Fixture Changes v Plastics Round 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he? I can’t remember really seeing him play that role for a long time. I think the whole Keath is a great intercept player is a bit of a myth from his Crows days. Gardner isn’t great at it either though.

Statistically he was a good intercept player at the Crows. But it was a small sample size. They used Talia and Hartigan as their primary KPDs and he played third man more. Whereas with us he’s always been our primary KPD, until this year.

This sounds dramatic, but Keath as a third tall / interceptor is genuinely last chance saloon to convince me he's not entirely cooked. I really, really hope he plays well in his original role - we need him playing good footy, but I worry that age/injuries have just caught up to him.

I know not everyone is in the best form but on paper this is the best team we've put on the park this year.

Probably too heavy on the talls but overall as good a mix of speed (baker, JJ, richards, A.Jones, Dale), skill (Bont, Daniel, Treloar) and grunt (Libba, Macrae, Baz) that we've had for a long time.

We still do miss those real utility types, especially in defence, but I guess having the best utility in the league makes up for it.

Is he? I can’t remember really seeing him play that role for a long time. I think the whole Keath is a great intercept player is a bit of a myth from his Crows days. Gardner isn’t great at it either though.
He’s still better than TOB, I get he’s not in his best form but if he plays vs Port instead of TOB we’re likely coming into this game on a 5 win streak

Do we need three tall defenders this week?.On a cold icy night .Cleary wouldn't be of more use.!
Need to double team Toby Green not Hogan. Would have thought anyway !

scot covers holes better and can run all day
he will defend a shot on goal punching through a point and then kick a goal up the other end
scot does alot of work -just my opinion, but i think he's safely entrenched
he is one of the reasons we are solid defensively right now.

...but i say this, as if we were out in the athenian night sipping gin tonics around a picturesque outdoor cafe as the beautiful people walk by

'im worried about gardner real worried
it keeps me up at night...'

scot covers holes better and can run all day
he will defend a shot on goal punching through a point and then kick a goal up the other end
scot does alot of work -just my opinion, but i think he's safely entrenched
he is one of the reasons we are solid defensively right now.

...but i say this, as if we were out in the athenian night sipping gin tonics around a picturesque outdoor cafe as the beautiful people walk by

'im worried about gardner real worried
it keeps me up at night...'
switch to retsina Ath, and all your cares will melt away

Really don't need 3 tall defenders this week against GWS. Would have been a great chance to get Buka in as the 3rd mid defender who can play tall if needed. I don't think we have got the best out of Buka unfortunately by playing him forward all summer at training and for Footscray. He is the ultimate swingman and should be played at both ends at both levels. I actually think we still could do with him in the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really don't need 3 tall defenders this week against GWS. Would have been a great chance to get Buka in as the 3rd mid defender who can play tall if needed. I don't think we have got the best out of Buka unfortunately by playing him forward all summer at training and for Footscray. He is the ultimate swingman and should be played at both ends at both levels. I actually think we still could do with him in the backline.
You know Buku has never played well as a defender at AFL level and doesn't have the tank to play the required T.O.G

I'd prefer we get a look at the named KPD setup to see if it's what we should be moving forward with. Buku might be a better 'interceptor' but I'd say Gardner is quicker and more agile in terms of the opponents he can play on. It might also free up Jones & Keath to play their more natural intercept style games.

Hogan - Keath
Himmelberg - Gardner
Cadman/3rd - Jones (intercepting role)

Keath won a showdown medal playing as an interceptor.
He can do it, may be a little rusty at it though. Every game he gets this years he's pretty much playing as bonus time though. With his hammies I'm not sure even he thought he'd be playing this long

Keath won a showdown medal playing as an interceptor.
He can do it, may be a little rusty at it though. Every game he gets this years he's pretty much playing as bonus time though. With his hammies I'm not sure even he thought he'd be playing this long
Was a lot leaner though. We bulked him up.

Also, he was actually a ball mover and user, and was doing things like playing on that people seem to hate him for it. Wasn't just a intercepter but a genuine rebounder.

Was a lot leaner though. We bulked him up.

Also, he was actually a ball mover and user, and was doing things like playing on that people seem to hate him for it. Wasn't just a intercepter but a genuine rebounder.
He was actually told to avoid long kicking in his time at the Crows. If anything, we freed him up to allow him to kick long. Their team rules were pretty strict at the time (part of the origin of the Crowbots moniker).

He also dropped a fair bit of weight this pre-season which has helped his mobility compared to last year.

Damien Barrett reporting Toby Greene very sore and a big chance not to get up for tomorrow's game. I think I hate that on two fronts; 1 - it came from that flog purple and 2 - i'd love to beat the plastics with him in the side

Damien Barrett reporting Toby Greene very sore and a big chance not to get up for tomorrow's game. I think I hate that on two fronts; 1 - it came from that flog purple and 2 - i'd love to beat the plastics with him in the side
Less I have to look at Toby the cane toad 🐸 the better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back