Preview Changes v lions Saturday 2:35pm @Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Crocker - what's the go with him? Don't recall him being injured, but you'd think if he isn't close to getting a game after being on the list for couple of years, despite half the list being unavailable, he isn't getting a new contract? Heard some good things about him last year...

With a long injury list and several players facing tests to prove their fitness, another interesting week at the selection table looms.

Rhyce Shaw has hinted at more changes, with North keen to give its youngsters a chance to prove themselves at the highest level.

I suppose you're an advocate for that awesome 6-12 spot on the ladder and continued irrelevance like we've had for the last 20 odd years then? I'll pass on that thanks.
The AFL (and most major sports with a draft system) have set it up so that you need to go to the bottom before you can go to the top. That is reality, even if you don't want to admit it.
Our stubbornness and pride as a footy club, coupled with the legitimate fear that if we bottomed out the AFL would seek to forcibly move us out of Melbourne has meant that we haven't been in a position to take advantage of the rules the AFL put in place in the same way that many other clubs have.
There's no 100% guarantee that if we bottom out that we'll automatically win some flags, we still need to draft well and develop talent. There is however a pretty high level of certainty that the middle tier of the ladder is a wasteland of irrelevance. We should have enough evidence over the last 20 years to affirm this.

What I am for is to give it all we have each week and then see where that takes us... yes it's frustrating to finish mid table each year but there are other legit ways we can improve year on year without cheating.... if the team enters a game without wanting to win then don't bother turning up at all

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What I am for is to give it all we have each week and then see where that takes us... yes it's frustrating to finish mid table each year but there are other legit ways we can improve year on year without cheating.... if the team enters a game without wanting to win then don't bother turning up at all

I think you misunderstand what tanking is. Nobody is suggesting that the players don't try to win when on the ground.

What I'm advocating is playing kids in a position where if we were challenging/playing finals that we would play an experienced player - Atley, Jmac, Marley, Pittard etc. We get as many kids to the 50 game mark, as quickly as possible.

It means being pretty brutal with players coming to the end of their careers and list cloggers who we either know a lot about (Wood) or who have talent, but have shown consistently now that they can't get on the park (Garner) They simply need to go. It's harsh for someone like Garner, who I think is almost as talented as anyone on our list, but he simply can't get on the park. He's had a two week hammy for the last 5 years. The one time he strings a few games together, he gets into a fight in a pub. Continual soft tissue injuries are often a symptom of a lack of professionalism/fitness/attention to recovery. Unfortunately I think Garner is in this category.

It means trading established players for FIRST ROUND draft picks if and when we are able. You can't trade them all as you still need some experience alongside youth, but if we're fair dinkum about challenging in 3-5 years, we should probably look at Higgins, Goldy as options to trade- they would be the only ones I'd be ok with trading that would command a first round pick in return. We won't trade JZ as he's the captain and regardless we'd probably only get a second round pick for him, so he stays.

In my opinion, there's only two senior players that are untouchable and they are Cunners and Taz. I'd be keeping BBB as well. Kicking goals is hard to do and he's the only one who's been able to do that consistently for us. If we decided to go all in on the Larkey/Zurhaar combination, then I'd understand trading Brown too - but only for a first round pick.

We have some up and coming youngsters. Let's surround them with some early picks from the draft and get excited about developing a team that will challenge in a few years time.

With a long injury list and several players facing tests to prove their fitness, another interesting week at the selection table looms.

Rhyce Shaw has hinted at more changes, with North keen to give its youngsters a chance to prove themselves at the highest level.
EVW a smokey to backfill for McMillan

I think you misunderstand what tanking is. Nobody is suggesting that the players don't try to win when on the ground.

What I'm advocating is playing kids in a position where if we were challenging/playing finals that we would play an experienced player - Atley, Jmac, Marley, Pittard etc. We get as many kids to the 50 game mark, as quickly as possible.

It means being pretty brutal with players coming to the end of their careers and list cloggers who we either know a lot about (Wood) or who have talent, but have shown consistently now that they can't get on the park (Garner) They simply need to go. It's harsh for someone like Garner, who I think is almost as talented as anyone on our list, but he simply can't get on the park. He's had a two week hammy for the last 5 years. The one time he strings a few games together, he gets into a fight in a pub. Continual soft tissue injuries are often a symptom of a lack of professionalism/fitness/attention to recovery. Unfortunately I think Garner is in this category.

It means trading established players for FIRST ROUND draft picks if and when we are able. You can't trade them all as you still need some experience alongside youth, but if we're fair dinkum about challenging in 3-5 years, we should probably look at Higgins, Goldy as options to trade- they would be the only ones I'd be ok with trading that would command a first round pick in return. We won't trade JZ as he's the captain and regardless we'd probably only get a second round pick for him, so he stays.

In my opinion, there's only two senior players that are untouchable and they are Cunners and Taz. I'd be keeping BBB as well. Kicking goals is hard to do and he's the only one who's been able to do that consistently for us. If we decided to go all in on the Larkey/Zurhaar combination, then I'd understand trading Brown too - but only for a first round pick.

We have some up and coming youngsters. Let's surround them with some early picks from the draft and get excited about developing a team that will challenge in a few years time.

