Analysis Changes v Suns - Round 10@Mars

Remove this Banner Ad

Normally there is free burgers at Macca's Ballarat if Jacko Macrae gets more than 25 disposals and we win. Well this week there is a bundle and our 3 Macca'S Jacko, McComb and McNeill need to get more than 45 disposals. Jacko will need to get 40 of those himself for this to happen.

Just screams Bevo pick that he doesn’t want to be wrong on, also repeatedly thinking we can change & beat good signs with the huge liability’s constantly found out in the team (McComb the best example right now but not the only example) = arrogance
How is it arrogance? You're acting like we are keeping a superstar of the game out for him. Roarke/Butler/Jones are the 3 missing out 1 is an average role player at best 1 shits the bed everytime at AFL level and 1 has done nothing at VFL level to justify selection. Is McComb good no is his disposal poor yes but to suggest there is some level of arrogance behind his selction with what we currently have available is laughable

I don't think McComb has looked great and would be particularly concerned about his disposal (which has looked very poor) when playing against better teams with more pressure/less time - but I get that we probably don't have other competent players kicking the door down. I often read those criticisms as ongoing frustration with the Match Committee giving some players multiple games in the side even though they seem to have poor games, when others don't seem to get the same chance and are not selected when there is an opportunity to do so. There's selection integrity in terms of players needing to justify selection through training, attitude, discipline etc. but there's also selection integrity in being consistent in providing opportunity at AFL level.

But obviously those saying we don't know what happens behind the club's doors are correct, so maybe there's more to it that we can't possibly be across. It's just a struggle when the only evidence you really have to make your own judgement are performances on game day and they often don't seem to chime with selection.

I'm actually less concerned with the McComb selection than McNeil, because the latter has looked like he can't get near it and there doesn't seem to be the tackles/pressure acts you would want from someone in that position. Maybe I'm just not seeing it as I haven't been able to get to a game since Good Friday, but I'd hope he picks up and has a good game this week and maybe grabs a goal or two.

On the bright side, Sweet and West getting another game is good and hopefully they can play well. I suspect Sweet goes out whatever happens once English is fit (rightly or wrongly) but West could/should cement a place in the 22 if he can play to somewhere near his potential. It's also likely that the teamsheet looks more imposing in a month or so if Bruce, McLean and JJ can get back - just hope that we're still vaguely in the hunt for finals by then as any losses in the next few weeks make the back half of the fixture even more imposing.

How is it arrogance? You're acting like we are keeping a superstar of the game out for him. Roarke/Butler/Jones are the 3 missing out 1 is an average role player at best 1 shits the bed everytime at AFL level and 1 has done nothing at VFL level to justify selection. Is McComb good no is his disposal poor yes but to suggest there is some level of arrogance behind his selction with what we currently have available is laughable
My problem is more around the fact that he needs to be replaced with a similar type. He could be replaced by any number of players on the list as we just have zero use for an additional crappy inside midfielder to hide on a flank - I couldn’t give a * who he’s keeping out to be honest mate, he’s a liability - play someone else, go in a man down if we have to would be less harmful to our ball movement

My problem is more around the fact that he needs to be replaced with a similar type. He could be replaced by any number of players on the list as we just have zero use for an additional crappy inside midfielder to hide on a flank - I couldn’t give a duck who he’s keeping out to be honest mate, he’s a liability - play someone else, go in a man down if we have to would be less harmful to our ball movement
9 of his 13 disposals were effective last week and he had 3 clangers not exactly as bad as you're making out.

4 kicks and 9 handballs.
3 of his 4 kicks were clangers.
Not exactly as good as you're making out.
I never suggested it was good but if we want to talk about harmful to our ball movement where is the same energy to get Williams out of the team? His ball use has been horrific all year but since he had a decent year last year seems to be immune from discussion unlike the McComb/McNeil/Roarke types

McComb isn't being picked ahead of Crozier, they play an entirely different position, and reshuffling isn't exactly simple.

If anything, McComb is keeping Roarke out (personally not a fan of that choice regardless). I imagine once McLean is back to full fitness, he plays in McCombs spot

I think its a fair argument to say that the majority on here would prefer Crozier played in a different role rather than Mccomb played in a different role.

