Preview Changes V Pies - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that we can't play the match at the MCG due to the fact Collingwood agreed to play an amount of matches at Docklands, which sucks given it would my peference as well, not just for our club but for the round itself also as the Good Friday match is also staged at Docklands the following day, unless that match is played at the MCG as a result now and we play at Docklands on the Thursday.

"It’s understood the reason the MCG is off the cards for this match is because Collingwood contractually must play a certain amount of games at Marvel Stadium every year"

"Another option that has been discussed at Collingwood is the possibility of playing the game at Metricon Stadium, which is outside Brisbane’s ‘orange zone’. Under that plan, the Pies would look at flying in and flying out on the same day"

Trying to drive down to the coast in Easter Thursday traffic.... shudder. Team better leave around breakfast time to make sure they get there in time.and forget a home ground crowd.

I’d rather swap for later in the year.

Our post match processes, rehab and preparation for the Thursday game will have already been seriously impacted. Most players and staff haven't even brought clothes for an extended stay. Getting on a bus to get to the airport and getting pulled off at the last moment (if reported correctly) would be really unsettling for the group...this will really test us physically and mentally, not to mention the quick turnaround for a Thursday night game.

It’s only a standard six day turnaround but for sure the ‘will we won’t we stay’ and being locked in hotel rooms is going to impact big time. And if we lose won’t the victorians whine on about Brisbane not being able to handle covid changes when all their teams did it last year.

I never said that all. I jumped in when you said QLD’ers aren’t bandwagoners or fickle.

That was the point.

Nothing to do Lions fans, or other AFL clubs fans. Solely QLD fans. As has been pointed out already, QLD’ers love a winner, and will fill any stadium of any sport, if the team is winning.

That’s what we were talking about.

That would be true of all people in all states. And the point is about Lions supporters because the majority of them are based in Qld.

I always thought it was well known that QLD has a huge bandwagon fan base...

Again, you could say the same for anyone else in the other states. Qlders, and specifically Lions supporters (because this entire conversation has been about us), are no more or no less likely to be bandwaggoners. Dont know why posters on here are having difficulty with this. Either you're stupid. Or more likely trolling.

Again, crowds going down because of long time poor team performance is not specific to Lions supporters. And we can't survive without bandwagoners?? Mate during The Dark Years we were ******* terrible. Yet we're still going. Your logic is sh*t.
WE ran up an enormous amount of debt during this time that would have destroyed a normal financial entity. We only exist because the AFL bank rolls us. Look at the extra money we get from the AFL compared to most other clubs. Youneverknow does have a point.

The important issue here is that we need to grow our brand so we do not lose 10 to 15 million during a poor run of form that lasts for many seasons. We could have gone out of existence if the AFK pulled the pin.

When I have been at the GABBA many of the people at the ground are AFL supporters not Brissie supporters. It would be interesting to know not only how many are not rusted on Brissie supporters but what % don't support us at all?

I am sort of planning to holiday in Brisbane during those last few home games. Hopefully the Covid situation has settled by then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had to laugh at Gary Lyon and Tim Watson on their morning show this morning. They said we need 40 pairs of jocks and socks, any clothing you can donate etc for the Brisbane Lions who are stuck down here. They were left with no clothes.

All good fun of course...

(my grandaughter and family are travelling around up there somewhere too, cant reach her atm)

They were so quick to call the lockdown back in January...golly :eek:
I'm well stocked in TP, but i have basically gone through my store of additional essential items I had been storing up throughout last year. Also one of the guys infected went to my favourite fruit market! good golly gosh. have to settle for the trash they have at aldi or coles :p

anyway back to the footy. I think if we have 2-3 more players actually play well against the pies we can win. Hopefully Berry will be back, and McCluggage looked to be better. Get Neale fire up after the last two weeks, and if Andrews can get some normalcy back (game-wise...) I will be confident. Then of course we only need to win the granny.... baby steps.

They were so quick to call the lockdown back in January...golly :eek:
I'm well stocked in TP, but i have basically gone through my store of additional essential items I had been storing up throughout last year. Also one of the guys infected went to my favourite fruit market! good golly gosh. have to settle for the trash they have at aldi or coles :p

anyway back to the footy. I think if we have 2-3 more players actually play well against the pies we can win. Hopefully Berry will be back, and McCluggage looked to be better. Get Neale fire up after the last two weeks, and if Andrews can get some normalcy back (game-wise...) I will be confident. Then of course we only need to win the granny.... baby steps.
We need to be able to bring guys down from Brisbane. I wonder what the protocols are.

Granted the AFL gave us exemptions for the Cats match as we were following special protocols, and *technically* the lockdown only starts at 5pm today...

I suspect we'll send down 5-7 or so players + a whole lotta baggage on a flight just before then?... Feel bad for the single guys.. who will pack them their pillow and favourite teddy :(

or who knows.. the whole thing is a mess. lets hope we have stamped down on it now so both our lives + the footy can return to normal quickly :)

I hope we can get some extra players down here before lockdown - seems highly likely that we will be stuck here until after round 4 at least. With us playing Freo in perth in Round 6, there is also an outside chance we won't play essendon at home.

I hope we can get some extra players down here before lockdown - seems highly likely that we will be stuck here until after round 4 at least. With us playing Freo in perth in Round 6, there is also an outside chance we won't play essendon at home.
If we can't get players down today and cleared to play we're in allsorts. Could struggle to put a full team out there depending on injuries.

Again, you could say the same for anyone else in the other states. Qlders, and specifically Lions supporters (because this entire conversation has been about us), are no more or no less likely to be bandwaggoners. Dont know why posters on here are having difficulty with this. Either you're stupid. Or more likely trolling.
No one is stupid or trolling. That first insult is completely uncalled for.

It’s been discussed for years that Queensland, particularly SEQ fans are bandwagon jumpers.

We’ve had a comparatively small population with so many sporting teams. Not just the four football codes, but basketball and many other sports.

There’s just not been the population to support all sports at a high level of fan participation.

So fans have always jumped from one winning team to another.

I remember back at uni in the 90’s, it was a assignment topic in one of my social science courses.

Melbourne teams have a very tribal sporting following due to the high number of football teams in one sport in one city, and higher population to support fan participation.

We don’t have that in Brisbane or greater Queensland.

If you get a chance have a look at cartoon in HUN today...

Shows a Lion at the airport asleep on a seat. It made me smile.:)
90f07a264f2f48d4b54c552dd77f4055

thanks MacMum! gave me a good laugh :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back