I know exactly what is meant by tanking so maybe tanking isn't the word you should use.... dictionary definition is "to make no effort to win" ... "to lose intentionally"

I say play them. They will get beaten but they will learn. It is less than two years since Brisbane had back to back 5 win 17 loss seasons. Fagan was happier to lose playing the gameplan and players he wanted and sometimes lose big, rather than minimising the damage. Now they are genuine contenders.
We have as many as 6 outs as JMac leaves the bubble for the birth of his child on top of the five injuries.
Fagan and Brisbane set the standard for a rebuild. Fagan is a teaching coach with a game plan that the players learnt and are keen to implement. Brisbane traded astutely trading out players who didn't fit the plan and traded draft picks and players to give themselves the best chance to get the players they needed to implement the plan. Rather than finishing mid table as usual, North, due to a number of factors, will finish in a disappointing ladder position. Now is the time to make the tough decisions and draft wisely. It can be done, it will take at least 2 years providing the club makes the right choices. But, it must be done

You must be spewing you couldn't acknowledge his good game on Wednesday on his thread.
He couldn't give Jed a vote after the Adelaide game despite him coming second in the coaches votes. He's as stubborn as Tef.

Anyway, the Brisbane Divers match means nought except for development.

I usually post a couple of times on oppo boards, but I will give these football simpletons a miss.

In leaving, I hope Oscar McInerney snaps his achilles when he inevitably dives forward this week, and that Dayne (pinchy, spitty) Zorko gets ruled out with distemper.

Perez a crazy outside chance?

I think we will see him before the end of the year.

Perez a crazy outside chance?

I think we will see him before the end of the year.
Wouldn’t be crazy he’s had near a month of full training now should be ready from a conditioning stand point

I agree we should see Perez at some point in the last 6 games
Crocker too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t be crazy he’s had near a month of full training now should be ready from a conditioning stand point

I agree we should see Perez at some point in the last 6 games
Crocker too

Lol, no he wont be.

Have a listen to some of the players. Clubs are barely training at the minute.

It's essentially Game --> Recovery --> Recovery/Oppo Analysis meetings --> Captains Run ---> Game. Clubs aren't doing any training preparing for games, structures and oppo tactics.

Not to mention Perez hasn't played a competitive match in almost 2 years.

If Perez plays, I fully expect him to be gassed within 45 minutes.

That's also not to say I don't think he will play either.....

Lol, no he wont be.

Have a listen to some of the players. Clubs are barely training at the minute.

It's essentially Game --> Recovery --> Recovery/Oppo Analysis meetings --> Captains Run ---> Game. Clubs aren't doing any training preparing for games, structures and oppo tactics.

Not to mention Perez hasn't played a competitive match in almost 2 years.

If Perez plays, I fully expect him to be gassed within 45 minutes.

That's also not to say I don't think he will play either.....

Surely the non-playing squad members are doing extra sessions and Perez would have been on a program to get his fitness levels up. Still expect him to be gassed by 10 to 15 minutes per quarter but still really want to see him play.

Surely the non-playing squad members are doing extra sessions and Perez would have been on a program to get his fitness levels up. Still expect him to be gassed by 10 to 15 minutes per quarter but still really want to see him play.

He will be 'fit'.

Not match hardened fit. Not even close.

Remembering the kid has missed the whole pre-season, stacked on a heap of muscle in the injury lay off and hasn't played a competitive match since the end of 2018.

He will blow like a steam train inside of the 1st qtr.

I'd still like to see what he's got though, as long as there's no risk of injury.

He will be 'fit'.

Not match hardened fit. Not even close.

Remembering the kid has missed the whole pre-season, stacked on a heap of muscle in the injury lay off and hasn't played a competitive match since the end of 2018.

He will blow like a steam train inside of the 1st qtr.

I'd still like to see what he's got though, as long as there's no risk of injury.
well he obviously wont be match hardened and can't as there are no prac matches atm due to our injuries

all he can do is be fit physically and training load wise which he would be after a month of being back now

now we just need to see him play, and he will take a few games at afl to get match hardened so be it

I can only image the absolute outrage here if we selected Perez and he got injured - which would be very likely. Flynn and Charlie are best left for next year. I’d rather see Jack and Cunners risked again than Perez or Comben.

Jesus, one of the few times we've dipped into the bottom 3 in 20 years and it's already "lowly North"

Carlton, Melbourne and GC have been rooted there for the best part of a decade and they have always been prefaced with "young and exciting Carlton".
Followed by relocation talk shortly.
When survivals the main prioty there is no bottoming out for private school boys.Best year to do it I suppose

flushing all your senior players and playing kids is exactly the strategy that put melbourne in the toilet and prevented them from ever recovering from their low period. if you've got a bunch of guys who come up only knowing how to lose, that's what they're going to keep doing. it's 1000 times better for jy simpkin, bailey scott, ldu etc to have goldy palming it down to them than some inexperienced ruckman, for example.

Ah i'm glad you have managed to pinpoint our poor skills and decision making down to single moments of Dumont and Atley then...
Correct. It's systematic.
Can you please let us know how two single events can be the cause of our system?

Maybe you meant systemic...but surely not as you are Mr Intelligent.

And don’t pretend I’m on ignore, as I’ve shown several times you’re too vain to do that.

Back onto Perez.... I was hopeful too given the articles last week but not too confident this week. I know doesn't mean too much but not even mentioned in the weekly possible ins..... hosie is though and deserves another go as does walker.... others think all depends on those what 5 that are tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back