Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
We’ve got some boys in pretty poor form.

Melk, Harmes, Bugg, Jetta, ANB, Wagner.

We definitely need another tall up forward, and need to drop a couple of these above.

This game just showed the same issues we’ve had all year except that the Hawks actually exploited them - they were red hot and the way they finished and controlled the ball in the conditions was brilliant.

Worse than that is which players are actually in form.

Omac, Hogan, Gawn, Oliver...
Reckon Trac hasn't been at his best enough nor Garlett.

Jones you could maybe add.

Everyone looked so assured of their roles last year but this year no one except Hogan and Omac seem to know their role.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
We’ve got some boys in pretty poor form.

Melk, Harmes, Bugg, Jetta, ANB, Wagner.

We definitely need another tall up forward, and need to drop a couple of these above.

This game just showed the same issues we’ve had all year except that the Hawks actually exploited them - they were red hot and the way they finished and controlled the ball in the conditions was brilliant.
ANB shouldnt be dropped his workrate was better than any player on the ground he ran the furthest and was quickest average speed in attack and defense.

I really dont know!

It was a crap team performance. Hard to single anyone out.

Pedo, Tyson and Hunt should come in but not sure who to omit TBH.

Demonkings

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
In: Tyson, Pedersen, Hunt, Stretch
Out: Bugg, Fritsch, Lewis, Jetta (inj)

Despite four changes, not feeling too wrathful, just think we need to be smart at selection with an eye towards the longer goal, which is getting the best from the list for the rest of the season.

Tyson in is a no brainer, we really missed him yesterday and it’s obvious that our midfield cannot cover the loss of two or more of Viney, Tyson and Oliver. See Sydney game last year. The rest played very well for Casey and deserve their chance. Especially Billy Stretch. Give him the three weeks to prove himself that Bugg has just got. Hunt for Jetta, and Jets gets his body right for the rest of the season, because I’m convinced he hasn’t been right since round 1. Pedo for Fritsch, a young small for an old tall, will hopefully help our team balance. Fritsch has done everything right, just give him a breather so he doesn’t burn out, he should get many more opportunities throughout the season. Lewis is now the “break in case of emergency” that I thought Vince would be at the start of the year. Seems Bernie has a lot more to give out of the two. If used smartly, Lewis could still contribute a lot to the team, but he no longer has the capacity to be a starter every week, and frankly his spot in the team should now belong to a bloke like Stretch who is in the age bracket that will carry this club forward. As an aside, I don’t think Vince and Lewis should ever play in the same team again. Let them share the same spot and maybe from here Lewis plays another 6-8 games and Vince another 12-14.

Bugg is the only angry omission for me this week. Missing opportunities is one thing, but kicking 0.4 against Hawthorn is essentially giving them four free kicks and gifting Hawthorn possession is just playing into their hands. Inexcusable.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why haven't you guys been playing Hunt? I thought he was one of your best players last year. Great kick and is a 80m+ player. Also Pederson straightens you up and frees up Hogan. Bewildering decisions IMHO.
Hunt butchers the ball and had a poor two weeks. I don’t mind him being dropped. Pedersen is a must. It’s blatantly obvious that if Goodwin wants Hogan up the ground then you can’t kick to medium forwards that offer no pressure.

Roughead parks himself in the goal square. It’s simple footy. Pedersen is guaranteed to either mark it or kill a contest. He is a bloody hard guy to out mark.

Hunt may come in this week, but I think we persist with Wagner as he has been really good.

Get out of my sight:

- Harmes, Im well and truly sick of you trying to be a He-Man, attempting to run through players and break tackles instead of giving it to off to a teammate. Just cause you have tatts it doesn't make you tough.

- Melksham, Ive seen enough of you this year, despite having "credits in the bank" after playing really well last year you will always have a short leash with me cause I never liked you at Essendon. :D

- Jetta, it pains me to say it, but this year, you've been trash bruh.

- Bugg, if you're not kicking 4 goals and you no longer niggle you're worthless, therefor, in 95% of your games, you're worthless.

On notice:

- Petracca, how bout when you get the ball you try and hit a target every now and then?

- Lever, please tell me there isn't 5 years of this

In:

- Pederson, Hunt and two other random lambs for the slaughter against Richmond.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
out- Melksham, Wagner, Harmes, Jetta, Bugg
in- Tyson, Hannan, Hunt, Weideman, Balic

Hibberd O.Mac Lever
Salem Frost Hunt
Brayshaw Jones Tyson
Petracca Hogan Kent
Hannan Weideman Garlett

Gawn Oliver Vince

int- Lewis, ANB, Balic, Fritsch.

Hunt and Salem to go back to mop up the loose ball.
Vince and Lewis move out of the Halfbackline as they're too slow.
Weids to provide a deep fwd target, pinch hit in the ruck and free up Hogan to get up the ground.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Get out of my sight:

- Harmes, Im well and truly sick of you trying to be a He-Man, attempting to run through players and break tackles instead of giving it to off to a teammate. Just cause you have tatts it doesn't make you tough.

- Melksham, Ive seen enough of you this year, despite having "credits in the bank" after playing really well last year you will always have a short leash with me cause I never liked you at Essendon. :D

- Jetta, it pains me to say it, but this year, you've been trash bruh.

- Bugg, if you're not kicking 4 goals and you no longer niggle you're worthless, therefor, in 95% of your games, you're worthless.

On notice:

- Petracca, how bout when you get the ball you try and hit a target every now and then?

- Lever, please tell me there isn't 5 years of this

In:

- Pederson, Hunt and two other random lambs for the slaughter against Richmond.
Agree with all here.

