Changes v North - OUT Hunt & Pedersen, IN Frost & Kent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks as though Gawn will be expected to go one out for the entire game. Who will be backup, now that Pederson is out of the side?

I expect Waite will relieve Goldstein again this week in light of last weeks showing and Melbourne lack of a true ruck backup.

KPD match up wise, Brown looms as an issue after bagging 5 and 4 last year. I expect Lever to trail Waite all over the ground.

At the other end of the ground, Hogan played a real good game last week, but Tarrant and Thompson have had best 5 performances in the first two games of the season.

Tarrant to take Hogan, Thompson to Frost ( who has to start stepping up and exerting some influence)

Williams will take the dangerous Garlett, and I reckon the emerging Vickers-Willis might take Petracca.

Could be a bad choice as he brings a great physical contest. Understand the rationale though.

I really like Cam as a player, he is underrated and I reckon he was hard done by when North let him go.

It looks as though Gawn will be expected to go one out for the entire game. Who will be backup, now that Pederson is out of the side?

I expect Waite will relieve Goldstein again this week in light of last weeks showing and Melbourne lack of a true ruck backup.

KPD match up wise, Brown looms as an issue after bagging 5 and 4 last year. I expect Lever to trail Waite all over the ground.

At the other end of the ground, Hogan played a real good game last week, but Tarrant and Thompson have had best 5 performances in the first two games of the season.

Tarrant to take Hogan, Thompson to Frost ( who has to start stepping up and exerting some influence)

Williams will take the dangerous Garlett, and I reckon the emerging Vickers-Willis might take Petracca.
Goodwin is foxing with with Frost. There’s no way he plays CHF. He will go straight to Brown and OMac will get Waite.

Petracca will play as a CHF / HF and our smaller forward will look to add speed.

Goodwin is foxing with with Frost. There’s no way he plays CHF. He will go straight to Brown and OMac will get Waite.

Lever to play defensive back up to Frost?

Can Omac go with Waite?

Petracca will play as a CHF / HF and our smaller forward will look to add speed.

Yeah, I can see that unfolding but I am not too concerned from a balance perspective as Thompson is equally adaptive, if not better, at ground level.

Can Omac go with Waite?

Yeah, I can see that unfolding but I am not too concerned from a balance perspective as Thompson is equally adaptive, if not better, at ground level.
If using your forward line is an example;

Frost - Brown
OMac - Waite
Lever - McDonald (I expect McDonald to start back though)

Lever zones off his man and attempts to get in the way of Brown leading. Essentially Lever starts in front of his man and follows the flight of the ball to act as a 2 on 1 in front of Brown or Waite. Lever is there to be an interceptor.

OMac and Waite or OMac on Brown, either or. The key is Lever using his ability to read the play and intercept the inside 50 kicks.

Gawn will be one out in the ruck but may swap with Hogan I’d say. Him or Frost.

If using your forward line is an example;

Frost - Brown
OMac - Waite
Lever - McDonald (I expect McDonald to start back though)

Lever zones off his man and attempts to get in the way of Brown leading. Essentially Lever starts in front of his man and follows the flight of the ball to act as a 2 on 1 in front of Brown or Waite. Lever is there to be an interceptor.

OMac and Waite or OMac on Brown, either or. The key is Lever using his ability to read the play and intercept the inside 50 kicks.

Gawn will be one out in the ruck but may swap with Hogan I’d say. Him or Frost.

You can scratch out L-Mac up forward. Won't happen.

From a North perspective I am happy with that set up, as Waite will roam far and wide and I hope his opponents trails him.If the three line up in defence then Jack Ziebell will go forward and it would be dangerous for Melbourne if they don't lock down on him.

I expect your side to play a 7 man defence. North will do the same, in the expectation that if we can quell Melbourne's forward thrusts we could capitalise with height up forward. Unless one of the sides goes to sleep, I expect this game to be a grind, just like both of last years results.

You can scratch out L-Mac up forward. Won't happen.

From a North perspective I am happy with that set up, as Waite will roam far and wide and I hope his opponents trails him.If the three line up in defence then Jack Ziebell will go forward and it would be dangerous for Melbourne if they don't lock down on him.

I expect your side to play a 7 man defence. North will do the same, in the expectation that if we can quell Melbourne's forward thrusts we could capitalise with height up forward. Unless one of the sides goes to sleep, I expect this game to be a grind, just like both of last years results.
Well that’s the thing, unless one of us goes to sleep and Melbourne do that.

Gawn will just play 95% game time. Lives for hard work.
Omac on Waite im ok with, if Waite goes roaming it works well for Oscar as hes got the tank to keep up but also burn off him in a turnover.

Frost vs Brown worries me greatly. Should kick 6.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brown and Waite kicked 4 goals and took 2 marks between them in the JLT game. It's not like they were running amok against Lever and OMac. With Frost for support as well I don't expect either to kick a bag, especially when we should win the clearances and inside 50s quite easily. It's goals out the back from turnovers and the occasional stoppage that we should be worried about.

i actually think o.mac will take brown and frost goes to waite and follows wherever he goes. wether it be fwd, wing or ruck, and looks to run off him at every opportunity.

