Analysis Changes v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stringer should kick 6 if he plays on Brown. Gilbert would be the better match up I reckon
Yeah, you pick your own poison playing on Stringer

Big lumbering defenders like Hartigan get done by pace and agility, while Jake has the advantage height wise on smaller medium types.

Normally them 6"1-6"3 versatile medium types are best matched up on him, like Kolodashnij from Geelong who has beaten him a few times.

FWIW, Brown could work if Carlisle/Roberton is regularly loose coming third man in a lot though. Can totally see it happening when Boyd is in the ruck/having a rest.

Yeah, you pick your own poison playing on Stringer

Big lumbering defenders like Hartigan get done by pace and agility, while Jake has the advantage height wise on smaller medium types.

Normally them 6"1-6"3 versatile medium types are best matched up on him, like Kolodashnij from Geelong who has beaten him a few times.

FWIW, Brown could work if Carlisle/Roberton is regularly loose coming third man in a lot though. Can totally see it happening when Boyd is in the ruck/having a rest.

I think Gilbert fits this brief pretty well. He's 194 cm but is pretty quick for his size. Obviously Stringer is still a tough match up if he's in good form. Are there doubts he might have been brought back a bit early? The other thing is, if we plan to keep playing Gilbert in the ruck as a back up for Longer, someone will have to go to Stringer for those moments. Maybe Carlisle could go into the ruck at times instead of Gilbert because we seem to have an extra tall in defence this week.

Can't see Roberton matching up on him though, he's been too good as our loose man in defence to put up him up against your best forward.

Shapes as a good game with both teams smarting from disappointing losses last week. I tend to think you guys will get over the line, it's hard to see you losing three in a row. Here's to no injuries and an entertaining match.

I think Gilbert fits this brief pretty well. He's 194 cm but is pretty quick for his size. Obviously Stringer is still a tough match up if he's in good form. Are there doubts he might have been brought back a bit early? The other thing is, if we plan to keep playing Gilbert in the ruck as a back up for Longer, someone will have to go to Stringer for those moments. Maybe Carlisle could go into the ruck at times instead of Gilbert because we seem to have an extra tall in defence this week.
So Gilbert filled in ruck minutes last week as Bruce was dropped?

I've only seen you boys play twice so far this season against Geelong and GWS, but I've listened a few times on radio, you seem to get a lot of Foxtel slots at the moment (I don't have Foxtel), but we'll see a lot more of you later in the year once you get a few more of them Friday nighters (think you got 4 this season).

We may as well chuck Jong into the ruck if that happens again with Gilbert and go taller up forward in them moments :p

Can't see Roberton matching up on him though, he's been too good as our loose man in defence to put up him up against your best forward.
Yeah agree, he's having an Easton Wood 2015 kind of breakout year, even though he's been around for a few years now (was at Freo too previously). He'd be what 25-26 now?

I think Roberton showed signs the last two years he could have a year like this, but injury to him or other defenders around him getting injured or in decline like Dempster and Fisher may have prevented it from happening? I thought he was one of your best players against us last year in your win, when you were attacking early in the game alot of that ball was started by him picking us off or being spare on the switch.

Having a fairly settled defensive core in Brown, Carlisle and Geary surrounding him seems to have brought the best out of him. Then guys like Montagna, Webster and whoever else you use in rebounding roles interchange through say HB/wing, Roberton is the link man though, much like Yeo is for West Coast, Tuohy is for Geelong and Howe for Collingwood.

Shapes as a good game with both teams smarting from disappointing losses last week. I tend to think you guys will get over the line, it's hard to see you losing three in a row. Here's to no injuries and an entertaining match.
If we put no work into at least 2 of Steven, Carlisle and Roberton, then I can't see us winning.

It'll be like last week with Dangerwood running riot or West Coast from 2 weeks ago with their midfield spread and defenders like Hurn, Yeo and McGovern picking us off all over again.

So many people seemed surprised that Red and Cloke are both out - but with Stringer and English as ins it's not that outlandish.

Not even remotely surprising. Cloke and Red were both ordinary last week. Really looking forward to seeing English in action.

Not even remotely surprising. Cloke and Red were both ordinary last week. Really looking forward to seeing English in action.
I don't recall anyone predicting both would be dropped, the debate seemed to be which one will be dropped for Roughead

Cloke and Red had no favours from the ball delivery of the team and the way Geelong set up behind the ball in the first half, they were both largely marginalised.

No surprises they were both much better in the 2nd half when we had the game on our terms for periods and had a better aerial threat in Boyd up forward.

