LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
I’m not accusing anyone of being a bandwagoner.

That’s trying to twist what I said.

But it’s much more prevalent up here.

When I started going to the Gabba on a casual basis in 2015 and 2016, we were flat out getting 14,000 to 16,000 to most matches.

First game this year there were 22,000.

2015/2016 - part of the Dark years. That's not bad given how s**t we were back then. Does not prove Lions supporters are bandwagoners anymore than any other clubs fans.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
I’m not accusing anyone of being a bandwagoner.

That’s trying to twist what I said.

But it’s much more prevalent up here.

When I started going to the Gabba on a casual basis in 2015 and 2016, we were flat out getting 14,000 to 16,000 to most matches.

First game this year there were 22,000.

And I haven't twisted anything you've said. Your logic just doesn't wash.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
2015/2016 - part of the Dark years. That's not bad given how sh*t we were back then. Does not prove Lions supporters are bandwagoners anymore than any other clubs fans.
And I haven't twisted anything you've said. Your logic just doesn't wash.
You are genuinely confusing rusted on supporters with bandwagon supporters.

I don’t know what’s hard to understand here.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Goodluck getting a crowd to this game now if it stays in Brisbane. No one has any idea what's going on, and the possibility of masks and no advertisement will draw little people from Brisbane and zero people from interstate.

Rubbish, i cant wait for the game and I want it at the GABBA.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would be dropping Payne to bring Diz in before Lester! He is a bit of a liability with his foot skills and decision making at time. Not to mention he drops reasonably simple marks. I feel he will make it but is a bit of a liability at the moment.
Robbo stays in for mine also. Can’t wait for mcstay to be back to see what this forward can do! Geez I can’t wait until they click.
Wouldn’t be dropping Robbo either. Felt he was decent and hard at it on Friday. Wouldn’t mind prior heading back for birch and bringing in Ely, also sharp out for Berry.
Outs: Sharp, Payne, Birch
In: Berry, Ely, Diz

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why are people omitting Lester? 😂

He nullified about 15 passages that could have lead to scoring opourtunites.

Also.. I see its time for the yearly Robinson is done conversation? This will likely be his last year but we need him out there in the mean time.
His pace is a big issue tho considering Birchall and Rich in there too. Got showed up big time when he was on Smith and he got the winning goal, couldn't keep up with him or not paying attention

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Regardless of where the game is played or where the team is, there is already a disconnect with training and possibly recovery. If the game is to be in Bris the earliest we will be traveling back is Monday. If the game is moved to Melb the earliest we can fly replacement players down will be Monday as well. Either way it's a 2 or 3 day loss in a 6 day turnaround. The longer it takes for the afl to make a decision the more it will affect us.
Our post match processes, rehab and preparation for the Thursday game will have already been seriously impacted. Most players and staff haven't even brought clothes for an extended stay. Getting on a bus to get to the airport and getting pulled off at the last moment (if reported correctly) would be really unsettling for the group...this will really test us physically and mentally, not to mention the quick turnaround for a Thursday night game.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
You are genuinely confusing rusted on supporters with bandwagon supporters.

I don’t know what’s hard to understand here.

What's bizarre, is that you think the point you're trying to make proves that Lions supporters are the most likely to be bandwaggoners of ALL the clubs supporters. All clubs have rusted-ons and the casuals. Nothing you've brought up has in any way proven that Lions supporters are the most fickle. But keep pressing your point that proves nothing.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
What's bizarre, is that you think the point you're trying to make proves that Lions supporters are the most likely to be bandwaggoners of ALL the clubs supporters. All clubs have rusted-ons and the casuals. Nothing you've brought up has in any way proven that Lions supporters are the most fickle. But keep pressing your point that proves nothing.
I never said that all. I jumped in when you said QLD’ers aren’t bandwagoners or fickle.

That was the point.

Nothing to do Lions fans, or other AFL clubs fans. Solely QLD fans. As has been pointed out already, QLD’ers love a winner, and will fill any stadium of any sport, if the team is winning.

That’s what we were talking about.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
F1D07376-2236-43C3-B3ED-B2FEF39AF5DF.jpeg

See the section you highlighted. See the last word. State.