I'm ok with the changes.
Hunt needs to find form and 1 game in the 2's might be all it takes.
Pedo out for structure.
We'll attempt to run Norf ragged.
They can switch Waite into the ruck to relieve Goldy but I'd expect Gawn to go all day and spank them both so provided he doesn't hurt himself, we win that battle.
Ben Brown is my big worry. He could take Oscar to the cleaners but with Frost down there, hopefully Lever can chop a few off.
Kent when fit was well and truly in our best 18 so if he has got himself right, for me he's ahead of a few and deserves a crack.

Happy with Frost coming in. Even if brown kicks a few on him it will help free Lever up to do what he does best.

My boy Kent back I reckon is a direct replacement for Hunt. Reckon Kent pushes back to the wing and will use his run and carry. I hope he's told to run with the ball as often as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can switch Waite into the ruck to relieve Goldy but I'd expect Gawn to go all day and spank them both so provided he doesn't hurt himself, we win that battle.

Gawn definitely took the honors last time they went head to head in 2016, during Goldsteins slump, but Todd had his measure in his great 2015 season. He has definitely improved this season based on what I have seen. I don't expect any huge advantage either way from this contest.

I like the changes. It's great to see Kent back in. He'll bring more pressure, and that is obviously Goodwin's mantra.

I feel for Pedo, but I presume it's a balance thing, with Frost coming in. Should be interesting to see how Lever goes with Frost taking the second tall.

With more midfield pressure, there should be a lot more intercept marking period in the back line.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2018-04-06/frost-demanded-selection-chaplin

SAM Frost demanded his way back into the Melbourne team – for this Saturday’s clash against North Melbourne at the MCG – through strong form in the VFL and his work on the track, says his backline coach Troy Chaplin.

Chaplin said Frost had been knocking on the door of selection, after being an emergency in the opening two rounds.

“He’s had a good month of solid football and has performed really well at VFL level, in the practice matches. Even when he wasn’t playing there, he’s been a standout at training,” the assistant coach told Melbourne Media.

“We just felt that in the past North has given us some trouble with tall forwards and it was imperative that we got a tall in there, so Frosty has come into the team.”

Basically confirms Frost will be playing as a tall in defence.

Also interesting:

Chaplin said boom recruit Jake Lever had also settled in well, lifting his game against the Lions last week.

“He’s instilled some real leadership after coming across from Adelaide,” he said.

“He’s a very vocal player and reads the play extremely well, so we think Jake and Oscar are going to be key pillars for the Melbourne Football Club for a long time.

“And this week, we add Sam Frost into the mix and we’re really hoping that these guys’ strengths really come on show this year.”

As for playing all three talls down back, Chaplin said it would be “a week to week proposition”, but he was confident Lever, McDonald and Frost would work well together.

“The first couple of weeks we played with two talls. We spoke to all of the guys throughout pre-season and said ‘some weeks we could play two or three, depending on the opposition’,” he said.
Sounds like they're really committed to the Lever/McDonald defensive duo, with Frost to come into the side when needed. To McDonald's credit he's been fantastic this year, starting to look really good.

Gawn definitely took the honors last time they went head to head in 2016, during Goldsteins slump, but Todd had his measure in his great 2015 season. He has definitely improved this season based on what I have seen. I don't expect any huge advantage either way from this contest.
So Goldy got him in 2015? 3 years ago? Gawn got him in 2016 and spanked him in JLT. Gawn unless he injures himself, wins this battle IMO

Can Omac go with Waite?

Thompson better at ground level than Petracca?

Oscar McDonald has been very very good this year. I don’t think he is getting enough kudos for his hard work.

Literally 100% game time against Geelong..

98% in the Brisbane Humidity.

I’m going to be fuming if we play dumb footy this week and rush it in there with bomb kicks, will get picked off all day. Gotta play a lot smarter this week with our forward setup, I’m expecting a handball:kick ratio larger than 1:1.

Thompson better at ground level than Petracca?

Think he is saying Thompson is good at ground level for a tall, which is correct. He gets monstered a bit on some KPFs but handles the smaller guys ok. For some reason they’ve played him on Hogan before who has dealt with him easily, can’t see that happening this time around.

Oscar McDonald has been very very good this year. I don’t think he is getting enough kudos for his hard work.

Hawkins literally has career best averages vs us and OMac kept him goalless.

Yeah so the last time we beat North Oliver was 9 years old. Charlie Spargo and Harrison Petty were 6 and a half.

I was 11 :'(

I have an uncle who is a North fan.. I never hear from him other than to mouth off every time North beat us.

Last time he made an effort to visit was my 18th Birthday (10 years ago) and North beat us that day (of course) and he proceeded to give me s**t for the rest of the night.

Can't wait until I can finally stick it to him.

I have an uncle who is a North fan.. I never hear from him other than to mouth off every time North beat us.

Last time he made an effort to visit was my 18th Birthday (10 years ago) and North beat us that day (of course) and he proceeded to give me s**t for the rest of the night.

Can't wait until I can finally stick it to him.
We need to belt them JLT style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back