Prediction Changes v Richmond

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Matthew Broadbent earned a recall as his form against the Crows in Port Pirie last week was superb. Garner was OK without being brilliant but he could have come in for Cam Sutcliffe.

The Magpies v Crows SANFL game is still up on Seven Plus for those who are interested.

Like many of you I am also wondering how Cam Sutcliffe got a spot in the first place and also why Xavier Duursma was dropped. Of all the 2019 debutantes I think Xavier has been the most consistent but I gave up trying to see logic in our selection process a long time ago.

Geez, an up and down season for Todd Marshall and Willem Drew. AFL one week and interchange for the SANFL the next. Doesn't mean a huge amount of course but you would think if either was in Ken's bigger picture they would start on the ground in the reserve's side.

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. If you were Trengove you’d be filthy.

Same age, actually did a preseason - has a gargantuan tank anyway, was in rip-roaring form and was utterly frozen out regardless.

Sutcliffe suddenly gets a fortnight as a proper midfielder.

It’s utterly nonsensical, but then so was pumping games into the Kane Mitchells, Jake Neades and Sam Grays.
yes. really feel for Trengove.

Yep. If you were Trengove you’d be filthy.

Same age, actually did a preseason - has a gargantuan tank anyway, was in rip-roaring form and was utterly frozen out regardless.

Sutcliffe suddenly gets a fortnight as a proper midfielder.

It’s utterly nonsensical, but then so was pumping games into the Kane Mitchells, Jake Neades and Sam Grays.

I'd quite happily see Sam Gray never play for the Power again, but even he is twice the player of Sutcliffe. Which shows just how bad the Sutcliffe selection is.

Glad Sutcliffe stays in. Bloke was sold up the river without a paddle last week. Let him play his natural game and he can contribute.

Fremantle had years of watching him play 'his natural game'. They delisted him because it wasn't good enough.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Ken Hinkley is bad for footy.

Imagine if an 18 year old Lance Franklin was drafted to a Ken Hinkley coached team.
"Buddy's shown a bit in the Maggies. He just needs to bring that every week and take his chance if Sam Gray gets injured and we don't have the right match up for bringing in AJ or Cam."

David Puddy

All Australian
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is just getting better every week.

No need to keep campaigning against Ken, people. He's doing all the hard work for us himself.

The end is near.

Sep 7, 2014
Port Lincoln Power
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So now Kens doubling down on the Sutcliffe selection in a vain hope that he plays well to try to justify his poor selection last week.

So I guess he’s going to hard tag someone? Yet I thought we want to play attacking football.
If that tag doesn’t work where are you going to play him then Ken?

The seasons over but Kens trying to save his backside instead of what’s best for the club.
Should be playing Garner, Atley or Drew before an old age freo reject.

Then there is Motlop talk about the goldest of golden gold passes.

Stuff me two more years of this shite.

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
Ken Hinkley is bad for footy.

Imagine if an 18 year old Lance Franklin was drafted to a Ken Hinkley coached team.

How did Mitchell Thorp do at Hawthorn? A top five pick in the 2006 super draft with all the makings of an elite key forward.

Comparing a young Franklin, or even the likes of Hipwood, to what our young forwards have shown at AFL level is just way off the mark.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How did Mitchell Thorp do at Hawthorn? A top five pick in the 2006 super draft with all the makings of an elite key forward.

Comparing a young Franklin, or even the likes of Hipwood, to what our young forwards have shown at AFL level is just way off the mark.

I always laugh when people bring up hipwood like he's the player our forwards need to aspire too.

Y'all do realise hipwood has kicked like 1 or less goals in like 90% of his career right? A performance that has always been droppable at port for a key forward but he's racked up nearly 70 games before 22 years of age. * he's played around 10 less games than our 25 yr old fullback tom clurey.

Hipwoods bags of 5 or 6 goals usually come around 5-8 games apart, a stretch we’ve never ever given any of our developing key forwards in hinkleys tenure.

Last edited:

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
The point is that Cam Sutcliffe is
- a 27yo Fremantle delistee
- who did not complete an AFL preseason
- who was selected after a 14 touch game
- to tag
- a tactic that did not work well
- a tactic we've open stated we won't repeat
- who managed 10 touches at 50% as a midfielder
- in a game we got smashed
- has been backed in for a further game.

Billy Frampton
- An in form, up and coming player in a position we have really struggled to develop talent in.
- Picked on form, is leading the reserves in goals averaging almost 3 a game.
- Kicked 3 the previous week against Gold Coast
- Had 9 touches as a forward in a game we struggled to enter the forward line effectively all day against Hawthorn
- Dropped

Todd Marshall
- A supremely talented blue chip tall forward prospect, again, a position where we struggle to develop players
- who has already shown plenty of that ability at AFL level
- who is coming off of one of the hardest off field situations that any teenage footballer would have to deal with with both of his parents passing away.
- who was playing solid football as a 3rd tall in a dysfunctional forward line, with statlines typical of a 10 game AFL key forward.
- dropped.

