Preview Changes v pies, Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

People seriously talking about giving guys a rest? Its round bloody 4 ffs.
If they need a rest now id be severely questioning the fitness staff.

Dickson is a special case due to his age. I was at the game on Sunday and he looked stiff and sore and did not play well, in contrast to his magnificent game the week before against Hawthorn. 5 day break to Collingwood, could be a few with "general soreness."

So many lines here...
I repeat, Naughton must be positioned on Cox at the coach's pleasure. Hopefully it will last the entire match!

My 22 for this week.

Out: Lloyd, Dureya, Young
In: JJ, Sweet, Lipinski

Wood - Naughton - Crozier
Daniel - Cordy - Johanisson
MacRae - Dunkley - McLean
Lipinski - English - Suckling
Gowers - Schache - Dickson
Sweet - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Wallis, Smith, Hunter,

I have no idea what if any player changes will happen or should happen. JJ if fit, would be great addition to a side which is one paced. Lipinski seems to have put up his hand now for a few weeks.

The change we really need is in attitude - our attitude has been pretty ordinary all year - even with those 2 wins. We slept through at least a quarter or two in each of the games. It is unacceptable. There is no consistent passion and desire - and lifting for the last 7 minutes against GC after sleeping thru the rest of the game was just mind boggling.

Out mid-field should have completely pole-axed the Suns. If Martin and Miller had been made to physically earn their possessions - we win that game in a cake walk. As it is we allowed them to play like they were Dangerfield and Selwood.

I accept you can't kick every shot at goal thru the big sticks. However, players are just not going thru their routines with the necessary care when shooting for goal. They are not kicking thru the ball, some are trying to steer it, others are poking at it. It is soul destroying.

I realised on Sunday, I can accept losing after the team gives its all. I really become disgusted when the effort is so lacklustre and so little more was required to win it. it is unacceptable. We haven't seen that lack of passion for a few years.

Dickson had a press conference today about his 100th game, spoke about his kid flying down from QLD on Friday to run through the banner with him. Given this, he'll surely be playing.
DDDDDIIIIIIIICCCCCCCKKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schache's effort against GC was insipid in contrast to his very good game against the Hawks. His challenge this year is to be more consistent and attack the ball more often in the air. Hopefully, he will do better on the G with more space to lead into.

The delivery had a lot to do with it

I repeat, Naughton must be positioned on Cox at the coach's pleasure. Hopefully it will last the entire match!

My 22 for this week.

Out: Lloyd, Dureya, Young
In: JJ, Sweet, Lipinski

Wood - Naughton - Crozier
Daniel - Cordy - Johanisson
MacRae - Dunkley - McLean
Lipinski - English - Suckling
Gowers - Schache - Dickson
Sweet - Bontempelli - Liberatore
Wallis, Smith, Hunter,
Naughton at a forward is far more important to our structure than he is playing on Cox. Moving him back drastically effects Gowers and Schache. And the defender they will be matched up on. He’s proved more in his 3 games this year in his first season as a forward than any key forward has shown us since Grant was drafted. He’s now a forward

Just kick the ball to whoever's roughead is matched up against on a lead. Easy uncontested marks
It's a fair point - I love Roughy but Naughton is too quick and Schache plays high up the ground. As long as we can split their tall defenders we should have a working forwardline.

As for Cox - Zaine is the man. There's no point in sacrificing our forward structure just so a 25cm mismatch becomes a 21cm mismatch. The only way to stop Cox is with a player than keeps some touch on him to stop his jump at the ball and Zaine has the bastard gene in spades.
We just have to slow their F50 entries down otherwise De Goay and Stephenson will kill us on the lead and Cox will be able to jump at the ball without much traffic in the way.

Dickson will be fine. I lost count last year of posts wanting players to be “rested” and none ever were 🤔

And how did that go? Wood and Dickson in and out with recurrent injuries while three players went out for long periods with bone stress which are essentally overloading injuries.

If the club isnt managing players, they should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dickson is a special case due to his age. I was at the game on Sunday and he looked stiff and sore and did not play well, in contrast to his magnificent game the week before against Hawthorn. 5 day break to Collingwood, could be a few with "general soreness."
He's 31 and didn't start his AFL career until he was 24

You can’t stop Cox if he gets a run at it , just have to accept that and move on. Either you defend the space in front of him or get a lowish pass to defend. If he gets a run and leap & takes the ball at height no player in the league has much hope.