Mccomb is an inside mid at VFL level, who then becomes a hybrid wing half forward at AFL level. Id rather Crozier with the role change than Mccomb.

Or simply move crozier back into the backline and switch out daniel/williams.

I think its a fair argument to say that the majority on here would prefer Crozier played in a different role rather than Mccomb played in a different role.

Mccomb is an inside mid at VFL level, who then becomes a hybrid wing half forward at AFL level. Id rather Crozier with the role change than Mccomb.

Or simply move crozier back into the backline and switch out daniel/williams.
Yeah Daniel to Half forward for McComb and Croz in for Daniel just makes us a far better team at both sides of the ground.

I don’t think Jones is close to ready but I’d even prefer to just sit him chained to the FP all day if he had 5 touches and a goal & 15 PAs it’s an upgrade on what we’re getting from McComb.

Schache as a utility who can go anywhere on the ground = upgrade on McComb

Jamarra deep with Naughty, Cordy 3rd tall and Buku playing a bit higher instead of McComb = upgrade

I never suggested it was good but if we want to talk about harmful to our ball movement where is the same energy to get Williams out of the team? His ball use has been horrific all year but since he had a decent year last year seems to be immune from discussion unlike the McComb/McNeil/Roarke types

I reckon nearly everyone on here has been on board with dropping Williams for a week or two to get some confidence back. It’s a pretty common view.

Suns getting talked up after 2 nice wins, prime to lay an egg knowing their history.

I reckon nearly everyone on here has been on board with dropping Williams for a week or two to get some confidence back. It’s a pretty common view.
The view is common yet there doesn't seem to be the same level of hate thrown towards it, I am yet to see Bevo call arrogant week after week for playing him. McComb is filling a void until Hunter comes back and does it to a better level then what we currently have the only one close is Roarke but its a bit of a same same.

I am an advocate to keep playing Williams as he working back to his form of last year.

One thing that stats don't take into account is the kick the player is trying to execute. Williams and Dale seem to go for the high risk and high reward kick. The great thing with Dale is he is hitting them more often than not a real weapon and he is a step above everyone at the moment.

A 20 meter pass to a free player who is standing still is much easier than a 40 meter pass to a moving player in traffic that opens up the whole ground because of the angle it gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The view is common yet there doesn't seem to be the same level of hate thrown towards it, I am yet to see Bevo call arrogant week after week for playing him. McComb is filling a void until Hunter comes back and does it to a better level then what we currently have the only one close is Roarke but its a bit of a same same.
Williams struggling is still streets ahead of anything McComb can dish up. Personally I'd move Daniel to the wing and have Crozier back.

McComb is only ahead of Nick Bruton as the worst player I've ever seen pull on the red, white & blue.

That's not McComb's fault, I'm sure he is busting his gut out there for the team. It's not his fault he gets picked and he does his best, his best is just not good enough, that's fine, neither is mine. It's fair and square on Beveridge for picking him.

It seems to me that Beveridge has put his goolies on the line with McComb and intends to do whatever it takes to save face and justify his decision to have him on the list. It's just pig-headed and detrimental to the team.

Williams struggling is still streets ahead of anything McComb can dish up. Personally I'd move Daniel to the wing and have Crozier back.

McComb is only ahead of Nick Bruton as the worst player I've ever seen pull on the red, white & blue.

That's not McComb's fault, I'm sure he is busting his gut out there for the team. It's not his fault he gets picked and he does his best, his best is just not good enough, that's fine, neither is mine. It's fair and square on Beveridge for picking him.

It seems to me that Beveridge has put his goolies on the line with McComb and intends to do whatever it takes to save face and justify his decision to have him on the list. It's just pig-headed and detrimental to the team.
Changing the whole structure of the team for a player of Croziers current output is never going to happen especially when you take into account the difference in player between Crozier and Daniel. McComb is not a good player I understand that i'm not suggesting he is good in the slightest but the other options we have are just not that good or doing anything to justify selection before him. McNeil has been worse then him the last 2 weeks as well but yet again our "depth" players are not doing anything to justify selecting them

Mccomb is the new the Gardner for us supporters. The thing is we judge new players mainly on skill level or one strong aspect of their offensive game like pace, marking or ball use. The above 2 have very little of these attributes. We have warmed to Gardner (The Fist) because he is a defender and has one very good defensive skill the ability to punch the ball and half the aerial contest.

