Unofficial Preview Changes v North - Gather Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fort's our best ruck, so Oscar is out for me. Eric is also out and Morris is in.

So when Daniher goes into the ruck, Morris gets the best defender?

Not going to happen.

Hipwood stays, Lohmann for Dev, maybe Tunstill sub.

Payne stays (for Larkey), and Answerth does too (need him with Zorko going back, and he did OK on Thurs when he went to Hill IMO).

Then we've found a better position for him, and he may be better than what we currently have at second tall defender.

Then we recruit someone this offseason who is a better tall forward. Or we give games to those on our list to see if they can take the next step.

No, people want to try something different with Hipwood because he was abysmal against Collingwood and we want to get the best out of him, because he might continue to play poorly if nothing changes.

Sounds like a great reason to mess about with a well functioning forward line (2019-23)

How successful have we been in finding decent key forwards in the last 20 years? Remember how many games McStay played?

This is seriously idiotic. If we had 6 key forwards and 2 key backs instead of having 6 key backs and 2 key forwards and weren’t in our premiership window it might be a worthwhile experiment

I wouldn’t want to say the opposition is easier. But North do lack quality key defenders.

View attachment 1945989
You may think North lack quality key defenders but the club certainly do not think that.
We went pretty hard at Kallan Dawson. Unfortunately he decided to stay. Had he come he'd be partnering Andrews now.

You may think North lack quality key defenders but the club certainly do not think that.
We went pretty hard at Kallan Dawson. Unfortunately he decided to stay. Had he come he'd be partnering Andrews now.

Dawson might have potential but looked completely out of depth in the giants game

Nathan footy clubs are notorious for coaches and players to be very resistant to change . Especially if they see themselves as successful.

I'm not talking panic stations or anything drastic. We've got guys not putting in enough (imo). Shake things up just a little bit.

We're playing North so we'll beat them easily and everyone will think we're all fine.
yep will be false form. North will have some good periods and Larkey likely to kick a few, but our mids will dominate and a couple of our forwards will kick a bag of 5 or 6 as Norths tall defenders are pretty average.

The real test is after North Melbourne, Dees in Melbourne, Geelong and GWS in Canberra, somehow we need to win two of those three.

Dawson might have potential but looked completely out of depth in the giants game
Still an improvement on what we have shown this season (excluding) Andrews.
...and yes he has potential. Some development under Clarckson should impact his development.

It's a good thing that we get to go away to Adelaide at this juncture and play NM.

Get away from the cauldron and the usual press corps. A nice trip to the country.

It might freshen us up a little.

It's a good thing that we get to go away to Adelaide at this juncture and play NM.

Get away from the cauldron and the usual press corps. A nice trip to the country.

It might freshen us up a little.
Should send them to Vegas to freshen up and do some team bonding I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you played football/been involved with a footy club in recent times?

I can 100% guarantee you that your idea is, as others have stated, ridiculous. Eric is a forward and has been playing forward for ever. You really think he can just get asked to go down back and instantly become a key defender? That would take at least half a preseason to do, as he would need to be integrated in the defensive teams structure, zone positioning and all that, let alone learning the craft of being a defender.

If you said "Eric is giving me the shits, fagan should give him stints on the wing or direct him to play as a genuine roaming CHF high up the ground" you'd be making more sense
Yeah I have.

Leppa was also a forward all his life in junior footy and when he joined the Bears / Lions and same for Johno. I assume you were saying the same when Loopy Lethal decided he’d make both defenders?

What’s even more idiotic is that unlike Leppa and Johnno, neither had played defence as juniors whereas Eric had. So I think it’s pretty evident who is being ridiculous here.

And just for the record, I’ve not once said or advocated for Eric to move back just highlighting how naive you’d have to be to think any player can’t be reinvented in another part of the ground maybe with the exception of a ruckman.

Sounds like a great reason to mess about with a well functioning forward line (2019-23)

How successful have we been in finding decent key forwards in the last 20 years? Remember how many games McStay played?
Past performance is no indicator of future success. And we recruited Daniher.

