Unofficial Preview Changes v Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Some serious confirmation bias going on regarding Sam Gray after last week's game, for a few people.

He's a much better player than some seem to think.

Some serious confirmation bias going on regarding Sam Gray after last week's game, for a few people.

He's a much better player than some seem to think.

My question would be - who else in the Magpies or the Power side for that matter is going to work anywhere near as hard as Sam to provide the link up option up and down the wing?

Maybe Brad Ebert?

Absolutely no-one in the Magpies thats for sure.

The reason that he is still in the side is because this is the exact role that Ken wants him to play and he is doing is as well as anyone going around.

I absolutely agree that he needs to start converting a few more of his chances at goal - but at least he is working his arse off to get into positions to have shots!

Fine with Logan coming in and long term think he's going to be our best KPD. Howard has shown he's more of a forward and I hope he stays there.

Still pissed that S. Gray is in the side over Eddy but oh well.

I'm okay with keeping Eddy out if Westhoff is spending most of the time forward.

I'm okay with keeping Eddy out if Westhoff is spending most of the time forward.

People talk about keeping Sammy for his link up role but I don't see why we can't try the Hoff there with Eddy as a proper foil for Dixon.

Don't think Sam Gray wasn't even that bad last week.

He honestly wasn't and I even thought he was one of our better players but throughout the season we've had issues with inaccuracy in front of goal and he's been one of the biggest culprits. You can't tell me that Eddy, Billy, Gus or Howard wouldn't nail the shots he misses on a regular basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must be convinced that Waite is returning this week. Either way, it's great to see Austin promoted. Hombsch hasn't been firing on all cylinders for a long time now, hopefully his body recovers enough come finals. It's the right decision.

Considering the clubs been spruiking some real cheap tickets this week, I'd expect a few extras, but I'd say 33k would be the max we'd get.
They aren't really cheap, certainly not in Platinum areas.

As others have said, its not the exact change we wanted (e.g. Hombsch out for Howard/Frampton/Eddy, move Trengove down back) but its still a good change and refreshing in terms of Ken's selection predictability. Baby steps.

Wait! what? Why?
Wait ... why not, I rate him
What ... Hombsch has been struggling, their tall fwds, contract related (sniffs from elsewhere?), sending a msg?
Why ... height, mobility, good kick and loves 1% er's

I hope he doesn't join the 1 chance club (Bonner Johnston Snelling). In b4 he gets canned for not dominating from the get go.
I know he played plenty last yr but that was last yr.

I'm :).

Well he's been in the BigFooty gunsights for weeks, had his worse game of the year last week, and nada.
They've given up, he could shag Hinkley's dog and still be selected.

If Austin can come on like Clurey has, we're in for an exciting time.

The only reason Westhoff has had to drop back into defence so much is because he's been sub-consciously worried about our backline - so he's always reluctant to push forward like he is supposed to and get involved. He's thinking 's**t, our backs are too small - better not stray too far from them in case we turn the ball over cause I'll be needed to help out.'

This, however, is not actually true. Our backline would do just fine without Westhoff filling a hole on the wing - the only time he is needed back is when we are under siege...and all the forwards work into the defensive half at that point anyway. So there's nothing actually lost by him pushing forward more often.

This is what Wines was talking about when he said that the players have now come to the point where they trust each other to do their role, and why Westhoff could push forward more during the second half against the Eagles. He finally found the faith needed in his teammates to say 'They've got this' and be more aggressive with his play.

Now, the one player who is letting down the team in the backline is Hombsch. His hips can't be that bad that he can't spoil or intercept the ball. 5.82 one percenters a game is average for someone who is supposed to be an elite defender. He was averaging over 10 a game last year. And if you think that's because of team defence - Jonas averages 8.2 one percenters a game.

Sure, the hips mean he can't run or attack as well as he should, but he can defend. He's just down on form.

So Jack gets dropped and Austin comes in. Now, if Austin can emulate Clurey, and start to really work as a defender, we don't lose anything from an out of form Hombsch, because Austin should be at least as good as Hombsch is at the moment PLUS add the attacking flair and height in defence that allows Westhoff to drift forward more and get involved in the play.

If Hombsch was in form, it would be no contest - Austin would still be in the SANFL. Because our back three would be that much more solid as a unit and Hoff would feel more confident.

But here's the real kicker - if Austin can take his chance and run with it...or if Hombsch can rediscover his form...not only will be the most balanced side in the competition, we'll win the flag in an absolute canter. Adding a Westhoff with the ability to do whatever the * he wants - taking intercept marks in defence, running through the wing, taking pack marks up forward - would be like the icing on a three tiered premiership cake.

I've been waiting all year for my buddy to play as well. Ah well, maybe next year (sigh)
Jarrod is a masterpiece in waiting. Chad Cornes "I think we've found one here" (dunno when but def said it).
Down the road Houston Bonner Austin Lienert, sounds good to me. Lienert 193cm 89kgs ... hmmm noice, all elite kicks too.

Patience grasshopper.

Didn't see that one coming but if Austin is to get another crack at it someone has to make room.

Hombsch is too good a player to remain on the sidelines for too long. At 195cm Austin adds some genuine height to our defence. With Trengove and Westhoff both playing further up the field Ken obviously sees the need for a 195cm player down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back