Unofficial Preview Changes v North Melbourne after the bye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Too slow, I've have thought.

I'd prefer to try T Berry in that role. Good second effort, good tackling. His weaknesses are accumulation related, but his pressure is elite.
I too like young Berry's forward pressure can result in opposition turnovers, he just needs a little more awareness (hopefully with experience) to put himself in good positions more often to get his hands on the ball

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which fits into our forward structure better? I don't think bringing in a lumbering stay at home marking forward will work.

HSmith might look good at times in the VFL but I'd say he's a long way off playing the role required in our forwardline

Both Daniher and Hipwood are mobile forward types who play well up the ground. Having a stay at home, lead out of the goal square type can create space for the others and just as importantly not get in their way. Smith is not as fluid as Fullarton but I would not put him in the lumbering category.

Smith so far this year has had very limited rucking thrown his way but I would say his ruck work has been up and down. I was disappointed early in the year but in a couple of other games I thought he held his own pretty well. In front of goal he has been very accurate and has made the most of his chances. He has not looked particularly dangerous as a leading forward but he has been a target up front.

Fullarton has been used mostly as a forward / back up ruck and for one or two games as the first ruck. Up forward he has looked no better than Smith and for a guy that has been in the system for a few years that is disappointing. He has also been inaccurate when he has gotten chances. I have yet to see him impose himself on a game in the forward half. In the ruck he has looked less effective if anything than Smith despite getting much more time and reps in there. Some of his rucking this year has been very poor.

If I am honest I think both should be a long way of playing at AFL level. The fact that Smith is a very young first year player gives him an excuse. Fullarton less so given his time in the system. I think one of the reasons to get Lane in now is probably to give Fullarton a chance to play solely up forward for the rest of the year and see what he can do. I personally think he needs to show a lot more to justify a spot next year.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Both Daniher and Hipwood are mobile forward types who play well up the ground. Having a stay at home, lead out of the goal square type can create space for the others and just as importantly not get in their way. Smith is not as fluid as Fullarton but I would not put him in the lumbering category.

Smith so far this year has had very limited rucking thrown his way but I would say his ruck work has been up and down. I was disappointed early in the year but in a couple of other games I thought he held his own pretty well. In front of goal he has been very accurate and has made the most of his chances. He has not looked particularly dangerous as a leading forward but he has been a target up front.

Fullarton has been used mostly as a forward / back up ruck and for one or two games as the first ruck. Up forward he has looked no better than Smith and for a guy that has been in the system for a few years that is disappointing. He has also been inaccurate when he has gotten chances. I have yet to see him impose himself on a game in the forward half. In the ruck he has looked less effective if anything than Smith despite getting much more time and reps in there. Some of his rucking this year has been very poor.

If I am honest I think both should be a long way of playing at AFL level. The fact that Smith is a very young first year player gives him an excuse. Fullarton less so given his time in the system. I think one of the reasons to get Lane in now is probably to give Fullarton a chance to play solely up forward for the rest of the year and see what he can do. I personally think he needs to show a lot more to justify a spot next year.
I think Fullarton just about showed more at Senior level than he has when he went back to the reserves . I just can't see Smith having any impact at all at Senior level at this stage .

I really liked Fullarton 2 years ago and he just hasn't progressed but he has the tools athletic wise.

I'm no huge wrap for McStay and there's a big gulf between him and whoever we have coming through.

So it will end up being an area of need if anyone gets injured.

mebevan

Debutant
Apr 24, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We got cut up down the middle of the field by a Melbourne side that 'went for it' during that second half. Everything for them was about moving the ball into the corridor by hand and putting the gas on. It didnt come off as well in the first half but found its mark agains a tiring defence in the second.

The past few months we have been winning everything where contested footy has been at play. The number of 1 on 1s weve won has been astounding. Marks down the line or Harris intercepting or smashing the ball back out of foward 50.

Dees didnt give us that they ran with ball in hand toward our half forward (similar to dogs) then either shot or chipped for an easy mark. I think we were off the boil for contested possession on the inside hopefully that comes good with neale back to form. But we need to find a tactical switch if we play them again as they will just cut us up in the middle if they get possession and run at us.

Im confident our game and team stands up to most other tactics. Even might i dare say a Geelong prelim style of keepies offies. I think that would suit us more now as we can win 1 on 1s. We just need to do something like send matho and robbo into that inside channel and block the run next time we come up agains this run tactic.