Cam Sutcliffe is continuing a storied tradition of low ceiling, low performance players with no improvement in them getting extensive AFL level games in the Hinkley era.
Hmm, won't argue with this.
If Sutcliffe plays well this weekend then it won't matter very much, but I still think Marshall would get a stronger chance if he just had more scoreboard influence, he got put back in the AFL after a four-goal game earlier in the year, he hasn't been able to do that since.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Sutcliffe would be a good role player in a good side, like his former teammates in De Boer & Mayne. He isn't suited for a rebuild, hence why Freo got rid of him and makes you wonder why he is here but i don't think he is a bad player and is every bit as good as Jack Trengove.

I just feel a bit sorry for him in that he was brought in to play his first AFL game for the season (which is normally rusty for even the great players) and was "coached" to play an ultra defesnive role where he was never going to get a lot of his own footy and people think he was the reason we lost. Don't blame him, blame the coaches!

What i'm intrigued about is whether Kenny is doubling down on his defensive tactic this week or has given him another game in a natural role because he knows he messed up with him last week.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Sutcliffe would be a good role player in a good side, like his former teammates in De Boer & Mayne. He isn't suited for a rebuild, hence why Freo got rid of him and makes you wonder why he is here but i don't think he is a bad player and is every bit as good as Jack Trengove.

I just feel a bit sorry for him in that he was brought in to play his first AFL game for the season (which is normally rusty for even the great players) and was "coached" to play an ultra defesnive role where he was never going to get a lot of his own footy and people think he was the reason we lost. Don't blame him, blame the coaches!

What i'm intrigued about is whether Kenny is doubling down on his defensive tactic this week or has given him another game in a natural role because he knows he messed up with him last week.
You would have to be a genius to work out what Ken is thinking.
I can see a lot of our fringe players moving on to greener pastures at seasons end because of Ken’s selection criteria.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Quoted because i'm too angry for one angry like. I just don't understand what this regime has against forwards. We've kicked 100 points twice this season, and one of those we got there with an avalanche of successive behinds
Ken's mindset is the winner of the game is the side that concedes the least points, not who kicks the most goals. We all know he'd rather a 40-30 win then a 120-60 one.

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ken's mindset is the winner of the game is the side that concedes the least points, not who kicks the most goals. We all know he'd rather a 40-30 win then a 120-60 one.
Yeah, if we could reliably win 40-30 every week, many of us would take that. The trouble is the scenario like last week where the oppo gets a run on and we just don't have the firepower to pull it back. In our losses, it's generally by as much as we're down by at QT.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, if we could reliably win 40-30 every week, many of us would take that. The trouble is the scenario like last week where the oppo gets a run on and we just don't have the firepower to pull it back. In our losses, it's generally by as much as we're down by at QT.
Exactly. That's the problem with trying to win by strangling the other side, rather than pound them to pieces with goals. It doesn't take much of an opposition run to turn a close contest into a blow out.

Exactly. That's the problem with trying to win by strangling the other side, rather than pound them to pieces with goals. It doesn't take much of an opposition run to turn a close contest into a blow out.
It also leaves you in a higher position of vulnerability to bad umpiring because the impact of one decision increases

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It also leaves you in a higher position of vulnerability to bad umpiring because the impact of one decision increases
And of course when devising strategies you do have to take into account Port would never be on the wrong side of umpiring during a game. Let alone be a poster club for bizarre decisions never to be repeated! :drunk:

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You would have to be a genius to work out what Ken is thinking.
I can see a lot of our fringe players moving on to greener pastures at seasons end because of Ken’s selection criteria.
This is the reason we need to move Ken on before the end of the season.

Select a caretaker coach who will play Frampton, Garner, Ladhams and SPP. Give them a chance to shine and a reason to stay.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Plays the youth card midweek.

Selects Sutcliffe and Broadbent.

I'm not usually one to melt over fringe selections, but the lack of strategic direction in all of this is quite astounding. Season is clearly over, there should be a directive from the top of the football department to start preparing for next year and to expose as many young players as possible to as much football as possible on the run home. I've got nothing against either Sutcliffe or Broadbent, especially Broady who has been a great servant and was pretty decent in the games he played this year, but what exactly is the goal in this last 6 weeks?

I don't think sutcliffe is anywhere near as bad as what is being made out on here.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cam Sutcliffe could play a role in a strong, talented, well structured team, as he did for many years at Ross Lyon's Freo, including playing in a grand final team. I think we can all agree that this is not a good description of Port Adelaide.

Back