State as in the state of QLD. That is what was the point of discussion.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I always thought it was well known that QLD has a huge bandwagon fan base...

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I never said that all. I jumped in when you said QLD’ers aren’t bandwagoners or fickle.

That was the point.

Nothing to do Lions fans, or other AFL clubs fans. Solely QLD fans. As has been pointed out already, QLD’ers love a winner, and will fill any stadium of any sport, if the team is winning.

That’s what we were talking about.

And in 22 weeks, what do you think will happen if Melbourne hasn't lost another game?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
And in 22 weeks, what do you think will happen if Melbourne hasn't lost another game?
We’ll have royally stuffed up a pick swap, and I’ll be throwing cushions at the tv.

Melbourne shares a city with 8 other footy teams. Not sure how many casual fans there are left in Melbourne to jump on their wagon.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The one thing we had going for us when the Bears merged with the Lions was the support base in Victoria. Once we played finals the crowd was around 50/50 support.

GC and GWS have nobody in Vic. So no bandwagon for them. If there was one team in Queensland it would be a very powerful team. Far more so than Sydney.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
One new linked case today and the party was a false alarm.

All pretty positive.

Yeah, assuming that there only continues to be close contact positives who are already in self-isolation, there should be no rationale to move the game. The Vic government's position of requiring anyone in greater brisbane to isolate and get tested based on 3 cases (to date) is quite a severe overreaction.

If there is any consideration to fans the AFL will at least attempt to keep it on at the Gabba as scheduled - I know quite a few people who have planned trips based around the game, and while we do need to be flexible, there is currently no compelling reason why it can't go ahead. Collingwood should be able to fly in and fly out for the game and get an exemption from the Vic Government. Obviously, if things worsen in the next few days then the situation may need to change, but the facts as we know it are that this isn't very serious. If we are going to reschedule games based on a handful of cases where contact tracing has been successful, then this season will be even more all over the place fixturing than last.

As a Vic member, it would be pretty shithouse to lose out on one of the few Melbourne games if it gets swapped, and there are plenty of others who may miss out because they had planned trips elsewhere over the long weekend. A Vic membership is functionally a donation to the club at the best of times and this would cut the value of it by 20%.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
His pace is a big issue tho considering Birchall and Rich in there too. Got showed up big time when he was on Smith and he got the winning goal, couldn't keep up with him or not paying attention

I have no problem with the changes most are considering including dropping Lester but people really do need to look at that last goal more closely. Have a look at Sharp and his positioning. He was in the gap where the ball ended up but got sucked into taking a step or two into the contest and the ball went to the spot he vacated. He needed to hold his position. Tough lesson for the youngster.

At the moment our game plan is super slow which has caused us issues each of the last two years when we fell into that trap. We have been able to play slow at times but we also played quickly and exploited opportunities when they were there. This year there has been one paced - slow and like in previous years we are losing. We are playing down the wing tram tracks slowly from one contest to the next. We have no width and our wingers have all looked terrible because of it. I have felt sorry for Sharp and Prior. They were sold into a no win situation. Any outside is doomed to fail with our current approach.

Next week I see Ely coming in and unless there is a significant increase in trying to move the ball quickly when it is there he is going to look poor as well.

My changes would be

Out - Ah Chee, Sharp, Birchall, Fullarton
In - Madden, Berry, Gardner, Smith

Ah Chee gave nothing on the weekend. Supposedly there to provide run from the back he picked up 7 disposals and looked lost at times. Time to look at alternatives. I rate Sharp as a future player but it time to go back to the serves and work on the things he would have picked up. Birchall or Lester has to come out of the backline and I have gone with the guy who has played the worst. Fullarton is not up to it yet and we need another runner in that spot.

I think Payne did okay on the weekend on a player who is not someone he would usually get. Adams as we have seen is prone to at least as many poor games as good ones and personally I continue to give games to the young player with upside who is going okay albeit with a few errors here and there.