Young out for me even though he hasn’t done much wrong. No obvious match up and I’d like another small in the backline.

His replacement: JJ! Really excited to see how damaging our backline is with JJ, Caleb and Suckling all playing, could really scare the pies if they can’t mark the ball inside 50.

Richards my second out. Hasn’t shown enough the last three weeks. I think he can really make that offensive wing position his own but he needs time to perfect the role in the VFL

His replacement: Bailey Williams. Would love to see Bailey start up the ground as a rotating mid, wingman and forward. He’s been training with the midfield group all preseason and needs an opportunity to show his wares in that role. I thought he was great when swapped to that role in the north at Geelong games last year before his injury. Was pretty solid returning in round 23 against the tigers as well. Can also switch back as that interceptor if needed. Doesn’t bring the raw pace that Richards does in his role but is more explosive and agile.

Have a good feeling about this game for some reason. We always lift when we’re the underdogs, I think the players revel in it mentally. Go dogs!

Must admit, I've not seen a Collingwood game this year. Has Rough been playing back? If so that's a massive opportunity for us.

JJ for Richards, takes his spot on the wing. Everyone would prefer him at half back but without Naughton our defenders need to be able to constantly support one another which isn't a strong suit for Johannisen. Would also like Trengove for English as I'm a little bit worried we're overworking him, he's not getting a lot of relief from Schache, but sounds like we'll stick with the stick for now. Last chance for Lloyd before Lipinski takes his spot.

Must admit, I've not seen a Collingwood game this year. Has Rough been playing back? If so that's a massive opportunity for us.

Yes, he's been solid but not spectacular. Fletcher Roberts like. Dishes it off to another Pie at most opportunites. Gets beaten on the lead and does that little head shake we know and love. I think we'll be targeting him (not roughing him up, pressuring him.)

Completely understand why we moved Richards up the ground and was all for it but I think its time to send him back. He just finds it so much easier behind the ball and his defense is usually great too. In time when hes a more consistent player (because lets be honest as good as he was last year he wasnt overly consistent) we can reassess and maybe look to move him higher again.

Bring in Bailey Williams to play the high hff/wing role, he played it bloody brilliantly late last year in a couple of games. I want him in this side and I want him in a creative role, hes wasted playing tall. Let the guys like Dureya, Wood and Crozier do that because they offer much much less than Williams the other way. Play him into form on the forward flank IMO.

Id probably drop Young. I'm a big fan of his future and see a spot for him even this year. Ive liked his first two games for the most part, but this week I dont have a spot for him.

JJ obviously in too, not sure who for though. If someones sore after the short break. If not probably Lloyd. I liked his time forward but if were not going to play him there hes not best 22. Hes been a good pick up and hes very close but hes not a lock for the 22 by any means. Id say we can only play one of Lloyd and Dicko for balance and Dicko has him covered while fit.

So Young for Williams, Red to HB and Williams to HF. JJ for Lloyd and id just let JJ roam a bit. A bit of time off HB, a bit of time higher up the field and maybe even some stints forward.

Crozier Cordy Dureya
Jj Wood Daniel
Hunter Wallis Macrae
English Bont Libba
McLean Schach Williams
Dickson Naughty Gowers

Red Suckers Smith and Dunkley/Lloyd

Overall that team is a hell of a lot quicker and a lot more suited to our strengths IMO. The backlines undersized but I dont care, its not the end of the world if a tall forward kicks a couple, were better like this. Just need our midfield to apply enough pressure so we can get the ball to ground back there. With Red and JJ back theyre not tall but they can get back quick to cover the out the back goal thats been killing us and at least apply some pressure there.

Calls to drop Gowers are just *ing ridiculous. Were finally getting somewhat of a forward structure between him, Schach and Naughty just let them gel. Theyve played less than 80 games combined no s**t theyre going to have off days.

Dunkleys on thin ice. I love his strengths as a player but geez his disposal is an absolute liability. Im struggling to see a place for him at the moment. Either him or Lloyd out but against the Pies we really need to capitalize on the inside so Dunks gets another chance for mine. Just needs to throw his size around and stop them getting their hands on the ball on the inside. Thats our ticket to winning this game.

Honestly I think we match up well, if were on itll be a cracker.

Last edited:
Cordy played on De Goey last year and did well. I'd match Young with Miachek and bring in Trengove to play on Cox.

De Goey, Elliott, Thomas and Sidebottom are all very dangerous forwards as they are great marks and very good kicks. Big test for our defenders this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back