Fixture Changes v Plastics Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching the VFL before our game there will not be many if any changes.

Mc Neil and A Jones being suggested to be dropped. Obviously we missed the at least 9 scoring opportunities generated directly from their pressure on the Hawks exiting their defence

Buku is miles off senior selection and is not a step up from either Keith or TOB and Gards is also a bit away.

Cleary could come in for Durea to give him a break but not sure this is the week for this.

The only likely change bar injury or illness would be Libba if fit for Mc lean and change up the 23rd

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Libba in to 22 for McNeil. McNeil to sub, or perhaps McLean. As mentioned last week I am happy to see us rotate through players for that sub role, so as to give everyone a bit of exposure, and also ensure players get regular minutes. So in saying that wouldn't mind Cleary as sub or another VFL player.

This is now our best 22, barring perhaps Bruce for O'Brien (which is very marginal anyway) - so no excuses. Only other option is due to form Lobb may have been surpassed by Darcy. Maybe a couple more weeks in the twos for young Sam but I don't think its too far away from happening (was my fear when recruiting Lobb). Was happy to see Darcy play bulk minutes in the ruck in the VFL yesterday.

FB Duryea, L Jones, O'Brien
HB Richards, Keath, Dale
C Williams, Bontempelli, Baker
HF Macrae, Naughton, Daniel
FF Weightman, Lobb, A Jones
FOL English, Liberatore, Treloar
INT Scott, Ugle-Hagan, Johannisen, B Smith

SUB McNeil/McLean

McLean must play VFL next week. He isn't going to replace anyone in the starting 22 as he's only going to be able to play as an inside midfielder and with Libba to come back I just can't see where he fits unless Treloar or Macrae miss.

I wouldn't make any unforced changes, McNeil to sub, Libba in.

In: Libba (if fit)

Out: Toby and Arty Jones

Weightman had a shocker but has runs on the board.

Suspect most would drop McNeil.

Or perhaps drop McNeil back to sub

Do you have a concussion or something?

It's probably either Jones or McNeil really

No way either of them should be dropped, even being made sub would be harsh. Other than Toby, if anyone is dropped, it should be Scott as he has been pretty quiet and Baker/Williams have the wing spots. Scott would just be pretty pointless as a sub IMO so he’s either dropped or named

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way either of them should be dropped, even being made sub would be harsh. Other than Toby, if anyone is dropped, it should be Scott as he has been pretty quiet and Baker/Williams have the wing spots. Scott would just be pretty pointless as a sub IMO so he’s either dropped or named
I wouldn't drop either of them.

I'm posting based on what the selection committee is probably thinking

I agree with the concerns with how Keath is going. But don't think anyone can really replace at present.

Obrien for Cleary just because I want to see what he can do.

Do people really understand Jones’s role? He’s not there to kick 4, but chase, harass, tackle, smother etc., in what before his arrival was a forward line devoid of this essential ingredient. Team defense starts in the forward 50 and it’s no coincidence this aspect of our gameplan has improved since his selection.

No way he gets dropped after what was his best performance and any suggestion otherwise means you don’t understand modern football.

Out: McNeill
In: Libba

Toby into S22 and Scott to sub
Depending on match-ups would love to see Cleary back in, but can't see Obrien getting the flick just yet.

Really not sure what some here saw yesterday, TOB played a very solid game and Doc is the only one down back that may come out but even then his smarts got us out of a few issuesy.

Toss of the coin for me between McNeil/Scott to sub but probably lean slightly more towards McNeil and bring in Libba.

VFL yesterday was very worrying for guys to come in as none of them were even remotely pushing for selection

Really not sure what some here saw yesterday, TOB played a very solid game and Doc is the only one down back that may come out but even then his smarts got us out of a few issuesy.

Toss of the coin for me between McNeil/Scott to sub but probably lean slightly more towards McNeil and bring in Libba.

VFL yesterday was very worrying for guys to come in as none of them were even remotely pushing for selection
I thought that Doc was solid. No way he is considered for VFL this week in my view. Either McNeil, or more likely Scott, is sub and Toby makes way for Libba. I would not make other changes.

I thought that Doc was solid. No way he is considered for VFL this week in my view. Either McNeil, or more likely Scott, is sub and Toby makes way for Libba. I would not make other changes.
Docs one of my absolute favourites over the past few years but I’m not sure he’s got long left unfortunately, still dependable by foot but just a bit slow and goes to ground too easy these days.

We’ve got Cleary playing really good footy in the twos, he looks ready to go - I’d be interested in making the switch, but probably won’t happen after a win

Out: McLean

Scott as sub. He's been fine, but his primary role is being filled by Williams and Baker. Better player than McNeil/Jones but not as good a pressure player, which is what we need right now.

If we had literally any other key defender in form I would be booting Keath in a heartbeat on current form. Watching live yesterday it was hard not to leave with the sense that he is 110% cooked.

He played a really good second half so I wouldn't do it this week, but I can't help but feel that at some stage Baz would benefit from a few weeks at VFL level. He just doesn't look like he's enjoying himself out there. The intensity is spotty at best and he's lost all confidence to take the game on. Looks a shell of what we know he's capable of atm.

Out: McLean

Scott as sub. He's been fine, but his primary role is being filled by Williams and Baker. Better player than McNeil/Jones but not as good a pressure player, which is what we need right now.

If we had literally any other key defender in form I would be booting Keath in a heartbeat on current form. Watching live yesterday it was hard not to leave with the sense that he is 110% cooked.

He played a really good second half so I wouldn't do it this week, but I can't help but feel that at some stage Baz would benefit from a few weeks at VFL level. He just doesn't look like he's enjoying himself out there. The intensity is spotty at best and he's lost all confidence to take the game on. Looks a shell of what we know he's capable of atm.
I thought Baz was fine first game back. He'll probably be 5-10% better next week too.

Whoever makes way for Libba will be unlucky. I lean toward it being Scott (as sub) too, with McLean to the VFL. However the zip and pressure of McNeil, Arty and Scott has been very important in our improved form, even if it hasn't been all that eyecatching. We need to be careful not to alter the chemistry of that too much.

Or maybe we'll have one of those all-too-frequent Thursday surprise injuries to solve the problem.

Do people really understand Jones’s role? He’s not there to kick 4, but chase, harass, tackle, smother etc., in what before his arrival was a forward line devoid of this essential ingredient. Team defense starts in the forward 50 and it’s no coincidence this aspect of our gameplan has improved since his selection.

No way he gets dropped after what was his best performance and any suggestion otherwise means you don’t understand modern football.
He does so much running off the ball to slow oppression exits from the D50.
I'd keep him in based off all the pressure running I saw last night.

Scott or McNeill will probably make way for Libba, either then named as the sub.
Personally I'd be tempted to drop Duryea instead as he's 'just going' but this week he probably gets first crack at Satan Greene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back