Changes v Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Hannan - yes. He's been persisted with too much and is a miss.

McComb - somewhat but as a mature age role player the goal posts shift a little bit. This is no longer a discussion of persisting with a player who is viewed as a long-term contributor despite middling early returns, it is a matter of a guy being brought in to play an immediate role being relied upon too heavily. If you want to just look at the optics of it - sure, you can count him.

McNeil - I'm not sure I follow your point with this one. I don't think he has been overly persisted with at any point. If you mean that he should have been, he has been consistently solid but I think it's difficult to argue that he has been excellent enough to make his non-selection baffling or wrong.

Having a 100% strike rate is not a requirement for being good at something. These examples, even if you want to stretch them to mean something, aren't close to countering the reverse examples above.
McNeil has been given more of a run in the guts than West ( and some others) is my point. West played as an inside mid as a junior and was compared to Jack Viney. The only time I've seen West play in the guts was a few years ago when B. Smith got knocked out and West was moved on ball. He was excellent. And never played there again.
Bevo throws so many darts at the board, sooner or later one will hit the bullseye. Good on him for having the balls to do it. I wouldn't call it genius though.

McNeil has been given more of a run in the guts than West ( and some others) is my point. West played as an inside mid as a junior and was compared to Jack Viney. The only time I've seen West play in the guts was a few years ago when B. Smith got knocked out and West was moved on ball. He was excellent. And never played there again.
Bevo throws so many darts at the board, sooner or later one will hit the bullseye. Good on him for having the balls to do it. I wouldn't call it genius though.
But he might not have been excellent in the eyes of the coaches, who were looking for certain indicators…
Or maybe they’re just biased campaigners.

Last edited:
Remember when Cameron Faulkner was compared to Andrew McLeod. How'd that work out?

When has McNeil ever played more than a bit part on a wing let alone through the centre of the ground?

What games he's played have been as a small forward.

McNeil has never got near the midfield so what is your point? West can't get a kick in the VFL midfield now what he did in the u18s is irrelevant now

Centre Bounce Attendance since 2020 McNeil 0 West 10 try not to lie so bad to justify your opinion

Last edited:
TBH the only time I ever recall McSteal running through the guts is on a quick transition/turnover from our D50. I don't think he's ever had a run in the middle as a midfielder. Not at AFL level anyway.

McNeil has never got near the midfield so what is your point? West can't get a kick in the VFL midfield now what he did in the u18s is irrelevant now

Centre Bounce Attendance since 2020 McNeil 0 West 10 try not to lie so bad to justify your opinion
Often wonder whether some posters here either watch games, are having a laugh or really have no idea.

Mc Neil for his age and where he plays and how his is developing deserves the opportunity this week with JJ out. No one else available actually comes close

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The alternative argument is that each player is treated equally, with reasonable KPIs and expectations to hold their position that are only really obvious to coaches and people who know the ins and outs of what we're looking for. Things like holding structure, playing the role set out for them, ground coverage statistics, etc. Maybe these players weren't meeting them, but JOD is?

Bev has his flaws, and it's possible we're seeing one of them in action. That said, very few of the players that the fans have felt were "unfairly treated" have gone on to be successful, even the ones that have moved to other clubs. In contrast, most of the players that Bev has shown the faith with against the weight of opinions here (e.g., A Jones, English, Baker, Scott, Gardner) have gone on to be at least serviceable contributors.

I actually think Bev's ability to judge who is ready to come in and who should be persisted with is one of his greatest strengths. There have been positional misses but very rarely does he invest in a player for no reward, and very rarely do we lose depth players that go on to be good players elsewhere.

I wouldn't have played JOD this week and I don't totally understand why he's in the team, but this is one area where I'm prepared to back Bev and see what happens. I think the bold part of your post in particular is really unfair speculation.
I agree with this. It is hard to know what the coaches expectations are unless you are in the MC. I recall people melting about English and Gardner. Myself included. Both are now good players and have a fair bit of development in them. Coaching is such as a tough job. Developing players is an art form in my opinion.

About the game so I post it here

The Western Bulldogs are going to new lengths to prepare for their game against Gold Coast in Darwin on Saturday night.

With the weather set to peak at 32 degrees on Saturday, the Bulldogs are playing in some seriously foreign conditions for late May.

Given the weather will be so different to what they’re used to, AFL Media’s Josh Gabelich says the Bulldogs have been spending some extra time in the sauna across the last fortnight.

“This is an interesting one because they're heading to the Northern Territory,” Gabelich told SEN Sportsday.

“They've just landed in Darwin as we speak (on Thursday) but they’ve been preparing for this for the past fortnight.

“This is in terms of their heat training because they're in a sauna (playing in Darwin).

“They have been training in a sauna on the bikes (at Whitten Oval), they’ve done four sessions on either side of Ballarat.”

On top of training in saunas, Gabelich says the Dogs are also preparing in some unique ways like putting detergent on footballs to mimic slippery conditions and drinking only room temperature water – something they’d been doing for two weeks.

“The last time they played was single-digit degrees (against Adelaide in Ballarat) but they're going to play in 31 degrees on Saturday and in humidity.

“They’re doing a few other things like the old school detergent on the footy … they did that out at Skinner Reserve yesterday.

“But the other one I found quite fascinating is that they've been drinking room temperature water for the past fortnight.

“Now, there is some scientific background to this.

“No ice, no chilled water, they’re getting prepared that way.

“These are just the little incremental gains that the Western Bulldogs are going through this weekend.”
On the science of drinking room temperature water and hot water in hot climates, Chinese people will tell you that drinking cold water is not a healthy thing to do. warm water appears to help reduce weight as it stimulates a person's metabolism and keeps you alert. so they say. Not sure how true this might be, but i don't know many Chinese overweight people who drink hot water. I lived in China btw. Hope I MAKE SENSE, :)

Last edited:
That’s all well and good, but he is invisible as a forward - we’re a man down with him on the ground. Either he plays down back over TOB/Gardner or he continues to develop in the 2s.

Going to cost us soon if we continue to be this stubborn and think we can win playing one down
That’s rubbish, he wasn’t nearly as bad as you make out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a McNeil fan and want him to get an extended run. Without knowing what the coaches specifically want from him I am assuming it is pressure and they are happy with performances . For me the area he needs to improve is number of possessions but pressure acts is the reason he currently keeps his spot.
That’s an aside what I came on here to ask is - didn’t he come to us as a winger?

On the science of drinking room temperature water and hot water in hot climates, Chinese people will tell you that drinking cold water is not a healthy thing to do. warm water appears to help reduce weight as it stimulates a person's metabolism and keeps you alert. so they say. Not sure how true this might be, but i don't know many Chinese overweight people who drink hot water. I lived in China btw. Hope I MAKE SENSE, :)
I'm going to try that straight away :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back