Preview Changes v pies, Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that bringing in Trengove would be a big call - but I'd rather take that risk than consign ourselves to conceding the contest time after time again.
The question is will it sacrifice our run?

If not, we drop Schache which would be a hard call and rest Trengove/English forward which seemed to be the preferred option in JLT 1 until we saw it wasn't working.

Hoping Bont comes up for next week

Corked calf looked pretty bad with only a 5 day break

Out - Richards Duryea

In - Johannesen B.Williams

I'm losing patience with Hunter's bad decisions and turning it over by foot - he absolutely kills us and I don't care that he's an elite runner and accumulator of stats. What is more important is that we don't turn the bloody thing over and making it hard for teammates up the ground.

That why Boyd is so important. I don't think Trengove is the solution to our ruck problems.
I agree and would definitely have suggested Boyd if he was match ready but he isn’t. Hence Trengove.

There’s a lot of people that want Dickson and Gowers dropped, but the goals of got to come from somewhere and the positions they play it’s hard to be consistent. Assuming they both play every game this year Gowers is on track to kick 44 goals and Dickson 29, who wouldn’t take those numbers at the start of the year? The biggest issue is still the delivery inside 50, Daniel’s the only player who lowers his eyes the midfield seem to refuse to kick the ball into space.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There’s a lot of people that want Dickson and Gowers dropped, but the goals of got to come from somewhere and the positions they play it’s hard to be consistent. Assuming they both play every game this year Gowers is on track to kick 44 goals and Dickson 29, who wouldn’t take those numbers at the start of the year? The biggest issue is still the delivery inside 50, Daniel’s the only player who lowers his eyes the midfield seem to refuse to kick the ball into space.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe not so much this weekend, but usually I've found Macrae to be quite reliable with inside 50 entries. Still sometimes just bombs it long and hopes for the best, but there has also been a number of sequences this year that involved Libba extracting, Macrae carrying and stabbing it to a leading Gowers. Get that sequence happening consistently and we might actually score (providing Gowers actually kicked straight)

McLean is wasted up forward
He has elite midfield qualities and is as hard and clean as anyone we have.

When our midfield is failing to live up to expectations - as it did against GC - you can’t have him sitting up forward.

Lloyd’s performance was terrible - he must be dropped and lipinski is natural replacement.

A fit JJ can replace anyone of Durea or Richards.

5 day break says Dickson out for Lipi or Fergus. Russian roulette that Dickos hammies pop if he plays.

If Trengrove was fit he plays for English - again five day break for a young colt. Dont want to kill him (like we did last yr).

Neither Dickson or English's form demands selection either.

Smith played ok but tempted to rest him as well.

Wood needs to lift. Looking fwd to Young on Cox..

First deep midfield as good or better than ours that we face. Could well expose us at both ends.

Bont a ? as well.

When our midfield is failing to live up to expectations - as it did against GC - you can’t have him sitting up forward.

Lloyd’s performance was terrible - he must be dropped and lipinski is natural replacement.

Who does he replace in the midfield? Wallis is the only one that can really come out of the rotation. Libba and Macrae are both easily our two best mids this year so they're locked in. Hunter takes a wing so he wouldn't come out. Bont already split between midfield and forward.

Our midfield isn't really failing to be honest. We are getting slaughtered in hit outs, yet still easily winning clearances and inside 50s. The delivery into the 50 this week was atrocious, but excellent in the first two rounds. I don't really see a spot for McLean unless Wallis comes out (which I 100% want to happen, he's so much better up forward). The other problem is that Dunkley needs to come out of the forward line and start playing in his best spot; as a big-bodied mid. I thought McLean has been pretty good up forward this year. Sees far less of the ball, but is far more composed and creative than the majority of our other forwards.

I guess this is the problem with drafting a team of midfielders. We have at least 10 players that could be full time mids, and have to find a place for them. How do you reasonably fit Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Wallis, Daniel, Hunter, Richards, McLean, Dunkley, Lloyd and Smith all into the same side without someone being out of position? Daniel can go half-back, Richards and Hunter on the wings, Lloyd on HFF, but then you're left with Wallis, Dunkley, McLean and Smith fighting for a midfield spot. We are just really unbalanced, having very few natural forwards on our list

English does need a break
Dickson is finished
We are not dropping our Captain who played quite well round one
We are already slow dropping Richards would be horrible but he is close

Out -
English needs a rest and 5 day break
Dicko - plays only to cover injuries now
Gowers- was putrid

Lucky -
Lloyd
Scache
Wallis
Dunkley
Richards
Wood
McLean

In-
Trengove/Sweet
Lipinski
Greene or Williams

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm surprised people are suggesting Gowers out when he was our leading goalkicker in 2018 and is also our leading goalkicker after three rounds in 2019.

I know he wasn't great with his decision making on Sunday but he's always physical and competitive, has a Crameri-like physique (unlike say Greene), has reasonable pace and can take a contested mark (a rare thing i50 if you leave out Naughton). Who is going to kick the goals if we drop our most prolific goalkicker over the last 25 matches?

English does need a break
Dickson is finished
We are not dropping our Captain who played quite well round one
We are already slow dropping Richards would be horrible but he is close

Out -
English needs a rest and 5 day break
Dicko - plays only to cover injuries now
Gowers- was putrid

Lucky -
Lloyd
Scache
Wallis
Dunkley
Richards
Wood
McLean

In-
Trengove/Sweet
Lipinski
Greene or Williams
JJ is looking very likely to play, so dropping Richards for JJ looks possible, although I'd rather shift Richards back onto the flank and bring in JJ for more speed.

Dickson for Lipinski seems logical from here. The rest I have no idea what they'll do. Lloyd played easily his worst game for us yet, but I'd trust him to rebound this week (plus can't afford to lose too much leadership in one hit). Duryea I'd add to the lucky list as he really didn't impress me this week, although there were easily a long list of players worse than him, so clearly he stays in.

I'm not about swinging the axe after one poor performance. We went down by 5 points against a poor team but lets not forget the boys got it done against Sydney and Hawthorn despite going in underdogs.

Out: Richards
In: Johannisen

Just about the only sane post here I've read.. Calm the fk down everyone - we lost by 5 points in a tight contest. So many trigger happy list managers here..!
Dickson is the last forward that should be dropped imo - he was the only one giving it a crack all day, leading and presenting well. Shaq was far quieter.
We lost because we gave up such a massive lead in the first quarter - that's on everyone.

JJ back in for Richards and Lloyd back to the forward line. Can't understand him being in the backline, unless Bevo is trying to up his defensive pressure when swung back forward.

I understand that McLean is a pretty good midfielder, but I completely understand the move. We have a good enough midfield and the forward line is where we have issues. McLean was one of the few players on our list drafted as a natural forward, and you have to hope that he can eventually have a Robbie Gray like impact down there.

The dropping Gowers comments are comical. He along with about 20 other blokes were horrible yesterday. But he still managed to hit the scoreboard 3 times. We aren’t Collingwood a West Coast or a Richmond who have the luxury of dropping one of our better forwards after a bad game. We literally have very few avenues to goals.

I have no idea where Bevo plays Naughton this week. If he’s not up forward our forward line has zero presence. If he’s not played down back I fear Mason Cox will have another game like he did vs Richmond.

Wood to take DeGoey and the key to shutting out Cox is to make sure that their mids are putting it on top of his head (not out in front) and body contact at all times. Playing a zone type defence could spell trouble if he’s allowed to run and jump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back