This is seriously idiotic. If we had 6 key forwards and 2 key backs instead of having 6 key backs and 2 key forwards and weren’t in our premiership window it might be a worthwhile experiment
How many of those key defenders are KPDs rather than third talls?

Hipwood goes down back and becomes a solid back man in a few years. Then what? What have we achieved?

Key backs is an area where we have depth. Genuine key tall forwards isn't.

Numpties just want to punish Hipwood because he's a whipping boy
When did I say I wanted Eric back and I’m the numpty here 🙄

People like you and Zorkooo saying players can’t be moved without effect is plain ridiculous even if it is Eric who I’ve not once suggested.

Past performance is no indicator of future success. And we recruited Daniher.

How many of those key defenders are KPDs rather than third talls?

Yes it is. Then what would indicate future performance? 1 success in 20 years. Maybe we'll find someone else as good as Hipwood in 10 years time

That's my point. So why send our second best key forward down back?

Jesus

Yes it is. Then what would indicate future performance?
In drafting and trading? Nothing. The future is unknown. People have spent high draft picks and megabucks on players that became busts, and unheralded ones turned out well too.

1 success in 20 years. Maybe we'll find someone else as good as Hipwood in 10 years time
Ah well, maybe you're right and we can never do better than Hipwood. Let's just not even bother acquiring one until Hipwood retires, after all they can't possibly be as good as him. The impressive early form of Logan Morris is just a mirage because he'll never hold a candle to Eric Hipwood.

That's my point. So why send our second best key forward down back?

Jesus
Because he's playing like my grandma right now up front. If there's a week to experiment, it's this one. They also sent Jack Payne up front in the VFL last week too, I suppose that was a grievous error?

I think we just go one ruck so Fort out. Who replaces him could go to a midfielder or a forward.
Answerth has had one solid game and one under average game so he could be in trouble being one of those fringe players.
Dev needs a confidence game in the VFL to get some touch back and wait till an opening occurs in the seniors.
I don't see much else happening unless Charlies leg injury niggle needs a week's rest.

LIONS

B: B.Starcevich, J.Payne, R.Lester

HB: D.Wilmot, H.Andrews , D.Zorko

C: J.Fletcher, H.McCluggage, J.Berry

HF: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, L.Morris

FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, C.Ah-Chee, Z.Bailey, (N.Answerth/J.Prior)

5th I/C from B.Reville (Cat B upgrade?), J.Tunstill, D Robertson.
...............................................................................................

Morris unlikely to get selected but i hope they give him a go v North.
Tunstill could just come in for Fort. He or Reville deserves a go over Robertson for now anyhow.

In drafting and trading? Nothing. The future is unknown. People have spent high draft picks and megabucks on players that became busts, and unheralded ones turned out well too.

Ah well, maybe you're right and we can never do better than Hipwood. Let's just not even bother acquiring one until Hipwood retires, after all they can't possibly be as good as him. The impressive early form of Logan Morris is just a mirage because he'll never hold a candle to Eric Hipwood.

Because he's playing like my grandma right now up front. If there's a week to experiment, it's this one. They also sent Jack Payne up front in the VFL last week too, I suppose that was a grievous error?

You can draft and develop in the VFL key forwards without messing around with your senior teams performance

Did you watch that VFL game? There wasn't much for our defence to do and Payne clearly needs confidence. Can't think of anything better than taking a couple of big grabs in the forward line

wouldnt mind seeing morris get a gig but suggesting he takes hipwood's spot is a bit silly

morris as our only 'tall' in f50 when daniher is rucking would be a recipe for disaster even against norf's key defenders
I can see the logic of that.

But if Hippy plays like he did last week it wouldn't matter.

Fwiiw I think Fort has improvement off last week's game and I'd keep playing him but it looks like he'll get the chop.

I can see the logic of that.

But if Hippy plays like he did last week it wouldn't matter.

Fwiiw I think Fort has improvement off last week's game and I'd keep playing him but it looks like he'll get the chop.

If everyone only plays as well as their worst match then yeah we'll struggle

If Charlie only ever kicks 1 out of 4 shots on goal we're gonna struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back