Changes v. Suns - Jetta, Bennell, Weid, OMac IN / Spuds Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarry is not getting dropped. Neither is Viney or Brayshaw. These guys are getting their hands on the footy and can turn it around. Clarry seems very low on confidence and just needs to back himself in. I’d be more likely to drop AVB and Lockhart/Rivers. Bring in Nev and Weideman. If Bennell is right then perhaps the other one of Lockhart or Rivers.

Clarry is not getting dropped. Neither is Viney or Brayshaw. These guys are getting their hands on the footy and can turn it around. Clarry seems very low on confidence and just needs to back himself in. I’d be more likely to drop AVB and Lockhart/Rivers. Bring in Nev and Weideman. If Bennell is right then perhaps the other one of Lockhart or Rivers.
I'm very keen to see Weideman come in. 5th year on the list, I would've hoped that he'd be entrenched in our team by now as a key forward. He's shown he can play quality games of footy especially that Geelong final in 2018 when he was arguably bog. Would love to see him take the next step and establish himself in our best 22. Hoping he gets an opportunity soon, we need another tall forward in our side atm.

Needs to get traded for his and the Dees’ sakes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The problem is all these blokes are inside mids and play a very similar style. There's no point of difference. All go in the middle and do the same thing because that's what they do. Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney, Harmes, Jones, Petracca. Our star studded midfield are all the same player. Our recruiting has been so amateur. Salem, ANB and Melksham could go into the middle and do a decent enough job. We only really need Oliver and Petracca(who at least is emerging as a genuine star and can play forward). The rest are expendable in our midfield. Happy to trade all of them except Oliver/Petracca. Bring in blokes who can break away from packs with pace/strength and who can wait off a pack to receive who are also good smart ball users. Don't have to be elite kicks, just smart. Too many 1 demensional dumb mids on our list. I'd definitely be giving Sparrow a run at it in the coming weeks. Hopefully he's got a point of difference..

Unpopular opinion time.... Joel Smith, the obvious clangers aside, actually showed some devleopment IMO and some good defensive pressure/spoils at times. I think it was his best game this year, although the bar was fairly low there.

Also - Pickett isn't doing enough yet. Yes he is extremely exciting, but dropped a simple chest mark (did the same Rd 1) and also completely wasted that chance heading I50, as well as having limited touches of the ball.

I've long advocated Hunt and Fritsch over Hannan, but happy to be wrong here and say he completely showed them both up on the weekend. I also still maintain that we cannot maintain these 3, plus Melksham, in our forward line. We need a proper tall. It shows how far TMac has slipped that yesterday's game was the best he's played this year, yet he still barely had an impact.

Harmes needs to be in the guts, he is absolutely wasted down back. Had an instant impact in the final quarter.

For mine:

IN - Brown/Weid, Jones, Bennell, Jetta

OUT - Tomlinson, Pickett, Hunt, Brayshaw

Unpopular opinion time.... Joel Smith, the obvious clangers aside, actually showed some devleopment IMO and some good defensive pressure/spoils at times. I think it was his best game this year, although the bar was fairly low there.

Also - Pickett isn't doing enough yet. Yes he is extremely exciting, but dropped a simple chest mark (did the same Rd 1) and also completely wasted that chance heading I50, as well as having limited touches of the ball.

I've long advocated Hunt and Fritsch over Hannan, but happy to be wrong here and say he completely showed them both up on the weekend. I also still maintain that we cannot maintain these 3, plus Melksham, in our forward line. We need a proper tall. It shows how far TMac has slipped that yesterday's game was the best he's played this year, yet he still barely had an impact.

Harmes needs to be in the guts, he is absolutely wasted down back. Had an instant impact in the final quarter.

For mine:

IN - Brown/Weid, Jones, Bennell, Jetta

OUT - Tomlinson, Pickett, Hunt, Brayshaw
I'm kinda confused how you can praise Smith who's done * all in the 4 years he's been on the list but then criticize a bloke who's played 2 games

Brayshaw is averaging 16 disposals... This is supposed to be the third best kid of his age in the country
BT made the point the other day that he spends a lot of time on the bench... No idea why.

He's averaging 5 tackles too. Least of our problems right now.
Elephant in the room - Stynes was complicit with conolly and schwab in the engineering of the tanking which has doomed this club
100%.

I'm kinda confused how you can praise Smith who's done fu** all in the 4 years he's been on the list but then criticize a bloke who's played 2 games

I thought you'd be pleased I said Hannan played well!

I'm not in any way comparing Pickett & Smith - they are different players who play different roles and have had different careers. However, if you gave me the choice of OMac or Smith right now, I'd want Smith. If you gave me a choice of Jones/Bennell or Pickett right now up forward, I'd rather either of the first two.

