there is no other team
Will we go man-on-man with Cox?
I think we should go man on man on man.
1555029622647.png

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like the change. Cordy to Cox and Wood to Mihocek. Slightly undersized but Pies have a lot of dangerous smalls which requires a smaller defence.

Matchups for me:
Cordy > Cox
Wood > Mihocek
Crozier > De Goey
Duryea > Elliot
Daniel/Suckling/JJ > Thomas/Varcoe/Stephenson/Resting Mid
I'd probably just switch Wood and Crozier around. We need to lock down on De Goey more so than Mihocek and Crozier has been the much better rebounder / inceptor of the two recently

Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I like the change. Cordy to Cox and Wood to Mihocek. Slightly undersized but Pies have a lot of dangerous smalls which requires a smaller defence.

Matchups for me:
Cordy > Cox
Wood > Mihocek
Crozier > De Goey
Duryea > Elliot
Daniel/Suckling/JJ > Thomas/Varcoe/Stephenson/Resting Mid

I reckon this is where we lose the game. While I think Cox and DeGoey are highly overrated, their whole fwd line can be dangerous and will expose us a bit.

Elliot could make Duryea look pretty silly.

May 22, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As someone mentioned previously (I think in this thread) this will be the first time this year our midfield will be matched for quality. The Pies bat really deep, so this will be a huge test. We won't be able to stop Grundy winning the hitouts, but we are elite at sharking taps.

I'm not that worried about their forward line, as if we can win the midfield battle, they won't matter, or we will force bad entries. JJ back as huge, although I hope he plays forward to give us a better kick inside 50, which would allow Richards to play his natural rebounding game.

I really hope we target whoever Roughy is on. He isn't quick, and we should be trying to engineer a matchup on Naughton as much as we can.

Once again, I'll be teaching during the game and will only be able to listen to the first quarter. Good luck from Shenyang China, Doggies!

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am smelling a late out with Trengove in not sure of the out but I do think we go that small against the pies but I have been wrong before.

philmb

Cancelled
May 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m more confident of tonight than I was of last week. We get ahead of ourselves when we start favourites.

Tallsies

Debutant
Apr 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What does that say about a club when they can't win when they're favourites. Same old backs to the wall bullshit that's been the case for 100 years. Not that it will matter tonight, 10 goal belting.

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What does that say about a club when they can't win when they're favourites. Same old backs to the wall bullshit that's been the case for 100 years. Not that it will matter tonight, 10 goal belting.

it could be the classic story of "young team getting over excited" and then the next week fail to back it up.

ie. beat swans in 2015 and lose to saints next game

Small sample size, but we are 3-0 in second quarters this year, conceding only 18 points and having a second quarter percentage of 255.

Pies have been starting games off very well. They have won their last five first quarters convincingly. We are 1-2 in first quarters. I feel that if we're with them at quarter time, we're in with a real shot. We have outscored Collingwood five goals to one in first quarters in our last two matches against them. How sweet it would be if that was to continue tonight.

We rank 17th in the league for third quarters. We do a lot better in 4th quarters, having a 2-1 record. We have the best fourth quarter percentage of any team with a 2-1 fourth quarter record.

We have won six quarters and lost six. Perhaps more importantly, we have won four halves and lost only two halves.
Pies have won six quarters and lost five. They have won three halves and lost three.

Granted, Collingwood's opposition has been better than ours (significantly), but we're still in this one up to our eyeballs.

Back