Preview Changes V Pies - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Technically no. But the thought police will be right on to it . I don't think it will be quite as simple as get them here and they're good to go.
What if Victoria decrees anyone coming from Brisbane needs to isolate for 14 days ? It's got to be a possibility.

That being the case you wouldn't want to bring anybody.

FromOldFitzroy

Senior List
Jan 29, 2011
Werribee
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If, and it’s only an if at this stage, the Club can’t bring down any players from Queensland, who have we got to replace any injuries, out of form players etc? Presumably we have just the 22 who played and the injury sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

almagoo

Senior List
Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have no problem with the changes most are considering including dropping Lester but people really do need to look at that last goal more closely. Have a look at Sharp and his positioning. He was in the gap where the ball ended up but got sucked into taking a step or two into the contest and the ball went to the spot he vacated. He needed to hold his position. Tough lesson for the youngster.

I agree that Sharp isn't ready yet, but personally felt the blame for that last goal laid firmly on how loosely checked Smith was coming into that stoppage. Ran into that with no one near him, and Clugga metres away with his hands on his hips. I thought that was a very, very poor defensive effort. No idea if it was a breakdown of team defensive structure, or an individual going missing at a key moment...but it wasn't a good look.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
WE ran up an enormous amount of debt during this time that would have destroyed a normal financial entity. We only exist because the AFL bank rolls us. Look at the extra money we get from the AFL compared to most other clubs. Youneverknow does have a point.

The important issue here is that we need to grow our brand so we do not lose 10 to 15 million during a poor run of form that lasts for many seasons. We could have gone out of existence if the AFK pulled the pin.

When I have been at the GABBA many of the people at the ground are AFL supporters not Brissie supporters. It would be interesting to know not only how many are not rusted on Brissie supporters but what % don't support us at all?

I am sort of planning to holiday in Brisbane during those last few home games. Hopefully the Covid situation has settled by then.

We are propped up by the AFL not bandwaggoners.

There are a lot of Lions supporters that go to the Gabba (as well as those who support other clubs) but the majority ate there for the Lions.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
ahh once again the club is smarter and quicker to action than the think-tank we have here :p Jumping on the 4:30pm flight to melbourne I thought... ha!

a good outcome, Fagan is good at setting a story, so lets hope they use this uncertainty to galvanize and come out firing. we need it!

27901168-7600-4B82-AA1C-8AD8CD344D80.jpeg

Dev Robbo in the back right there if we need a bigger body mid in this game.

Looks like we've flown down some extra players, they wont need to do a 14 day quarantine but they do need to return negative Covid tests.

If we have flown down 4 players for our extended stay in Melbourne, I would have selected Mathieson, Adams, Ballenden & Gardiner (injury pending) as part of that extended squad. We really need some maturity in our lineup for the next couple of matches against the Magpies & Bulldogs IMO.

If we have flown down 4 players for our extended stay in Melbourne, I would have selected Mathieson, Adams, Ballenden & Gardiner (injury pending) as part of that extended squad. We really need some maturity in our lineup for the next couple of matches against the Magpies & Bulldogs IMO.
Poor Ely misses out again.
I am not against your 4 but I do think we need another mid in there.
We have Prior there who could also go back I just think that gives us too many defenders, we need some run to get the ball forward more.
I get the experience thing but I would probanly go Matho, Ely, Gardiner and Archie if he is fit? If not Ballenden.

Poor Ely misses out again.
I am not against your 4 but I do think we need another mid in there.
We have Prior there who could also go back I just think that gives us too many defenders, we need some run to get the ball forward more.
I get the experience thing but I would probanly go Matho, Ely, Gardiner and Archie if he is fit? If not Ballenden.

Tbh, it was really a toss up between Mathieson & E.Smith for that elusive midfield spot, with Mathieson only getting the edge due to the inexperience of our younger midfield players in the squad. We could use another midfielder in that squad don't get me wrong although J.Berry will return back in that Best 22 and then you have Robertson, who is also a very good midfielder in the future in his own right, if worse comes to worse.

Regarding Ballenden in the squad, I feel like he has that versatile in his playing ability to be a 3rd tall in the F50 and pinch hit in the ruck with Fullarton & Daniher if needed to, compared to someone like A.Smith who to be complete frank, can't do much on the field besides jumping for the ball during a ruck contest :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back