Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sense with Lohmann is that he needs some consistent seniors for his development. I think he has a very high ceiling.

I hope he gets a run of games.
All the fringe players need a run of games, Dev 2 games back from a busted wrist needs more, Answerth until McKenna returns at least, Lohmann performing in the ressies needs the challenge in firsts and games to prove it. Gotta stick, n give them time to settle into a role.

I think a lot of the players just need games to work into the season. Chopping and changing, out one week back the next, playing one position one game another the next, that can't create cohesion, it can't make it easy to implement strategies. Form slump, not right in the head, not fit enough, whatever it is mass changes won't fix it.

Fort out, just need 1 ruck v North. I like the idea of giving Morris a run, for reasons I've previously stated. But Lohmann in 22 to get more game time and Morris as sub to get a taste would work for me. V North would be a good opportunity to blood Morris, test his chops.

I’d like to see Reville in. Not to say these guys will never break in but we have seen Prior, Sharp and Tunstill at senior level and they haven’t yet been able to impact consistently. We have lost Kiddy, Ashcroft is out for a while yet and McKenna is currently injured. Would be nice to add a mature aged player who is noticeably fitter and stronger with a pre season as a full time athlete under his belt in Reville get a go to see if he can make an immediate impact.

We need some fresh talent into the 22 and Reville has started well in the VFL. He has also demonstrated traits we are lacking in the seniors so far this season including hard running, strong tackling and good skills. Give him a shot.

Should have asked where the chat is coming from.

Bucking Beads might just be passing on what he's heard from where ever, and not have the answers for the questions you are asking.

Won't be the first time the coaches have tried something that have left the supporter base scratching their heads, i.e. Rayner playing half back or Dizzy playing third tall.
Many a player has been thrown forward or back and that reignited their game.

Would love to see three or four changes specifically of the never dropped brigade. No more than that so as not to disrupt the team entirely.

Out: McInerney, Hipwood, Cameron (to sub), Answerth
In: Morris or Ryan, Tunstill, Lohmann, Reville or Brain

I’d love to add Berry to this too but he was ok last week which in a performance like that, makes it seem better than it was. He’s on notice if I’m coach.

Give some of the second stringers / youngsters a sniff and fire a rocket up some of the firsts. This will breed competition for spots which you need to be successful.

I don't think we are too far away.... We've played two realistic contenders, and a decent Fremantle... In the west. It's a slow start... That's all. Enough with the knee jerk... Coach says there's 20 round to go. I'm with him.

This and starting Lohmann with Dev or Tunstill as the sub is my preferred moves this week.
We also need a proper distributor in the backline. I'd move fletcher back with a license to run n carry. If fletcher is running past, you feed him with a handball - else you're out next week.

Who’s the 40 goal a year forward we replace him with?
Morris could be that man. I know it's very early in his career, but 7 goals from 2 reserves games is impressive for such a young tall. You never know until he's given a shot.

And who does he replace down back?
Payne or Lester, depending on whether he's seen as a second or third tall defender.

Oh he’s a very average key forward and our development and drafting has been poor but shifting him to a new position will not help
How do you know until it's been tried? What evidence is there to say he won't be any good down back?

Morris could be that man. I know it's very early in his career, but 7 goals from 2 reserves games is impressive for such a young tall. You never know until he's given a shot.

Payne or Lester, depending on whether he's seen as a second or third tall defender.

How do you know until it's been tried? What evidence is there to say he won't be any good down back?

He was a valuable contributor in a grand final team and 3 games later we're saying "play him down back, he might be good, you never know".

You don't see how ridiculous this is?

Big step up for Morris going from playing on Collingwoods 5th best defender to playing on their first

He was a valuable contributor in a grand final team and 3 games later we're saying "play him down back, he might be good, you never know".
3 games later he's playing like someone who belongs in the amateurs.

You don't see how ridiculous this is?
Is it more ridiculous than his performance on Thursday night? Or more ridiculous than us losing to Carlton with the lead we had? At least trying something different has a chance of working. Sticking with the same players in the same roles and hoping they all play themselves into form is just blind faith and gives us a real chance of losing to North.

Big step up for Morris going from playing on Collingwoods 5th best defender to playing on their first
First? Did Joe Daniher get kidnapped or something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 games later he's playing like someone who belongs in the amateurs.

Is it more ridiculous than his performance on Thursday night? Or more ridiculous than us losing to Carlton with the lead we had? At least trying something different has a chance of working. Sticking with the same players in the same roles and hoping they all play themselves into form is just blind faith and gives us a real chance of losing to North.

First? Did Joe Daniher get kidnapped or something?

Had a shocker against the pies but this is ridiculous

It’s blind faith to think players will regain the form they’ve shown over several years but shifting them into a foreign position and expecting the team to regain form isn’t?

We could’ve very easily have beaten both Carlton and Collingwood had it not been injuries and poor goal kicking and that’s before you get to the bulk of our team being greatly out of form

Moore played on Hipwood and he’s one of the best key backs in the league. Could you imagine the influence Moore would’ve had playing on Morris

It’s blind faith to think players will regain the form they’ve shown over several years but shifting them into a foreign position and expecting the team to regain form isn’t?
All of them? At once? Alright then.

We could’ve very easily have beaten both Carlton and Collingwood had it not been injuries and poor goal kicking and that’s before you get to the bulk of our team being greatly out of form
We should have utterly thrashed Carlton, and poor goalkicking shouldn't be rewarded with more opportunities. Perhaps you're happy to keep everything the same and hope it'll all get better. I'm not.

