a spot on the bench as utility/back-up ruck we can always send him back during a game if we need it.

If you look at the best sides, there isn't a whole heap to be concerned about in terms of 3 tall forwards.

Cats - Ratugolea
Demons - Jackson
Port - Georgiades
Lions - No third tall
Swans - No third tall

Or Essendon - Peter Wright? We need Gardner back next week and Keath’s hammy to be golden

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 30, 2003
Kennel
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I know English isn’t amazing in the ruck and we all want a genuine number 1, but do you really think Young is that much better than him in the ruck?
What makes you say English is our most natural forward? I have as much faith in English kicking a goal as I do Naughton.

Young is not better but we receive a net benefit if English plays forward. Tim‘s leading patterns are more natural than Naughts and his kicking action and follow through is extremely good. Yes he misses more than he should but I have more confidence In him. He is our best option forward and significantly more dangerous than Schache, Young and co.

So we may lose a little more in the ruck (is debatable) around the ground hopefully if is as good if not better than Tim but Tim forward creates a dangerous aerial threat, takes pressure off Naughts, Tim will bring the ball to ground more than other forward options. We are a better team with him forward.

doggie dog

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Young is not better but we receive a net benefit if English plays forward. Tim‘s leading patterns are more natural than Naughts and his kicking action and follow through is extremely good. Yes he misses more than he should but I have more confidence In him. He is our best option forward and significantly more dangerous than Schache, Young and co.

So we may lose a little more in the ruck (is debatable) around the ground hopefully if is as good if not better than Tim but Tim forward creates a dangerous aerial threat, takes pressure off Naughts, Tim will bring the ball to ground more than other forward options. We are a better team with him forward.
Timmy can give us more in the forward structure than he can rucking.
Lewy in the ruck and backup KPD at least gives us options, and as long as he competes in the ruck our midfield depth should win out.
I don't like the thought of Stef being underdone for the finals.

Generation West

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really interesting team this week - extremely flexible.

Very quick and talented forward line and keen to see how Naughton goes as the solo key forward.
If it's not working with Naughton as the main marking target surrounded by smalls, then we can throw English, Young, Bont or Cordy forward.

Love seeing Weightman, VDM and JJ in the same forward line and hopefully Smith and Treloar get involved playing a bit higher.

He said it depends on Martin’s training block over the next couple weeks. But didn’t seem confident in picking him as he was worried about him getting injured again on the day.

Could be Bevo bluffing again, such as concern Treloar may not play again this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Worpel has been very good for you this year and extremely good recently?
Yep, Worps form has been great, kicked a goal in every game last basically month and some getting a fair amount of the footy at the same time and showing some good skills where he normally hasn't. Newcombe comes in which probably means some more time in the middle for Scrimshaw maybe.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep, Worps form has been great, kicked a goal in every game last basically month and some getting a fair amount of the footy at the same time and showing some good skills where he normally hasn't. Newcombe comes in which probably means some more time in the middle for Scrimshaw maybe.
O’Meara also out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back