Changes v. Suns - Jetta, Bennell, Weid, OMac IN / Spuds Out

If people think weid i going to change our fortunes up forward, just watch as they bomb it over his head, he cops all the flack and gets dropped again

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coast are $2.15 lol
Some aspects of the market are whack

Kick a goal any time

Angus Brayshaw $1.87 - kicked 4 goals in 3 of last 15 games
Sam Day $2 - kicked 14 goals in 10 out of last 15 games
Izak Rankine $2 - Considering Sexton has kicked goals in 3/4 games and Ainsworth 4/5 games and Lambert, Higgins, Rioli, Castagna kicked 6 between them last week I like his odds.

If people think weid i going to change our fortunes up forward, just watch as they bomb it over his head, he cops all the flack and gets dropped again
Or he leaps heigh at a well weighted kick and does everything right but mark the ball.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
i don't know why people keep saying OMac in will now allow Lever to intercept. May and Smith usually took the key defenders allowing Lever the 3rd tall to work off, the same happened when OMac was in the team R1. the problem is the bad turnovers up the ground in stupid positions means alot of the time the ball comes in that quick we don't have time to set up a zone defence and allow Lever to intercept. he gets caught out guarding a man instead of guarding the space, which is what he does best. unless we use the ball better going forward and our mids and forwards apply more pressure, the same thing will happen no matter who is back there. the only likely difference will be that OMac wont have the pace to stick with his man on the lead and spoil like Smith could.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Pretty happy with those changes. Tomlinson hasn’t been doing a lot but somewhat surprised he was dropped. Loving Bennell and Nev back in. And finally another key forward. Also Omac can allow Lever to intercept finally.

This makes a lot of sense, i'm not a huge O'Mac fan but this gives Lever the opportunity to play the role he was actually drafted for and Bennell and Jetta just need to be in the team.

Pretty happy with these changes although i would have dropped Lockhart before Rivers.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
i don't know why people keep saying OMac in will now allow Lever to intercept. May and Smith usually took the key defenders allowing Lever the 3rd tall to work off, the same happened when OMac was in the team R1. the problem is the bad turnovers up the ground in stupid positions means alot of the time the ball comes in that quick we don't have time to set up a zone defence and allow Lever to intercept. he gets caught out guarding a man instead of guarding the space, which is what he does best. unless we use the ball better going forward and our mids and forwards apply more pressure, the same thing will happen no matter who is back there. the only likely difference will be that OMac wont have the pace to stick with his man on the lead and spoil like Smith could.

Fair height difference, Smith isn't a KPD at 185cm so no doubt Lever was expected to get back and help.

Oscar and May make much more sense with Lever the ability to play the Howe role.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fair height difference, Smith isn't a KPD at 185cm so no doubt Lever was expected to get back and help.

Oscar and May make much more sense with Lever the ability to play the Howe role.
not really, Smith is 192cms i think and has a decent leap on him. i seen him kill more marking attempts in the last couple of weeks than you'll see OMac get to all year.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
not really, Smith is 192cms i think and has a decent leap on him. i seen him kill more marking attempts in the last couple of weeks than you'll see OMac get to all year.

Ah i read he was 1.85, no idea where that was from.

I'm no Oscar fan but he is a better defender than Smith, Smith has played 1 decent game in the past 3 weeks.

To be fair i wish we had another option but we really don't.....for all the money and draft picks we have spent on defenders you would really think it shouldn't be a part of our game we would need to work on.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

I'm no Oscar fan but he is a better defender than Smith, Smith has played 1 decent game in the past 3 weeks.

To be fair i wish we had another option but we really don't.....for all the money and draft picks we have spent on defenders you would really think it shouldn't be a part of our game we would need to work on.

Our defence is the least of our issues to be fair.

Jon Koncak

Baseline leaner
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GS Warriors, NY Giants, ORE Ducks
Or he leaps heigh at a well weighted kick and does everything right but mark the ball.

That is exactly the scenario I think of when I think of Weid. The way he presents and times his leaps has always been impressive but he just can’t clunk it. Was optimistic that maybe his strength needed to catch up to his technique and it would all come together but would be very surprised if it does at this stage.

That being said our KPF stocks are virtually non existent so he should get as many games as possible this year, especially if/when we’re eliminated from the finals race.

Huge opp this week against one of the few teams with inexperienced KPDs.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne

yeah im not saying Smith is the answer, i'm just saying that i don't think swapping him for Oscar is going to make any difference to how Lever plays. he will still get caught out if we let them move the ball quickly. i don't think our defence was that much of a problem the last few weeks, they stood up ok under a barrage of immense pressure at times. the problems are further up the ground.

Back