Moore played on Hipwood and he’s one of the best key backs in the league. Could you imagine the influence Moore would’ve had playing on Morris
Except we're playing North this week, not Collingwood. Why are you acting like this is being discussed ahead of the Collingwood game?

I seem to recall Leigh Matthews many years making a number of player positional moves with stunning effect. The first was moving Leppa from the forward line and turning him into an AA CHB; same with Chris Johnson who in turn I think revolutionised how small backs rebounded out of defence. The last move was shifting Aka from the forward to a back pocket for one season and then after one season Aka elevated his game to a whole other level.

There’s probably countless other examples out there to at other clubs but dismissing a significant move for a player because he’s only ever played in that position is just plain dumb. As we’ve seen, it can transfer players careers as it did for the 3 I just mentioned.

I don't think we are too far away.... We've played two realistic contenders, and a decent Fremantle... In the west. It's a slow start... That's all. Enough with the knee jerk... Coach says there's 20 round to go. I'm with him.
Loving your work on this board Don, even though I don’t think much of your politics.

Can I suggest you add the by line “Make Brisbane Great Again!”

Real footy starts in April no need for knee jerks to 1 May.

All of them? At once? Alright then.

We should have utterly thrashed Carlton, and poor goalkicking shouldn't be rewarded with more opportunities. Perhaps you're happy to keep everything the same and hope it'll all get better. I'm not.

Except we're playing North this week, not Collingwood. Why are you acting like this is being discussed ahead of the Collingwood game?

This is very amusing

Because if we're replacing Hipwood with Morris this is what's going to happen. Will you switch Hipwood forward each time we play Collingwood?

I seem to recall Leigh Matthews many years making a number of player positional moves with stunning effect. The first was moving Leppa from the forward line and turning him into an AA CHB; same with Chris Johnson who in turn I think revolutionised how small backs rebounded out of defence. The last move was shifting Aka from the forward to a back pocket for one season and then after one season Aka elevated his game to a whole other level.

There’s probably countless other examples out there to at other clubs but dismissing a significant move for a player because he’s only ever played in that position is just plain dumb. As we’ve seen, it can transfer players careers as it did for the 3 I just mentioned.
Have you played football/been involved with a footy club in recent times?

I can 100% guarantee you that your idea is, as others have stated, ridiculous. Eric is a forward and has been playing forward for ever. You really think he can just get asked to go down back and instantly become a key defender? That would take at least half a preseason to do, as he would need to be integrated in the defensive teams structure, zone positioning and all that, let alone learning the craft of being a defender.

If you said "Eric is giving me the shits, fagan should give him stints on the wing or direct him to play as a genuine roaming CHF high up the ground" you'd be making more sense

Hipwood goes down back and becomes a solid back man in a few years. Then what? What have we achieved?

Key backs is an area where we have depth. Genuine key tall forwards isn't.

Numpties just want to punish Hipwood because he's a whipping boy

Have you played football/been involved with a footy club in recent times?

I can 100% guarantee you that your idea is, as others have stated, ridiculous. Eric is a forward and has been playing forward for ever. You really think he can just get asked to go down back and instantly become a key defender? That would take at least half a preseason to do, as he would need to be integrated in the defensive teams structure, zone positioning and all that, let alone learning the craft of being a defender.

If you said "Eric is giving me the shits, fagan should give him stints on the wing or direct him to play as a genuine roaming CHF high up the ground" you'd be making more sense
I've often wondered if Hipwood is worth a stint on the wing. It's worked with similarly built forwards in the past. The problem is he's not that good a mark , well at least as a tall forward , and one area we're lacking in is marking targets on the wings.

Because if we're replacing Hipwood with Morris this is what's going to happen. Will you switch Hipwood forward each time we play Collingwood?
Hey genius, this week we play North, a poor team, which makes it the perfect time to blood a youngster, because the opposition is easier. If he keeps his spot for many weeks, by the time we play Collingwood again he'll have several senior games under his belt, and from having the experience, he'll be better able to deal with better key defenders such as those Collingwood have. Are you able to understand this, or are you just playing silly buggers?

Last edited:
Hipwood goes down back and becomes a solid back man in a few years. Then what? What have we achieved?
Then we've found a better position for him, and he may be better than what we currently have at second tall defender.

Key backs is an area where we have depth. Genuine key tall forwards isn't.
Then we recruit someone this offseason who is a better tall forward. Or we give games to those on our list to see if they can take the next step.

Numpties just want to punish Hipwood because he's a whipping boy
No, people want to try something different with Hipwood because he was abysmal against Collingwood and we want to get the best out of him, because he might continue to play poorly if nothing changes.

i'd love some changes in positions. I'd love to see someone who could actually mark the ball play at full forward........Harris Andrews.

A back line of Gardiner, Payne, Lester, Wilmot, McKenna, Starce is very sound, plus Joyce, Kiddy, Brain, Madden to play if required. I think Andrews talents are greater than playing a negating role at FB

Hey genius, this week we play North, a poor team, which makes it the perfect time to blood a youngster, because the opposition is easier. If he keeps his spot for many weeks, by the time we play Collingwood again he'll have several senior games under his belt, and from having the experience, he'll be better able to deal with better players such as those Collingwood. Are you able to understand this, or are you just playing silly buggers?
I wouldn’t want to say the opposition is easier. But North do lack quality key defenders.

IMG_3066.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back