Trac's game was lazy af. Maybe his worst so far. That bomb he did that went to the fat side for Hawthorn who had 3 runners strolling into 50 was so dumb, but he reverts back to it very often.

Agree with all here.

Trac's game was lazy af. Maybe his worst so far. That bomb he did that went to the fat side for Hawthorn who had 3 runners strolling into 50 was so dumb, but he reverts back to it very often.

When we are behind we love nothing more than reverting to the good ole "bomb it long" strategy (Petracca is the captain of this strategy) ... yet when we are playing well, such as in the first quarter yesterday, we are linking up with handball and running in numbers. Hmmm, might be just me but I'm sensing a pattern.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
When we are behind we love nothing more than reverting to the good ole "bomb it long" strategy (Petracca is the captain of this strategy) ... yet when we are playing well, such as in the first quarter yesterday, we are linking up with handball and running in numbers. Hmmm, might be just me but I'm sensing a pattern.
i think good teams are well aware of this also. they dont get sucked into the contest like we do and shut down our outside options forcing us to kick instead of run and handball and usually to an outnumbered fwd line.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
We need to get rid of this abundance of half forward flankers that clog the 50 and don't push back in defence.

But we won't because that is our game plan.

We need a second ruck and an actual target up forward and around the ground, and we desperately need some pace. We also need players who run at the ball and not backwards and we missed Tyson who always leads for the short 20 m bail out kick.

We aren't getting the best out of our list with our stupid game plan and its hard for the players to do anything different on the field when the team selected is unbalanced in the first place.

In: Tyson, Pedo, Hunt, whoever is spreading well on the wing for casey

Out: Bugg (is fundamentally a s**t kick - missed set shots and missed an easy pass to Garlett), Fristch (needs a break), Melksham, Jetta if injured

Would love Lewis to be dropped to add pace to the team but it won't happen.

Lever at least can punch the ball out of bounds and not into the oppo goal square. When our other defends realise he will kill the contest and they can stay out of the pack we will be a lot better.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I honestly don't think Bugg should play again unless we're seriously hampered with injuries. He's just far too limited as a footballer and this team isn't going forward with him in it.

Give Stretch a run. Yeah, he's completely vanilla...but at least he has some basic skills.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
I don't really care tbh. It's like the heart break of last year never happened to the players, they just don't seem to want it and the coach has the personality and passion of a dead duck.

Out: Game plan.
In: Pedersen (he should never have been dropped, ridiculous not having a tall target forward and a proper back up ruck. Don't really care who else, maybe someone who can kick straight and who has some pace. Actually, 12 more of those types of players please.

Darhkuan

Senior List
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I really don't get people calling for Buggs head. Given how many inside 50s we have, he is one of our only forwards who actually looks like doing something.... Kent is great in the effort he gives, but seems to be a bit of a down hill skier. Other than those 2 did we actually have any other forwards yesterday???

Gawn was absolutely putrid yesterday. Played like a child, and for all the hitout to adv he gets us, he gives at least as many to the opp mids. Harmes while not a ruck at all at least competed at ground, they had far less clean take aways while he was in the ruck contest.

Melksham should NOT be in the team, unless he is playing a forward tagging role so someone can take him to the ball, that's when he plays his best.

Lever needs to get some confidence.

Outs: Lever, Melksham, lewis
In: Pedersen, balic, Tyson

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I generally try to avoid wholesale changes, but I'm sure there will be a couple this week.

Harmes might get a reprieve, because he was asked to spend a lot of time contesting center bounces.

The thing I keep coming back to is our lack of plan B. In every single game this year (and many last year), we have given a side a run of goals without changing our structure or forward press.

I'll say it again, but until we can learn to slow/stall the game when the opposition gets momentum, we will lose a lot of games.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I really don't get people calling for Buggs head. Given how many inside 50s we have, he is one of our only forwards who actually looks like doing something.... Kent is great in the effort he gives, but seems to be a bit of a down hill skier. Other than those 2 did we actually have any other forwards yesterday???

Gawn was absolutely putrid yesterday. Played like a child, and for all the hitout to adv he gets us, he gives at least as many to the opp mids. Harmes while not a ruck at all at least competed at ground, they had far less clean take aways while he was in the ruck contest.

Melksham should NOT be in the team, unless he is playing a forward tagging role so someone can take him to the ball, that's when he plays his best.

Lever needs to get some confidence.

Outs: Lever, Melksham, lewis
In: Pedersen, balic, Tyson

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bugg is a terrible kick for goal and also a terrible decision maker with ball in hand.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
What we need is simplicity. We can’t and don’t have time to be a cute side with too much room to think and make structural decisions. We need to go back to basics. Defenders who defend, give me 6 guys that can stay tight on their man and then provide some run and carry when needed.

Forwards, keep Hogan or Pedersen deep and have the other being the CHF. I am sick of this open forward line with no target.

Worse than that is which players are actually in form.

Omac, Hogan, Gawn, Oliver...
Reckon Trac hasn't been at his best enough nor Garlett.

Jones you could maybe add.

Everyone looked so assured of their roles last year but this year no one except Hogan and Omac seem to know their role.
Unrelated but I'm liking Salem in the last two weeks. I rate his clearance work really highly, and he's looking good kicking into the forward 50 too. I hope the coaches give him some consistency in this role, needs at least a month to work at it and improve.

Bad news for us is some Richmond passenger got a week suspension. They'll put someone better in.

The passenger who destroyed sloan in the GF and kicked 3 snags himself?

Decent passenger imo

We will in all likelyhood bring broad in to free rance up

May well be our only change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back