Imo 1 of them should have been retained for the Carlisle/Roberton factor.

More room to work in at Etihad than the rectangle that is KP.

I don't recall anyone predicting both would be dropped, the debate seemed to be which one will be dropped for Roughead

IIRC I said neither excited me but I thought we'd keep one in, but given how shite they played neither is it surprising to me that they were both dropped - if that makes sense.

So Gilbert filled in ruck minutes last week as Bruce was dropped?

Yeah, he has since the Hawthorn game in Round 6. Taking Bruce out of the forward line seemed to be doing too much damage to our structure, and Gilbert has been doing just as good (or bad, they're both pretty woeful in the ruck) a job as Bruce there.

I've only seen you boys play twice so far this season against Geelong and GWS, but I've listened a few times on radio, you seem to get a lot of Foxtel slots at the moment (I don't have Foxtel), but we'll see a lot more of you later in the year once you get a few more of them Friday nighters (think you got 4 this season).

Yep, apart from the Friday night matches we seem to hardly be on FTA TV this year.

Yeah agree, he's having an Easton Wood 2015 kind of breakout year, even though he's been around for a few years now (was at Freo too previously). He'd be what 25-26 now?

I think Roberton showed signs the last two years he could have a year like this, but injury to him or other defenders around him getting injured or in decline like Dempster and Fisher may have prevented it from happening? I thought he was one of your best players against us last year in your win, when you were attacking early in the game alot of that ball was started by him picking us off or being spare on the switch.

Having a fairly settled defensive core in Brown, Carlisle and Geary surrounding him seems to have brought the best out of him. Then guys like Montagna, Webster and whoever else you use in rebounding roles interchange through say HB/wing, Roberton is the link man though, much like Yeo is for West Coast, Tuohy is for Geelong and Howe for Collingwood.

Yeah he's about to turn 26.

The last two years our defence was undersized more often than not, so Robbo had to play a bit more of a defensive role. He was still good but definitely didn't have the freedom to set up play like he has this year. Now with Brown and Carlisle, our whole defence has generally been settled and has clicked defensively, allowing Roberton and Webster (when not injured :( ) to set up a lot of our attacking play.

Robbo's probably not quite as good aerially as Yeo or Howe, but he's usually an excellent user of the ball and has even kicked a few long goals this year. Restrict his influence, though, and minus Webster our ball movement coming out defence can be very suspect at times, like it was last week against Sydney. Newnes was injured early in that one though, and Savage is in this week so hopefully from our point of view we'll be able to cover him being shut down a bit better. [/QUOTE]

If we put no work into at least 2 of Steven, Carlisle and Roberton, then I can't see us winning.

It'll be like last week with Dangerwood running riot or West Coast from 2 weeks ago with their midfield spread and defenders like Hurn, Yeo and McGovern picking us off all over again.

Steven and Roberton are definitely the two to put work into. If you restrict Steven's influence our midfield lacks cutting edge, even though Ross has been having a great season, he's not as dangerous as Steven is if you let him go. Roberton likewise makes sense to target in defence as I said earlier.

I tend to think we're an easier proposition than either of the last two matches you've had, so you'll be better placed to win this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They obviously rate English vv highly given who they have left out to pick him. If he does turn out to be that good, how are Boyd and Roughy going to fit in the team as well?

Yeah, he has since the Hawthorn game in Round 6. Taking Bruce out of the forward line seemed to be doing too much damage to our structure, and Gilbert has been doing just as good (or bad, they're both pretty woeful in the ruck) a job as Bruce there.

Yep, apart from the Friday night matches we seem to hardly be on FTA TV this year.

Yeah he's about to turn 26.

The last two years our defence was undersized more often than not, so Robbo had to play a bit more of a defensive role. He was still good but definitely didn't have the freedom to set up play like he has this year. Now with Brown and Carlisle, our whole defence has generally been settled and has clicked defensively, allowing Roberton and Webster (when not injured :( ) to set up a lot of our attacking play.

Robbo's probably not quite as good aerially as Yeo or Howe, but he's usually an excellent user of the ball and has even kicked a few long goals this year. Restrict his influence, though, and minus Webster our ball movement coming out defence can be very suspect at times, like it was last week against Sydney. Newnes was injured early in that one though, and Savage is in this week so hopefully from our point of view we'll be able to cover him being shut down a bit better.

Steven and Roberton are definitely the two to put work into. If you restrict Steven's influence our midfield lacks cutting edge, even though Ross has been having a great season, he's not as dangerous as Steven is if you let him go. Roberton likewise makes sense to target in defence as I said earlier.