Frustrating that he doesn't have an opportunity to develop in the VFL, but just my opinion - he's not impacting the game enough at present.

I thought you'd be pleased I said Hannan played well!

I'm not in any way comparing Pickett & Smith - they are different players who play different roles and have had different careers. However, if you gave me the choice of OMac or Smith right now, I'd want Smith. If you gave me a choice of Jones/Bennell or Pickett right now up forward, I'd rather either of the first two.

Frustrating that he doesn't have an opportunity to develop in the VFL, but just my opinion - he's not impacting the game enough at present.
I'll give ya a like for the Hannan reference.

Pickett ya just gotta let play, I'd be sending Jayden Hunt to a quarantine in a different state before I'd drop kozzie. He has a special talent Hunt doesn't.

Personally I think Smith looked horrible in defence, made some very athletic spoils and a couple good tackled but his positioning was horrific. He's learning how to defend in the AFL. That's crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT made the point the other day that he spends a lot of time on the bench... No idea why.

He's averaging 5 tackles too. Least of our problems right now.
100%.

I would like to see some different faces in the midfield, Harmes along with Trac is one of best kicking mids and can hit the scoreboard, Harmes needs to play more midfield. I wonder what type of form we could see Gus produce if he was given Olivers minutes. This week play oilver as the 3rd wheel in the middle and give him minutes forward.

Trac, Harmes, Gus - viney and oliver pinch hitting.

I would even like to see Salem give time in the middle and see his kicking forward of centre.

Bring in Weid, and allow Gawn to rest forward.

Try tmac on a wing when Gawn is forward.

Melbourne have stated even if the VFL gets going again this year , Casey won't field a team . With all the vic teams out of the state can't see how it can start again this season tbo .

A slightly less reactionary take than my first go:

Out:
Smith (obvious reasons, lacks the ability to football)
One of Oliver/Viney (they're just too similar, first hand on the ball, but get in each other's way and put teammates under the pump more often than not. If you keep both, play Oliver forward and use his overhead marking, quick hands and tackling inside 50. Put Brayshaw in the middle for a full game)
Lockhart (doesn't hold a candle to Jetta)
Hunt (think this is just about the end of the line for him, at least at Melbourne)
Melksham (he's either cooked, or needs a rocket)

In:
McDonald (better than Smith, takes second tall, hopefully allowing Lever to rediscover some semblance of form)
Jones
Jetta
Weideman (just play a ******* second tall)
Bennell (can kick the ball, can kick goals, I don't give a * about his forward pressure)

Lucky: Tomlinson, Lever, Rivers, vandenBerg

Brayshaw played his best in 2018 when Trac played forward and Viney was out most of the year. He’s being hurt by Trac being a full time mid and Viney being fit. As for Harmes. I love the way he goes about it and is more flexible than Brayshaw. Unless Brayshaw can develop himself as a half back or half forward his going to spend more time on the pine than he should.

I've been a big fan of Melksham since 2018 and even last year when he actually played he looked good, but this year he has been awful.
He’s certainly in a rut. One of our most talented. May benefit from the introduction of a second key forward. The way we’re playing is like we have extra talls there. Basically Tmac has to do it all. No wonder he’s struggling to take marks inside 50 and kick goals.

A slightly less reactionary take than my first go:

Out:
Smith (obvious reasons, lacks the ability to football)
One of Oliver/Viney (they're just too similar, first hand on the ball, but get in each other's way and put teammates under the pump more often than not. If you keep both, play Oliver forward and use his overhead marking, quick hands and tackling inside 50. Put Brayshaw in the middle for a full game)
Lockhart (doesn't hold a candle to Jetta)
Hunt (think this is just about the end of the line for him, at least at Melbourne)
Melksham (he's either cooked, or needs a rocket)

In:
McDonald (better than Smith, takes second tall, hopefully allowing Lever to rediscover some semblance of form)
Jones
Jetta
Weideman (just play a ******* second tall)
Bennell (can kick the ball, can kick goals, I don't give a fu** about his forward pressure)

Lucky: Tomlinson, Lever, Rivers, vandenBerg
Unfortunately i kind of agree with you on OMac. Lever for all the $$ we pay him should be playing on the 3rd tall forward options. I'd have a look at Sparrow and see if he brings anything other than what we have. Drop Viney and put a rocket under Oliver..

Fantastic stuff when youre playing for nothing more than to avoid the embarrassment of norf getting the first overall pick.

Like I said on page one, who cares at this point honestly? Discussing changes likes it's going to make some sort of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back