Fixture Changes v Plastics Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d give Richards the job on Greene for the full game, agree with the thoughts above that you can’t just rely on the ‘system’ on some forwards and Greenes one of those guys, if he’s held they’re are 100% not kicking a winning score - sometimes you have to compromise to not let oppositions match winners do their thing (as we know blooooody too well)

Just like against Geelong in a couple of weeks Gardner needs to come in and glue himself to Cameron, we’re just not winning if we think we can let him do what he wants and the ‘system’ will cover him, nah he’ll kick 10 and we’ll lose by 60. Not like last year when our ‘system taking care of itself’ resulted in our big bulky FB chasing Cameron up the field & our athletic 2nd tall wrestling with Hawkins one out, hard to watch at times.

Red is the only one who could go with Greene both on the ground and aerially, I think he’d relish the task - plus we’re not as reliant on his run with JJ/Dale back there (can roll CD through too if really needed) and not as reliant on his intercepting with TOB going alright & Jones, so it’s a good time to try it
I want Richards to get first crack at Cameron. I think you’re better off giving up some height for the ability to go with him up the ground and force some degree of accountability the other way.

I have no idea who goes to Charlie Curnow in a couple of weeks.

This game does make me nervous. On paper we should win. But it strikes me as one of those games where we will find a way to lose. Plus GWS still has some talent on the list, and a midfield more than capable of keeping with us if they all rock up.

The next three weeks are real season defining 50/50 type games. Have as much chance coming out of it 0-3, as we could 3-0. Just hoping we can get some four quarter consistency going and a few wins before running into the Cats.

This game does make me nervous. On paper we should win. But it strikes me as one of those games where we will find a way to lose. Plus GWS still has some talent on the list, and a midfield more than capable of keeping with us if they all rock up.

The next three weeks are real season defining 50/50 type games. Have as much chance coming out of it 0-3, as we could 3-0. Just hoping we can get some four quarter consistency going and a few wins before running into the Cats.

If you are nervous about this and the Carlton game, it’s because you think we are no good or our coaching is suspect.

I think he was down for a bit looking pretty sore holding his ankle after a contest, must still be affecting him a little
I had the same surgery and there is no way (talent and skill aside) I would've been ready to lace up a footy boot and run several km every few days a week or so afterwards. My bloody ankle still swells up 13 years later! Reckon he will be alright

Will be a tough game, GWS has been competitive in every single outing, even the Eagles loss isn't that bad when you consider they had just played in horrible conditions in round 1. I feel our midfield and forward line have a distinct advantage, particularly big Timmy.

Early forecast from BoM.
Bring your raincoat, thermals, scarf and beanie if you're heading up! Overnight minimum will be close to zero and it may get down to 5-6 degrees by the end of the game.
Possible rain again but at least they are not forecasting strong winds (like today). That would ruin it as a spectacle.

1683076919760.png
Bookies have us as $1.54 favourites but I think GWS are a huge chance given how inconsistent we are. Our last couple of games have been solid. Can we string three together? Big test for Bevo and the boys.

Actually our last 5 games have been pretty good looking at the form guide. We were in front in the loss to Port right up until the last 10 minutes IIRC. Time to demonstrate this week that we have the required consistency over the longer journey.

1683077403910.png

Yep GWS have high draft pick players up the whazoo. No doubt some talent there and watching them a couple of weeks ago I reckon a few of those younger players have come on.

By the way not sure who it is, but one of them is a grandson of a 1954 premiership player.

Yep GWS have high draft pick players up the whazoo. No doubt some talent there and watching them a couple of weeks ago I reckon a few of those younger players have come on.

By the way not sure who it is, but one of them is a grandson of a 1954 premiership player.
Xavier O'Halloran, grandson of Ron McCarthy

Early forecast from BoM.
Bring your raincoat, thermals, scarf and beanie if you're heading up! Overnight minimum will be close to zero and it may get down to 5-6 degrees by the end of the game.
Possible rain again but at least they are not forecasting strong winds (like today). That would ruin it as a spectacle.

View attachment 1676802
Bookies have us as $1.54 favourites but I think GWS are a huge chance given how inconsistent we are. Our last couple of games have been solid. Can we string three together? Big test for Bevo and the boys.