Coleman unlucky but I thought Smith deserved his chance and Prior after getting his first match should be given a second that he can properly prepare for. Plus I thought Prior was decent in the second half playing in a system doing him no favours.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have no problem with the changes most are considering including dropping Lester but people really do need to look at that last goal more closely. Have a look at Sharp and his positioning. He was in the gap where the ball ended up but got sucked into taking a step or two into the contest and the ball went to the spot he vacated. He needed to hold his position. Tough lesson for the youngster.

At the moment our game plan is super slow which has caused us issues each of the last two years when we fell into that trap. We have been able to play slow at times but we also played quickly and exploited opportunities when they were there. This year there has been one paced - slow and like in previous years we are losing. We are playing down the wing tram tracks slowly from one contest to the next. We have no width and our wingers have all looked terrible because of it. I have felt sorry for Sharp and Prior. They were sold into a no win situation. Any outside is doomed to fail with our current approach.

Next week I see Ely coming in and unless there is a significant increase in trying to move the ball quickly when it is there he is going to look poor as well.

My changes would be

Ah Chee gave nothing on the weekend. Supposedly there to provide run from the back he picked up 7 disposals and looked lost at times. Time to look at alternatives. I rate Sharp as a future player but it time to go back to the serves and work on the things he would have picked up. Birchall or Lester has to come out of the backline and I have gone with the guy who has played the worst. Fullarton is not up to it yet and we need another runner in that spot.

I think Payne did okay on the weekend on a player who is not someone he would usually get. Adams as we have seen is prone to at least as many poor games as good ones and personally I continue to give games to the young player with upside who is going okay albeit with a few errors here and there.

Coleman unlucky but I thought Smith deserved his chance and Prior after getting his first match should be given a second that he can properly prepare for. Plus I thought Prior was decent in the second half playing in a system doing him no favours.

Can't see Dizzy playing without some match practice, and with the VFL practice match cancelled he didn't get any. Similarily Ely only played a half in the VFL last week so may not be seen as able to be played based on that.

Completely agree re Fullerton but that will be dependent on whether Oscar is fit or not.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I just don't understand why they don't put Ah Chee in a more attacking role.

He's got far more talent than anyone of our current wingers.

I was really disappointed with how we lined up on Friday night and before that with our team selection . Touhey and Smith must have been laughing when they sized up their opponents.

Just don't understand it but I'm sure someone will have a rationale.

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

My changes would be

There's definitely some rearranging of the deck chairs required. I would rather swap Prior and Ah Chee, considering all reports were quite impressed with Ah Chee on the wing in pre season. Tbh I'm confused as to why he has been moved back anyways. Perhaps it implies he's holding Gardiners role and will move back to the song when he returns?

I feel like our most likely changes are:

In: Berry, Gardiner
Out: Sharp, Prior

This would make our backline extremely slow with Lester/Gardiner/Andrews/Rich/Birchall, but that speed doesn't seem to faze Fagan that much, even after stating our need for a fast attacking half back.

Hopefully Smith comes in though as we really need some more presence around the ball.

wantok

All Australian
Jan 3, 2012
brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The time has come to give Birch a rest. Let's call it Managed. My changes this week would be:
Out :Birchall, Sharp,Prior
In : J. Berry,E Smith,D Robertson

Lester. Andrews. T Berry
Starc. Payne. Rich
Robinson. Mcluggage Ah Chee
E. Smith. Hipwood. Zorko
McCarthy Daniher. Cameron

McInerney Neale Berry

D Robertson ,Bailey,Lyons, Fullarton

Sub Coleman

Sharpie needs a rest. I would like to leave Prior in for another crack as well but I am being loyal to Lester. One of him and Birch provides experience in the backs and Lester is better overhead. E. Smith to debut along with Dev Robertson. We need some fresh legs and Dev can be added to the midfield rotation to take the inside work from Lachie if he gets the tag. J. Berry is a welcome in if ok to go . If Oscar doesn't come up Archie is the best bet if available. At least he can jump over Grundy. I just wish he could pick up some possessions around the ground .
I would like to trial T Berry as that fast agile back pocket we need to counter the skilful small forwards everyone has these days. Ah Chee can run but cannot defend. I see him more as a linking Wingman.
None of this will probably happen but I like the balance of this team.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back