McComb does not have this luxury because of size and where he plays. I am sure he tries very hard but instead of being a scottish hairdresser (Mc Comb) with neat and tidy skills he is more a Butcher of the ball.

I am an advocate to keep playing Williams as he working back to his form of last year.

One thing that stats don't take into account is the kick the player is trying to execute. Williams and Dale seem to go for the high risk and high reward kick. The great thing with Dale is he is hitting them more often than not a real weapon and he is a step above everyone at the moment.

A 20 meter pass to a free player who is standing still is much easier than a 40 meter pass to a moving player in traffic that opens up the whole ground because of the angle it gets.

Problem is most of the season Williams hasn’t even been hitting the easy kicks. Bev has let him play through it but has quietly moved him away from the backline where his errors are most damaging.

Williams was a very good player until the GF but has the yips. Still plenty calling for him to have a spell. But you can’t compare McComb to him as McComb has no runs on the board as a contributor at AFL level.

McComb clearly has a crack and good on him for persevering in the VFL for years, but he’s low upside, has been very poor by foot and doesn’t seem particularly suited to the wing.

Changing the whole structure of the team for a player of Croziers current output is never going to happen especially when you take into account the difference in player between Crozier and Daniel. McComb is not a good player I understand that i'm not suggesting he is good in the slightest but the other options we have are just not that good or doing anything to justify selection before him. McNeil has been worse then him the last 2 weeks as well but yet again our "depth" players are not doing anything to justify selecting them

You don’t need to change the team’s whole structure to replace McComb with Crozier. It’s not like bringing in a second ruck or something.

Mccomb is the new the Gardner for us supporters. The thing is we judge new players mainly on skill level or one strong aspect of their offensive game like pace, marking or ball use. The above 2 have very little of these attributes. We have warmed to Gardner (The Fist) because he is a defender and has one very good defensive skill the ability to punch the ball and half the aerial contest.

McComb does not have this luxury because of size and where he plays. I am sure he tries very hard but instead of being a scottish hairdresser (Mc Comb) with neat and tidy skills he is more a Butcher of the ball.

He’s hard at the contest. As a team we’ve been a bit soft this year with our contested efforts. This is why I think he’s in the team atm. I just don’t think the trade off is worth it. But I get it.

It seems that the weather is going to clear tomorrow with the forecast upgraded from 'mostly sunny' to a 'sunny' May day of 16 degrees and only a slight wind. I guess that we might expect both teams to favour the SE boundary to utilise the breeze assistance with goal kicking at both ends. That's good news for those on the hill who will be close to the action. I'll close my posts on this thread wishing the team good luck for tomorrow, and for those planning to go to the game, have a great day and enjoy the fresh air and near perfect footy conditions.

Ballcast.PNG

Visitors to VUWO ahead of Indigenous round: Magic McLean and Alan Thorpe

281565070_10159767399012487_6154028353546437249_n.jpg

Any particular reason you are supporting us to beat the Suns? This is highly unusual behaviour from a Sydney fan. Do your fellow Swans supporters know about this? Don’t worry, we’ll keep it quiet 🤐 😉
Old mate spams the anti-Dogs threads on the main board, then comes on here for SuperCoach info lol

I'd prefer Crozier to Tim O'Brien any day

Only thing I can think of that is keeping Crozier out of the senior side is his disposal, he dumps it out of defensive 50 at times (but so do our other defenders)

Only thing I can think of that is keeping Crozier out of the senior side is his disposal, he dumps it out of defensive 50 at times (but so do our other defenders)

I actually don't think Crozier offers much to our back line without his intercept marking which he seems to have lost.

I'd still prefer him in the team over McComb even as a forward though. He wasn't a complete hack up forward, he had 30 scoring shots in his last season at Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back