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking at changes. 2 certain outs Zorko (Susp), Lester (Hamstring)

Leaning towards Payne over Madden for Lester.
Hipwood/Payne - T.Campbell/Larkey
M.Adams - Zurhaar

Mattieson to replace Zorko

Is J.Berry ready? If he is then he replaces J.Prior i feel

I thought Fagan said Berry needed some good run of games and are you really going to bother risking J.Berry vs North
No chance of Prior getting dropped against North I'd say, even if J.Berry is fully fit.
Prior has played his role very well and does a lot of unrecognised off the ball stuff that Fages would love.

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
Seems there’s a chance the game might still be played at Marvel, with the roof open; or moved to Tassie.

For our VIC members I hope it’s still played in Melbourne, or it’ll be another donation.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seeing we coming out at a snail pace. Be like regional next week if we lucky.
Regional this weekend only 150 allowed in crowds :( Barwon called off games this weekend.

so unless they make a exception be no crowd or Tassie

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
I feel like we have a lot of players that thrive on crowd atmosphere. I feel nervous v any team at an empty stadium.

I feel like we have a lot of players that thrive on crowd atmosphere. I feel nervous v any team at an empty stadium.

Interesting thought - I know that's a criticism that's been made of Richmond at times over the past 12/18 months too.

I would rather play in an empty Marvel than in Hobart.

I reckon a few at the club would disagree. Fages has never coached a game down there where he spent a lot of his life, and I don’t think Mitch has ever played down there either where he grew up. To memory, all our Tassie games have been in Launceston.

ForzaRoma

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon a few at the club would disagree. Fages has never coached a game down there where he spent a lot of his life, and I don’t think Mitch has ever played down there either where he grew up. To memory, all our Tassie games have been in Launceston.
This time of the year, the conditions down there are usually quite bad and North seem to perform well there. They even almost beat Melbourne down there. I would feel much safer playing in Melbourne. Especially if we can get a small crowd of Melbourne fans to come along too.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Seems there’s a chance the game might still be played at Marvel, with the roof open; or moved to Tassie.

For our VIC members I hope it’s still played in Melbourne, or it’ll be another donation.

It’s a donation every year tbh. Which I’m happy to give, but I’m under no illusions I get value for my money.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting thoughts on the Birchall/ Lester debate. We need speed across half back but not sure these options are valuable.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sounds half plausible.

The one point he did make which is valid is that guys like Rich and Birchall play a little loose and the one guy who can actually run and make something happen in Ah Chee is always in a defensive role. Which limits his impact and makes people on Big Footy think he's not doing much.

Personally I understand that savvy peple always blame the M/F when defence or forwards aren't going all that hot but it's becoming fairly self evident that we need more run out of defence to be a premiership contender. If we have the capacity to find that on our list.

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sounds half plausible.

The one point he did make which is valid is that guys like Rich and Birchall play a little loose and the one guy who can actually run and make something happen in Ah Chee is always in a defensive role. Which limits his impact and makes people on Big Footy think he's not doing much.

Personally I understand that savvy peple always blame the M/F when defence or forwards aren't going all that hot but it's becoming fairly self evident that we need more run out of defence to be a premiership contender. If we have the capacity to find that on our list.
I would see it as robbing Peter to pay Paul to use Zorko or Clugga. I hope we see a backline that includes the pace of Madden and Answerth in the latter half of the season.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I would see it as robbing Peter to pay Paul to use Zorko or Clugga. I hope we see a backline that includes the pace of Madden and Answerth in the latter half of the season.

Neither Madden or Answerth are decent kicks. Nor is Answerth actually fast enough to be a genuine run and carry player.

I my own view is that Prior is a natural successor to Birchall, able to run and carry and good kick as well.

Then Madden has the genuine speed to be that one and carry player, who is also genuinely accountable defensively.

Three tall defenders, plus Rich, Starcevich, Prior and Madden.

And we’ve still got Carter Michael developing as a possible Rich successor.

Ah Cheer as a legitimate utility forward or back.

Answerth, Michael, B.Smith, Lester and Payne as depth.

We probably should be looking for another KPD and possibly another elite kick out of defence.

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This time of the year, the conditions down there are usually quite bad and North seem to perform well there. They even almost beat Melbourne down there. I would feel much safer playing in Melbourne. Especially if we can get a small crowd of Melbourne fans to come along too.
Conditions in Melbourne and Hobart at this time of year are near identical, so that is not really a factor

Jul 21, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Correct, I have been to every game the Lions have played in Tassie and they have all been in Launceston. Would love to see them at Blundstone.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting thoughts on the Birchall/ Lester debate. We need speed across half back but not sure these options are valuable.

The evidence that lack of speed in defence is a problem is the second quarter against Melbourne. The midfield was completely on top but the Dees kick 3.1 from iirc 6 inside 50 entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back