Actually our last 5 games have been pretty good looking at the form guide. We were in front in the loss to Port right up until the last 10 minutes IIRC. Time to demonstrate this week that we have the required consistency over the longer journey.

View attachment 1676805
There's no doubt our form has improved considerably from rounds 1-2.

A glass half full approach here:

• We have won four of our past five matches.

• The highest score we have conceded in those five matches is 84. This is despite not being able to field our preferred defensive mix (Injuries at different stages to Keath and Bruce, as well as not yet seeing Gardner who is likely to gain form and confidence within the coming weeks).

• Although we only beat Hawthorn by 29 pts (and trailing for large portions of the match), we lifted in the second half when it counted. Hawks have also been competitive of late, and were stiff to lose their previous two matches. Even on Easter Monday, they led Geelong at HT.

• Of our three losses, they have been against teams positioned 2nd, 3rd and 5th on the ladder. We were in a strong position to upset Port on the road but we conceded the final four goals. We also led Melbourne in the second quarter and we missed an opportunity to take the lead against the Saints in the third qtr when Naughton missed a sitter.

Early forecast from BoM.

View attachment 1676802

Airport parking, flights, accom and footy ticket - $320

Freezing my nuts off - Priceless 🥶

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Airport parking, flights, accom and footy ticket - $320

Freezing my nuts off - Priceless 🥶
Not too bad ... I tried to do that for our Darwin game against GC ... $2500 for flights and overnight accommodation ... not including football tickets, food etc for me, my 7 year old and 2 year old

Why leave Treloar out of this?

Interesting question - how many from Treloars tenure are even still on the giants? There would be a handful from Lobbs time. You wouldn’t expect that much biff from a guy two times removed but it was still recent enough to where he has a few old teammates that might have a crack.

Interesting question - how many from Treloars tenure are even still on the giants? There would be a handful from Lobbs time. You wouldn’t expect that much biff from a guy two times removed but it was still recent enough to where he has a few old teammates that might have a crack.
I don't expect any biff towards Lobb, let alone Treloar. That was years ago.

They're more likely to 'try' rough up Bont, which won't work.

Treloar’s Ex Teammates at GWS that are still at the club.
Josh Kelly
Stephen Coniglio
Toby Greene
Nick Haynes
Lachie Whitfield
Callan Ward
Adam Kennedy
Phil Davies

Treloar’s Ex Teammates at GWS that are still at the club.
Josh Kelly
Stephen Coniglio
Toby Greene
Nick Haynes
Lachie Whitfield
Callan Ward
Adam Kennedy
Phil Davies
Yep …. Well researched. The top 6 in last list will be playing but there’s no animosity toward Treloar and Lobb.

Expecting a ripper game to be honest

Pretty confident about this one. For those attending, any meet up venues where a beverage can be consumed amongst like minded bulldog loving gentlemen?

Pretty confident about this one. For those attending, any meet up venues where a beverage can be consumed amongst like minded bulldog loving gentlemen?
Last time (2021) we met at the Durham Castle Pub in Green Square, Kingston (Jardine St). It's an English style pub. I don't think I've been there since but it seemed OK. Pretty crowded from memory.

It's 900m from the East gate of Manuka Oval. The Kingston Hotel is another option, only 250m to walk. Probably be full of plastics though.

Game starts at 7:30 so maybe meet at 6pm if you can get there by then?

I'm not sure if/when I can get there as it's a busy day for me. Good chance I could be there by 6:30. Enough time for a quick pint ... or two.
Who else is going? philmb ? Hobdog ? Pugz89 ?

My seat is in Hillstand 1 Row D.

Last time (2021) we met at the Durham Castle Pub in Green Square, Kingston (Jardine St). It's an English style pub. I don't think I've been there since but it seemed OK. Pretty crowded from memory.

It's 900m from the East gate of Manuka Oval. The Kingston Hotel is another option, only 250m to walk. Probably be full of plastics though.

Game starts at 7:30 so maybe meet at 6pm if you can get there by then?

I'm not sure if/when I can get there as it's a busy day for me. Good chance I could be there by 6:30. Enough time for a quick pint ... or two.
Who else is going? philmb ? Hobdog ? Pugz89 ?

My seat is in Hillstand 1 Row D.
I'm skipping out this year, overseas is calling instead. Have a good time and up the Pups!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back