Preview Changes V Pies - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be very surprised if we dropped Robinson, he neutralised so many key contests tonight, particularly when we mounted a comeback. If we are going to drop one of our veterans it needs to be Birchall. As for next week though, I'd like to see Ely Smith debut for Harry Sharp. Berry comes back in for Prior or drop Birchall and let Prior play a role in the backline. I wouldn't mind Adams coming in for Lester, I'd give Payne at least 5 games to build some form and confidence at senior level. If McInerney doesn't get up I assume we'd have to go with Ballenden unless Archie is fit? If Charlie is out bring Coleman back into the 22.

Assuming O and Charlie are fine-

In- Jarrod Berry Ely Smith Marcus Adams
Out- Grant Birchall Harry Sharp Ryan Lester

I like Fullarton and he showed a bit tonight but he is straight out for McStay when he return's.

What was wrong with Berry? I didn't catch it on the pre-match.

Need to feed some experience back in if we can. Collingwood's speed and power up forward could be a problem.

Where ever and what ever happens regarding the game

OUT : Payne - Prior - Sharp - Robinson - Lester

IN : Adams - Smith - Mathieson - Robertson - Gardiner

Robinson career all but over in my eyes. Finished
Watching it from TV, like most of us, You do know that for the vast majority of the game Payne was marking Rohen, as he is arguably our fastest back out there tonight. Think Rohen was kept quiet with 5 disposals and no goals (not that stats are everything). Look at Birchall stats, probably look reasonable, yet did very little IMO.
I thought for his first game Prior showed something, Sharp is very young but a rest now would not hurt. I really like the pressure of Berry and I thought Bailey played well.
We lost the game because with a couple of minutes to go Zorks gives away a penalty and then an extra 50, and from that a minute later Hawkins is able to pass to Issac Smith, Lester just could not go with Smith and the rest is history...The umpire also in the last 20s had a fair bit to do with the result also.

A much better effort and we are NOT missing the top 8 on that form

What was wrong with Berry? I didn't catch it on the pre-match.

Need to feed some experience back in if we can. Collingwood's speed and power up forward could be a problem.
Soreness re: Berry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outs- Harry Sharp, Jaxon Prior, Grant Birchall, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins- Jarrod Berry, James Madden, Ely Smith, Keidean Coleman.

If ins and outs- Oscar out Archie in, Gardiner fit Lester out.

I thought T.Berry and Fullarton were pretty good in the 2nd half and deserve to retain their spot, Sharp and Prior will be better for the experience and now go back to the reserves to work on their game. I also thought Mitch Robbo was back to his old mongrel self for most of the game and did some good work inside the contest.

With the team scheduled to fly home this morning I guess we'll find out early if we will have to stay in Melbourne for this game, MCG Thursday night? :think:

Watching it from TV, like most of us, You do know that for the vast majority of the game Payne was marking Rohen, as he is arguably our fastest back out there tonight. Think Rohen was kept quiet with 5 disposals and no goals (not that stats are everything). Look at Birchall stats, probably look reasonable, yet did very little IMO.
I thought for his first game Prior showed something, Sharp is very young but a rest now would not hurt. I really like the pressure of Berry and I thought Bailey played well.
We lost the game because with a couple of minutes to go Zorks gives away a penalty and then an extra 50, and from that a minute later Hawkins is able to pass to Issac Smith, Lester just could not go with Smith and the rest is history...The umpire also in the last 20s had a fair bit to do with the result also.

A much better effort and we are NOT missing the top 8 on that form
I agree a lot with what you are stating. Zorko's antics is not showing inspirational leadership and I question his antics, as it and the umpire did affect the result in the end. Sharp is going to be fine but at present he is too light, which showed last night. Against Geelong, Brisbane to me does not have the big body strength to go the whole way. Lester is too slow and is not the answer in the backline. Hopefully Adams or Gardiner are back very soon to go into CHB. Mathieson and Ely Smith need to come in. Mitch Robbo was better. Oscar was good until injured, but the Ruck is a major concern for us. Letting Martin go is a major stuff up. Prior for his first game showed glimpses. Our centre clearances are well below par for the two games we have played and against Collingwood we need to improve otherwise it will be another loss.

I agree a lot with what you are stating. Zorko's antics is not showing inspirational leadership and I question his antics, as it and the umpire did affect the result in the end. Sharp is going to be fine but at present he is too light, which showed last night. Against Geelong, Brisbane to me does not have the big body strength to go the whole way. Lester is too slow and is not the answer in the backline. Hopefully Adams or Gardiner are back very soon to go into CHB. Mathieson and Ely Smith need to come in. Mitch Robbo was better. Oscar was good until injured, but the Ruck is a major concern for us. Letting Martin go is a major stuff up. Prior for his first game showed glimpses. Our centre clearances are well below par for the two games we have played and against Collingwood we need to improve otherwise it will be another loss.
I thought the Big O was really good after he got injured, even improved post injury.

I'm sick of saying this but Mitch Robinson??? Great clubman. Been wonderful addition for our club but the time has come. can't get the ball - when he does get it just throws it on the boot. I saw him get a handball last night and he just dropped it cold. He is cooked. How long can we carry him?

Birchall should be out and replaced by someone who doesn't let his opponent lead him to the ball by 15metres.

I would prefer Adams to Payne. Adams should have been taking Hawkins in those one on one contests last night and let Harris float around taking intercept marks and spoils. Put Adams on that dopey American Cox.

Ah Chee has been useless for majority of his games but gets picked every week. Play him forward or on a wing but get him away from the back line. He doesn't even offer run out of the back line.

Sharp play as the injury sub.

I hope Oscar is ok but didn't look great. We are going to regret letting Stef go now.

Ely Smith - Jarrod Berry - Marcus Adams should be automatic selections for Collingwood. Not sure Darcy Gardiner will be fit? Archie Smith will have to replace Oscar if he is injured. Perhaps Rhys Mathieson as well - he will get the ball more times than Robbo and unlike Robbo will get the odd free kick.

Don't know why people haven't figured out we rarely make wholesale unforced changes. One change after getting beaten easily last week so hardly doubt there will be five outs.

For me:

Out: Prior/Sharp
In: Berry, Smith (if O'Mac doesn't get up)

If McStay is fit he comes in for Fullarton who has been ordinary so far.

Suddenly Collingwood supporters think they are a chance of getting a Lions "home game" at the MCG, 0 chance of that happening.

Tom Browne reporting there is a chance AFL will keep us in Vic and not let us fly home. Do the AFL keep us in Vic for a few days in case Brisbane goes into lockdown?

Last edited:
Wouldn't think Dizzy would get picked off of 0 games.

Yep, VFL practice match cancelled today.

At the ground I thought Lester was one of our only defenders who wasn’t beaten and didn’t turn the ball over.

Payne has promise but there were several contests he had to kill that he completely miffed. A couple led to easy shots on goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back