Preview Changes V Pies - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rip Harry Sharps education.

Luckily for him, Fages and some of the other coaches know a bit about school teaching/education before joining the AFL ranks so none is lost there :cool:

No point skipping your school homework now Sharpy. Mr Fages and the other teachers will keep a close eye on you otherwise you will be in detention for a week and won't be able to play footy with the boys at lunch-time ;)

Last edited:
If we have flown down 4 players for our extended stay in Melbourne, I would have selected Mathieson, Adams, Ballenden & Gardiner (injury pending) as part of that extended squad. We really need some maturity in our lineup for the next couple of matches against the Magpies & Bulldogs IMO.

With the players who are now down there I'll revise my ins and outs, the 23 who played on Friday night + Matho, Adams, Ballenden, Dev, Darcy, J.Berry. Big O looked very sore, I'd be surprised if he got up for this game.

Outs- Jaxon Prior, Harry Sharp, Grant Birchall, Oscar McInerney, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins- Dev Robertson, Rhys Matheison, Darcy Gardiner, Jarrod Berry, Connor Ballenden.

I'd be open to Adams coming in instead of Ballenden, they could share the rucking duties between Fullarton, Daniher, Adams and Hippwood.

With the players who are now down there I'll revise my ins and outs, the 23 who played on Friday night + Matho, Adams, Ballenden, Dev, Darcy, J.Berry. Big O looked very sore, I'd be surprised if he got up for this game.

Outs- Jaxon Prior, Harry Sharp, Grant Birchall, Oscar McInerney, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins- Dev Robertson, Rhys Matheison, Darcy Gardiner, Jarrod Berry, Connor Ballenden.

I'd be open to Adams coming in instead of Ballenden, they could share the rucking duties between Fullarton, Daniher, Adams and Hippwood.

Reckon if Oscar was unlikely they would've had Smith on the plane?

Reckon if Oscar was unlikely they would've had Smith on the plane?

Apparently Archie Smith (I think that's the Smith your talking about there and not Brock, Ely or Henry Smith ;)) has an Achilles & Shoulder injury and is completing his rehabilitation training away from the club having been granted leave for family reasons.

Last edited:
Apparently Archie Smith (I think that's the Smith your talking about there) has an Achilles injury and is completing his rehabilitation training away from the club having been granted leave for family reasons.

Achilles never sounds short term does it.

Achilles never sounds short term does it.

Yeah true, sounds like he will be out for a while ngl with his injury, personal matters and the current situation with the club playing away for a extended period of time as well.

Off topic I know but I really hope the club selects a ready-made ruckman who can play forward as well from the state leagues, this mid-season draft with the spot available from Rayner's injury as I feel we are missing Martin quite a lot this season with his ruck work.

Maybe we could re-select Skinner at the mid-season draft for 6-12 months to return to the club if he performs well in the SANFL with the Panthers and play that back-up tall forward/ruckman role again.

Last edited:
This season honestly could not have started any worse could it. What next, Rayner, poor effort against swans and getting dead set robbed on Friday. Biggest home and away game being moved and death ride team flying. This sounds really negative but I happy to fast fwd to start of next season.

This season honestly could not have started any worse could it. What next, Rayner, poor effort against swans and getting dead set robbed on Friday. Biggest home and away game being moved and death ride team flying. This sounds really negative but I happy to fast fwd to start of next season.
If it comes with a top 3 draft pick, I’d hit the fast fwd button for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are stuck in Melb for the rnd4 game as well it may have been prudent to send Answerth down also. Although he is currently suspended for two weeks, if he is selected for rnd4 in the firsts his suspension is considered complete and can play. If not selected the 2 week suspension reverts to the first two weeks of the new second tier comp and then wouldn't be available till rnd6 of the afl. Sounds bizzare I know but that's how it works. I guess he could be sent down next week but who knows how long lock downs, border closures will last.

The club is flying by the seat of its pants atm. No one has any idea how serious this breakout in Qld might be but you've got a few reactionary Premiers who revel in the strong person image so anything is possible if it's more than a 3 day wonder.

I agree with others ,this season couldn't have started off much worse luck wise and sometimes it's one thing after the other. We've got it stacked against us if Oscar doesn't come up ,as expected .I still rate us a reasonable chance against the Pies if we add some strength to the team.

If we are stuck in Melb for the rnd4 game as well it may have been prudent to send Answerth down also. Although he is currently suspended for two weeks, if he is selected for rnd4 in the firsts his suspension is considered complete and can play. If not selected the 2 week suspension reverts to the first two weeks of the new second tier comp and then wouldn't be available till rnd6 of the afl. Sounds bizzare I know but that's how it works. I guess he could be sent down next week but who knows how long lock downs, border closures will last.
I certainly hope they organising a 5 star resort and flying in everyone’s family!

I expect North, Essendon and possibly GWS to be in the bottom 5.

If our Covid enforced relocation extends until round 7 or 9 and our injury list continues to grow, I can see our season going pear shaped.

And if our Covid enforced relocation extends beyond round 9 and our injury list continues to grow beyond the size you've got in mind with your post then I can see our season going even more pear shaped!!!!!

Is there anything more pear shaped than a pear though?

I've watched the replay and taken into account our travellers and come up with my team for this week.

IN: ADAMS, BALLENDEN, JBERRY/ROBERTSON if JBerry unavailable
OUT: PRIOR, LESTER, MCINERNEY

B: RICH - ANDREWS - PAYNE
HB: STARCEVICH - ADAMS - BIRCHALL
C: MCCLUGGAGE - ZORKO - ROBINSON
HF: BAILEY - HIPWOOD - MCCARTHY
FF: AH CHEE - DANIHER - CAMERON
FOL: LYONS - BALLENDEN - NEALE
I/C: BERRY - FULLARTON - COLEMAN - ROBERTSON
EMERGENCY: SHARP

Lester is not in form and turned the ball over too much and didn't redeem himself in any other great way. Prior was slow to react and out of position many times, had his own turnovers and didn't impact the contest in the air on the wing when he needed to. McInerney was good but his ankle is out of whack and we need to drop him on the basis of that alone imo, his ankle is letting us down massively at the moment and is a huge liability.

Adams for Lester. Ballenden has to come in so that we can leave Joe deep and Eric to roam, and Fullarton cannot be prime ruck but is also adding a lot of clean handball through our midfield as well as creating a contest and providing pressure at the level required. Berry comes in automatically if fit and may even take Ah Chee's spot if we think that Sharp will give us more this week which he could well do against the Pies. Gardiner surely doesnt play this week but comes in for Coleman if available, otherwise I am rotating Coleman with Starcevich through HB to provide some pressure yes but get us starting some chains when he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back