I tend to think we're an easier proposition than either of the last two matches you've had, so you'll be better placed to win this week.[/QUOTE]
Steven rarely fails to have 30+ possessions against us and Roberton was very good last year.

I'm also wrapt Armitage and Dempster aren't playing. They both have played some blinders.

I think the MC Has been pretty poor this year

Some very strange decisions that have cost us at least one game IMO.

Should have stuck with what we had last in the structure it was in instead of this group that seem to think they know better than anyone else

They obviously rate English vv highly given who they have left out to pick him. If he does turn out to be that good, how are Boyd and Roughy going to fit in the team as well?
I think an in form Boyd picks himself. I reckon his best position is primarily forward and relieving in the ruck (for up to say 40% game time). That's roughly how it worked in the grand final.

Ultimately I reckon it will be Roughead that makes way for English long term but that might not be for a while. I expect English to get a few games but he's too slight to be number one ruckman for the long haul at present. I think it'll take a toll and Rough will come in. It'll probably take English a few years just playing when there's injury and form concerns before he establishes himself.

It's not in Beveridge's DNA to tag, so I can't see it happening, even though I'd like to see it happen.

He's very stubborn imo with his footballing philosophies. He'd rather us win our own ball and use it well and back team structures to win the ball back, than the one on one style of play to stop oppositions best players winning the ball instead.

Problem is when your midfield is out of form, going negative/restrictive can work imo.

Carlisle kicked 8 against us once when he played for Essendon also, so he could get the sticky mitts out again too.
I tend to think we're an easier proposition than either of the last two matches you've had, so you'll be better placed to win this week.
Maybe, but I'd don't think so, you guys play Etihad just as good as us and Norf, maybe better.

We've never won a game under Bev when Matt Boyd has missed either, so we'll see how you boys cope without Riewoldt too.

Hope they cancel each other out :p:D

I think the MC Has been pretty poor this year

Some very strange decisions that have cost us at least one game IMO.

Should have stuck with what we had last in the structure it was in instead of this group that seem to think they know better than anyone else
The MC thinking it knows best regarding the inner workings of our playing list or trying to anticipate the trends in modern football is a good thing. If Clarkson for example had stayed with the cluster because it won him one premiership that is about what he'd have,one premiership.
The Coaching staff are doing a good job and this can be recognised by the fact we look world beaters during sections of each match. The job and challenge is with the playing group and coaches to maintain what we are doing well across four quarters,and to eliminate our shortcomings.
If our tactics were to just repeat what we have done previous we will go nowhere in the modern era of professional football. We're not playing in some bush league against oppositions of amateurs.

If it is true, Bevo is going to be even more pissed off that somone is going to the media.
I reckon Bevo would have said you're a chance to get dropped but work on this etc then when MC settled, Bevo or someone text him saying you're defo out but remember our chat etc. More plausible imo.

As well as what the others have said about Robbo, the other thing with him is that his body is finally in tip-top shape this year.

He had a terrific first year with us, but then injured his ankle really severely in his last game of that season and it required a pretty major surgery and it made his following year pretty much a write-off and ever since then he's just been building his fitness back up.

This summer was reportedly the first time he's done a full preseason since he joined the AFL (or for several years at the very least) and this season is also reportedly the first time he's been able to do all the sessions between games for the first time in a long time. It was also reported earlier in the year that in this latest offseason he finally broke his 3km time trial best from before he was drafted, when he was about 12 or 14kg lighter than he is now, which just goes to show how much of a difference it can make to someone's running ability when they have to bulk up substantially once they get to an AFL club.

All the best for the game, looms as a really interesting one between two teams who are a not quite happy with their structure at the moment and just tinkering with it to find something that really works. Super-important one for both teams.

Man so many keyboard experts that could do a far better job than Bevo or the MC...

Can't understand why the club isn't bashing your door down to sign you up!

Sorry I forgot I'm not entitled to an opinion

How did not playing a ruckman versus The Tigers and Eagles work for us?

How did not tagging Danger or Selwood work out?

How has the change of tactics been for us?

How has any faith been shown in blokes by giving them one game in and others numerous changes this year?

How has playing Cleary injured blokes worked out for us also?

Yeah again everything red white and blue is perfect and we are traveling so well.

Lol followers will always be followers

Man so many keyboard experts that could do a far better job than Bevo or the MC...

Can't understand why the club isn't bashing your door down to sign you up!

So we only have an opinion if it agrees with the MC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back