Unofficial Preview Changes v Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree with this.

Sam Gray seems to get lumped in with the Impey/Neade/Young triumvirate of low performance small forwards, but his role is a lot higher than theirs and he finds a lot more of the ball in that linkman role. He has much more of an impact

Ultimately you'd have to think there is a more skillful player and more physically capable player who could take his place, but I don't see it as an absolute disaster if he manages to keep them at bay for this season at least.

Agree s gray is the better of that group you named, but that is because that group ie Neade impey young have an been absolutely abysmal this year. Neade should never get a game at afl level ever again. Impey has been missing the whole god damn season. Players have been dropped for having three times the amount of disposals as impey has had and impey burns like 80% of his touches. Impey should spend the entire season at sanfl level until he genuinely fixes what is wrong. Hinkleys methodology of giving carte Blanche for short people to have a decade to find form and learn at afl level while bigger players get turfed for moderately decent to good games immediately is frustrating and backwards I can't get over how stupid it is.

S gray being the best of that lot is like saying trump is a good guy when comparing him to hitler.

Ok I'm being a bit dramatic there. Gray is doing ok this year. But that is it, borderline ok at best and some weeks outright passenger. We need to replace him in the side by recruiting better options asap. I can't wait for Amon to be fit, although impey should make way for him.

Some serious confirmation bias going on regarding Sam Gray after last week's game, for a few people.

He's a much better player than some seem to think.

I've been as critical as the next bloke regarding Sam Gray - but what he does do is consistently get into the right positions. If he can finish off his work with better disposal/goal kicking, no one will be saying anything.

Hopefully it all clicks for him soon.

There were a few Joe the Gooses among those though. Nothing much a defender can do when his opponent is alone in space after coming back from getting some produce from the pie man at the northern gate and we've turned the ball over.

I remember having doubts about a very young Martin Leslie when he had 3 or 4 goals kicked on him in a magoo's game in the early 80's. :rolleyes:
I definitely got that one wrong. ;)

Hombsch obviously dropped to the Maggies because we need an experienced AFL level defender to take on the great man

8a03eaf0181c1bf4556a54d7a681e030
he is beautiful

hahahahahahaha as if he actually did that. what a peanut head.

on a completely different note. Logan has had some average moments for the magpies this year. but clurey had the same sort of question marks on him before he broke into the first team. i think Logan is a player that will improve & show his best attributes playing consistent AFL footy.

Agree s gray is the better of that group you named, but that is because that group ie Neade impey young have an been absolutely abysmal this year. Neade should never get a game at afl level ever again. Impey has been missing the whole god damn season. Players have been dropped for having three times the amount of disposals as impey has had and impey burns like 80% of his touches. Impey should spend the entire season at sanfl level until he genuinely fixes what is wrong. Hinkleys methodology of giving carte Blanche for short people to have a decade to find form and learn at afl level while bigger players get turfed for moderately decent to good games immediately is frustrating and backwards I can't get over how stupid it is.

S gray being the best of that lot is like saying trump is a good guy when comparing him to hitler.

Ok I'm being a bit dramatic there. Gray is doing ok this year. But that is it, borderline ok at best and some weeks outright passenger. We need to replace him in the side by recruiting better options asap. I can't wait for Amon to be fit, although impey should make way for him.
Aaron Young scored over 40 goals last year. Sam Gray is currently on 13. Young is in some average form but can definitely play as a better forward than Gray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Houston didn't exactly tear it up last yr either. Sometimes ya just can't tell.
The difference is Houston was an ok forward flanker at SANFL level and is now a terrific AFL back pocketer. Change in position.

Austin last season was a good SANFL/AFL KPD and this season has been a quite meh SANFL KPD.

Hopefully we see some massive improvement at AFL level from Austin like White showed vs Collingwood.

Speaking of goalkicking, a bit of trivia in that amongst current AFL players, Jasper Pittard is the top of the leaderboard for current consecutive behinds without a goal (9). The record is the well celebrated 19 in a row by Lewis Jetta for the Swans (all before he kicked his first goal!).

Even funnier is that for the AFL all time list of consecutive goals kicked, third behind Breust (29 in a row) and Tory Dickson is ....... drum roll. ....

John Butcher with 20 in a row!

Bring back butch

#backtothefuture

Good to see Atley stay in, Austin happy to see. Kens shitting on Hombsch was hypocritical. How about your big name show ponies kennie boy?

I've been as critical as the next bloke regarding Sam Gray - but what he does do is consistently get into the right positions. If he can finish off his work with better disposal/goal kicking, no one will be saying anything.

Hopefully it all clicks for him soon.

His right positions is 30 metres out from goal as he has frequently thought he could make the journey from 45 and landed it into an unmarked defender in the square. It's been a few weeks since he has done that, so hopefully it's been pointed out to him.

PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has put every player on notice their spot is in jeopardy if they are off their best.

Key defender Jack Hombsch is the latest to pay the price for below-par performances, losing his place in the side for Saturday's clash with North Melbourne at Adelaide Oval.

With a full list to choose from apart from Matthew Broadbent (ankle), Hinkley said competition for spots was at a premium.

"Every player in our side has to have that attitude and that is, if you don't play well, you put yourself at risk and we've shown this year we're not going to mess around with that," Hinkley said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-07-14/hinkley-puts-players-on-notice

**PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has put every player on notice their spot is in jeopardy if they are off their best.

Key defender Jack Hombsch is the latest to pay the price for below-par performances, losing his place in the side for Saturday's clash with North Melbourne at Adelaide Oval.

With a full list to choose from apart from Matthew Broadbent (ankle), Hinkley said competition for spots was at a premium.

"Every player in our side has to have that attitude and that is, if you don't play well, you put yourself at risk and we've shown this year we're not going to mess around with that," Hinkley said.

**Disclaimer - Unless your name is Sam Gray

PORT Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has put every player on notice their spot is in jeopardy if they are off their best.

I've heard it before.

But what we should be doing is managing players and not driving them into the ground. We had our bye in Rd 9 so why not freshen up a few players before the finals. Rest 1 or 2 a week to have a replacement bye. Its basically what Chris Scott did in 2011 when he made sure players were rested and nobody at Geelong in 2011 played all 25 games.

I know it's down the other end, but surely it's time to blood either Eddy or Howard in preparation for "the finals"
Frampton and or Marshall. Heaven forbid a bad injury to a key player/s and your right. REH mentions the bye way back in Rd9
as reason enough to spell players. Should SPP have been be rested this week to give his shoulder time to heal?

I've heard it before.

But what we should be doing is managing players and not driving them into the ground. We had our bye in Rd 9 so why not freshen up a few players before the finals. Rest 1 or 2 a week to have a replacement bye. Its basically what Chris Scott did in 2011 when he made sure players were rested and nobody at Geelong in 2011 played all 25 games.

Make sure we make finals first. We also have a bye before the start of finals to refresh, which Scott didn't have in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back