Preview Changes v Richmond - Rd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine with that, hard to drop players who are playing really well and are all different sizes and s**t. Goody playin it safe. If BBB doesn't play against north in tassie I'm gonna be pissed though.

Big mistake not playing Weid IMO. Fritta has one week out for a broken hand and he comes back as our focal point against the Tigers while Weid kicks 7 in the VFL and is fully fit! Crazy Goody is back! Melksham is bloody lucky IMO! Better provide something this week! So we hold off on Weid/Brown for Tassie where it will most likely be wet and miserable! Doesn't make sense to me but hey, we are 5-0, so I'll save the energy for post game.

Damn, small ball gonna be the play. Interesting.
Balta, Astbury, Grimes and Broad down back for the Tigers. They're going to pick off everything if we get wobbly under pressure and start bombing it forward.

I don't think these changes are terrible, we'll have one of Gawn/Jackson competing up forward alongside TMac and Fritsch.
I don’t mind it. Yes Weido looked great in vfl, and I’m especially stoked that his body is standing up, but another week at the lower level gives more time for him to feel confident at lower pressure. Plus gives us another week in training to work out how to play a structure that includes Weid or BBB.

Happy with that. Goody obviously prioritising forward pressure over an extra marking target and that has worked for us all year.

Plus Weid and B Brown missed a stack of preseason and might be better off getting 100% match fit before returning to AFL level.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be an idea to reflect that both Weed and B.Brown have played one and a half games this year . I am not surprised the club feels they need another run in the seconds against the Tigers , who will offer a sterner test than Box Hill last weekend . Personally would prefer Weed plays 2nds rather than sit on the pine as an emergency but what do i know .

I can understand not bringing in Brown for this week, but the decision not to bring in Weid this week strikes me as a bit dumb and reactive. It's like we're saying that Richmond depends a lot on the forward pressure of their smalls to win games, so we need to do the same. Our forward structure looked pretty iffy for 3 quarters against Hawthorn, and I'm not sure that bringing the slick man in is going to fix that. A tall option who can provide a contest any time the ball is brought in quickly and haphazardly (which is going to happen against high-pressure sides like Richmond) is pretty important, particularly when Richmond have an embarrassment of quality intercept defenders. Maybe fitness is a concern, but surely Weid can't be significantly more of a fitness concern than someone like Melksham who must also be lacking match fitness.

We'll see. Happy to eat crow on this one if we can pick holes through the Tigers defence with precision kicking to leading smalls and manic forward 50 pressure, but I can easily see this blowing up in our faces.

Weid and Brown be better for the run if Weid actually gets a run being an emergency. Do we know playing time and GPS stats from the 2 games? just cause you kick 7 doesnt mean you are ready for a full AFL match. Melksham kicked 3 be hard to drop him as he's the 1 that isn't a pressure forward so it just has to be him out for a big. TMac at this point isn't getting dropped playing between the arcs getting 10 marks and 20+ a game. Jordon is the mid rotation we need so he isn't getting dropped for a Big. Hard to make too many changes to a set up thats winning. Weid still might be a late in for Fritsch surely he isn't 100% playing

If ever you were going to bring Weid in surely it would be after he kicks a bag and his confidence is sky high.
I'd get him in for M.Brown and bring May in if he is right to go. If May comes in, keep a look out for an "accidental" high contact from Tom Lynch too.
Agree on Weid, although it was one great game after one meh game in the magoos. Still, think we'd need him and could fit him in for M. Brown. Rushing blokes back from injury seems a bit risky.

I don't understand the people above saying we need a focal point and people to bring it to ground etc. We have Gawn, Tmac and Jackson that's plenty enough talls.

Apparently bringing in Weid of Brown will improve our forward delivery? Haha because that doesn't encourage us to just bomb it forward more with one of them parked in the goal square. Brown sucks at that btw. Brown needs it on the lead, no different to Fritta gotta be a good kick

Last but not least Tigers score 6 goals a game from defensive transition so forward pressure is key against them, playing 3 key forwards against them is not the way to go.

Very smart changes

I don't understand the people above saying we need a focal point and people to bring it to ground etc. We have Gawn, Tmac and Jackson that's plenty enough talls.

Apparently bringing in Weid of Brown will improve our forward delivery? Haha because that doesn't encourage us to just bomb it forward more with one of them parked in the goal square. Brown sucks at that btw. Brown needs it on the lead, no different to Fritta gotta be a good kick

Last but not least Tigers score 6 goals a game from defensive transition so forward pressure is key against them, playing 3 key forwards against them is not the way to go.

Very smart changes
Exactly, we're currently number 1 for pressure in the comp. Saw a thing on fox footy that we have the best ever recorded interecepts and the most ever in every part of the ground. We also concede the least amount of scores per inside 50 ever. We're at 31%, AFL average is 48%, that's all pressure based. Changing the dynamic of that pressure against Richmond will * us. Great changes.

Very smart changes
well said coq sucker

Exactly, we're currently number 1 for pressure in the comp. Saw a thing on fox footy that we have the best ever recorded interecepts and the most ever in every part of the ground. We also concede the least amount of scores per inside 50 ever. We're at 31%, AFL average is 48%, that's all pressure based. Changing the dynamic of that pressure against Richmond will fu** us. Great changes.

Yeah the team that's the most dangerous in transition you don't add extra talls.

We deliberately kick to the pocket anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back