Unofficial Preview Changes v Port Adelaide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Out: Zorko (inj), Gardiner, Birchall, Smith.

In: T. Berry, Payne, Answerth, Skinner.

I would love to find a way to bring Robertson in as well, as they run a pretty big contested midfield brigade.

I don’t see Fagan making any changes other than Berry in for Zorko.
You want to drop Gardiner. That a typo?

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McStay was average but doubt he will get dropped.
yes pretty average, I doubt will ever kick a 'bag' especially when crowds are back. Skinner and Ballenden must wonder how they get a crack. I think Sams contract is up this year so at some point he has to play. Oh and three very tall forwards for Port this week, but doubt Payne will get a chance either. So whilst we are winning at the GABBA against average opposition (Freeo, West Coast form terrible and potential wooden spoon contenders Adelaide) our form MIGHT look better than it actually is. Surely at 198cm, 101kg and athletic if Payne was ever going to play in the immediate future it would be this week against Port.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think we have been carrying too many mids in recent weeks and we have been poorer for it with too many changes during games and too many trying to do the same thing. We were better in this game when Berry got more of an opportunity through the middle and Bailey got more of an opportunity to get up and down the ground.

For me therefore I would be bringing in Coleman for Zorko. He is a true forward flanker who is not going to get in the road of others and can actually kick a goal. He gets into space nicely and his delivery into forward 50 is also excellent.

We saw again on the weekend how Gardner has trouble handling true key position players. With Port being quite tall I think we have to bring in another tall defender. Give Payne or Eagles a game and see what they can do. I would go with a one ruck option for this game to make room.

Ah Chee was better this game but still made a few poor decisions. You probably give him another based on the improvement but for me I am not seeing that he offers anything more than quite a few other options we have and the mistakes may cost us at important times. Birchall makes a few nice kicks each game but realistically is a bit of a liability at the back as well and should be another on the watch list.
Payne is ahead of Eagles, and also Eagles can only play if upgraded from Rookie B so very unlikely. Heaven help us if Birchall enjoys the sunshine and decides he wants another retirement year next year, you could not blame a couple of the young blokes if they explore opportunities elsewhere. Port have three talls all over 197cm and the coach even mention this a few weeks ago that they were selected for height advantage against Freeo, same will apply this week against Brisbane. Payne surely gets a crack. Lester or Birchall to be rested, or the popular term 'managed' and give the 'payne train' a crack.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mmmmmm....... same could be said of Port.
yes maybe, and likely Lions with the home ground advantage will be favourites, but I think Port dealt with a more determined West Coast pretty comfortably last week and not that it means much but beat us in the Marsh series game earlier in the year.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Perfect opportunity to get Payne into th side. We need him for a monster forward, although playing against Dixon, is that too much of a big ask for a 1st gamer?
Could've tried him out against West Coast which would have helped. But I guess the coaching staff didn't want to blood him then either, it was a big game too.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Berry in for Zorko.

Lions by a kick.

Edit - * Port.

yes maybe, and likely Lions with the home ground advantage will be favourites, but I think Port dealt with a more determined West Coast pretty comfortably last week and not that it means much but beat us in the Marsh series game earlier in the year.
I think the game on Saturday night is shaping as one of the games of the year so far.
It has the potential to be an absolute cracker and worthy of a top of the table clash.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't see how anyone should get dropped off last weeks game. But that's not to say we don't have players on the sidelines who could conceivably do better. There's not all that much between several players . I like Ah Chee because he brings in some extra pace , he needs to clean up his disposal a bit but I think it'll come. Not against bringing Coleman in for Zorks , or T Berry or Bundy. We could a little short down back and the only one you could let go based on performance is Birchall. But I wouldn't . Darce is in the leadership group and has plenty of runs on the board.

If McStay hasn't been replaced by now then just don't see it happening. He was ok last week.

I suspect there'll only be the one change unless Stef gets up . Maybe its time for a surprise. Would love to get a look at Payne in the Seniors.

TheByeRound

Debutant
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I noticed Berry in a few centre bounces on the weekend. He's had 2 really solid weeks. Does anyone know what sort of position he's playing? Or with Zorko out will he play a more forward sort of role?

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No unforced changes for me everyone played well except for the usual goal kicking issues. So Zorko out and E Smith/D Robertson in. Stefan in if fit and A Smith out

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely at 198cm, 101kg and athletic if Payne was ever going to play in the immediate future it would be this week against Port.
If we weren't prepared to play him (or any other young KPPs) against the worst team in the league, are we really going to against the best team in the league?

I was dumbfounded by the team selection against Adelaide. We wasted a game on Archie who has no future at the top while neglecting to give the youngsters an opportunity. I know we haven't seen the boys play in the twos and Fages has more than earned our trust, I just don't know if a better opportunity will present itself for a long while.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
absolutely yes..way too much and I very much doubt it will happen. Dixon is more than a monster forward who is dominating every game so far this year. He will be our main focus on stopping this week and putting Payney on him for his first game would not be a consideration in my opinion.
I would assume Andrews gets Dixon. If Payne was to come in I would think he would have to go to the more inexperienced Marshall. Westhoff on Gardiner sounds ready to exploited for height but think he would be smart enough to go with him

I noticed Berry in a few centre bounces on the weekend. He's had 2 really solid weeks. Does anyone know what sort of position he's playing? Or with Zorko out will he play a more forward sort of role?
He’ll play anywhere, just try stopping him.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we weren't prepared to play him (or any other young KPPs) against the worst team in the league, are we really going to against the best team in the league?

I was dumbfounded by the team selection against Adelaide. We wasted a game on Archie who has no future at the top while neglecting to give the youngsters an opportunity. I know we haven't seen the boys play in the twos and Fages has more than earned our trust, I just don't know if a better opportunity will present itself for a long while.

This is a 17 game season though so it really doesn't make sense to trial players in selection or try get games in. Each win matters more and we are clearly in finals contention so it makes no sense to debut players even against weak teams.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This is a 17 game season though so it really doesn't make sense to trial players in selection or try get games in.
Then when? We're not so bad that we can't afford to trial players against a team that got crushed by the Suns the week before. We were favoured by six goals.

Each win matters more and we are clearly in finals contention so it makes no sense to debut players even against weak teams.
What happens if we have injuries right before the finals and the best players available for us haven't yet played a senior match? Will that be the right time to debut them, or should we pick veterans who aren't performing the best in the reserves?

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Then when? We're not so bad that we can't afford to trial players against a team that got crushed by the Suns the week before. We were favoured by six goals.

What happens if we have injuries right before the finals and the best players available for us haven't yet played a senior match? Will that be the right time to debut them, or should we pick veterans who aren't performing the best in the reserves?

Then injuries happen and we have to deal with it. If that means debuting players, that means debuting players. Selection policy has to be about winning each week this year and given our position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back