Unofficial Preview Changes v Swans @ Gabba Round 14 blockbuster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s right but look at his season and you will see he is very inconsistant. One good game Three where he is rarely sighted.
That was my point.
Hippy is the cream on the top, not a week in week out dominant forward I hoped he would be.

So, with this logic we should drop Hippy for three games now that he has kicked 4 goals?

Brilliant strategy. I can only imagine how that builds up the confidence of players.

You're a genius DERRINALPHIL

Who do you think we should select in his place while he's toiling away in the ressies?

This ended up a long post but i am concerned about out outside game.
Our wings have been a problem for 2 years, so our outside game has suffered considerably.
Berry is not going great, but he is slightly in front of Wilmot and others at present. Sad but true.
Wilmot has been okay on the wing but i think he is better at half back. He should return to that position.
The rest are fill ins from the midfield.
Excluding today's game below are the midfield players filling in on the wing up to the Bye round.
Excluded from the list is Wilmot & Berry as they mostly played solo wing.
Three others excluded as they also played wing when picked. Robertson 12 wing attendances (1 game R1), Sharp 12, 12 & 21 (3 games), Ah Chee 5 as sub (1 game).

McCluggage 93 wing attendances over all 11 games
Bailey 63 over 10 games
Ashcroft 28 over 4 games (16 v Demons)
Zorko 24 over 9 games
Gunston 16 over 6 games
Answerth 8 over 2 games
Dunkley 7 over 3 games
Prior 1 over 1 game

The coaches may believe this is an okay solution as we are 8 & 4 after 12 games.
I think it needs a changeup but what can they do. More importantly what are they willing to do.
Ah Chee could go to the wing but i see much of the same with that change.

The best option i see going forward is McCluggage back to solo wing and Berry bench wing relief.
That would require one of Dev/Lyons/Answerth inclusion in the 22 but that is okay with me.

So, who gets that other wing starting spot?.
They could try Fletcher as he looks like a true winger to me but untried at AFL level, so unlikely.
I will go by elimination on the players listed above as the coaches have used them to date.

Bailey: Not having a good year possibly because of playing wing and a little midfield time. So, no. Back to being a forward for him.
Zorko: Could play a game or two solo wing but at 34 years old and another 12 + games would be too much to ask. So, no.
Gunston: A definite no.
Dunkley: A definite no.
Answerth: I just don't think he is a wing so no.
Sharp: Improved this year but don't think he has the class for solo wing yet.
Ah Chee: Proven solid player but he does not improve us any more than Berry & Wilmot.
Prior: A few to many chances with very mixed results so no.
Robertson: Possibly but his round 1 wing game was poor. Think he played some wing today but will wait and see how many wing attendance he had.

Ashcroft: He is not a natural wing player but has lots of class and i have actually settled on him.
He had 16 wing attendances v the Demons win in round 2. However, he also had 8 CBA's so some midfield time also.
31 disposals, 1 goal 1 behind, 0 marks, 1 tackle, 9 clearances (2 center, 7 stoppage),

So Ashcroft one wing McCluggage the other with Berry bench wing relief.
Either Dev/Lyons/Answerth to cover McCluggage usual midfield time

So, with this logic we should drop Hippy for three games now that he has kicked 4 goals?

Brilliant strategy. I can only imagine how that builds up the confidence of players.

You're a genius DERRINALPHIL

Who do you think we should select in his place while he's toiling away in the ressies?
BB you have misunderstood my original post. I never asked for Hippy to be dropped but I pointed out that with other underperforming forwards his inconsistency becomes a bigger problem.
Obviously Gone/ston is a bigger issue, as is McCarthy and Raynor. Bailey has gone backwards a mile.
However I was at the Giants game and Hippy played two very poor quarters right in front of me and Rich played two wonderful quarters in front of me( change of ends).
Hippy won’t be dropped and Gone/ston won’t be either . One is a problem. One is not.

This is the side Fagan should select next week, but he is too weak and invested in his pets.

B: Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB: Coleman, Andrews, McKenna
C: Ah Chee, Robertson, Wilmot
HF: McCarthy, Daniher, Cameron
FF: Rayner, Hipwood, Fort

Followers: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale

I/C: Lyons, Ashcroft, Bailey, Zorko

This is the side Fagan should select next week, but he is too weak and invested in his pets.

B: Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB: Coleman, Andrews, McKenna
C: Ah Chee, Robertson, Wilmot
HF: McCarthy, Daniher, Cameron
FF: Rayner, Hipwood, Fort

Followers: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale

I/C: Lyons, Ashcroft, Bailey, Zorko
That is 20 of the 22 I posted as my preferred team in the "Fages and the coaching group" thread.

Only differences are I haven't selected Lyons or Ah Chee - I went for McCluggage and Lohmann instead.

That is 20 of the 22 I posted as my preferred team in the "Fages and the coaching group" thread.

Only differences are I haven't selected Lyons or Ah Chee - I went for Bailey(if played as a small forward) and Lohmann instead.
Great minds thinking alike. We really need to keep Berry and McCluggage and out of the middle. They are no value at the restart. Lyons is a clearance machine and he is strong enough to not be brushed off like McCluggage and physically sound enough to not squib it like Berry. Lyons on the bench is such an obvious move.

We need to go with a core midfield group of Neale, Dunkley, Lyons, Ashcroft and Bailey. We can also rotate Zorko and Rayner through the middle.

McKenna is arguably one of our fastest best 22 and yet late in the game he was chasing down the wing a Hawthorne player who whilst bouncing the ball could not be caught. Thats not a knock on McKenna, but seems to me we need some further speed.

I have no doubt we bounce back hard against the Swans at the GABBA but my expectations of a decent Prelim: performance, or even participating in the 'big dance' have been dashed. Fast teams and/or that chaotic style of forward pressure play of a Richmond (who won yesterday) leave us badly exposed.

McKenna is arguably one of our fastest best 22 and yet late in the game he was chasing down the wing a Hawthorne player who whilst bouncing the ball could not be caught. Thats not a knock on McKenna, but seems to me we need some further speed.

I have no doubt we bounce back hard against the Swans at the GABBA but my expectations of a decent Prelim: performance, or even participating in the 'big dance' have been dashed. Fast teams and/or that chaotic style of forward pressure play of a Richmond (who won yesterday) leave us badly exposed.
Overall we are not a fast team, our players with pace that could be considered are James Madden, Kai Lohmann, Harry Sharp.

Overall we are not a fast team, our players with pace that could be considered are James Madden, Kai Lohmann, Harry Sharp.
yep, i am now 'glass half empty', usually I am not like that after a loss, but after watching Port and Dogs on Friday night and what happened to us yesterday it is pretty obvious that we are not a fast team and don't spread. The amount of times the Hawkes created a simple overlap on the wing coming out of defence that led to an inside 50 was numerous.

Not sure if the club does it, but if not, I would like to see a sprint coach employed for the off season, not just for running style but also specific weight training that aids in sprinting. You cannot make a person fast, but you can make them faster.
Also in the off season hire a ex NRL player to teach AFL players how to tackle. For a tall person I don't think I have seen Payne give away too many penalties for a high tackle. In his Bio it states he played a bit of rugby as a kid so probably was taught. Not picking on Starc (he is a very solid player), but he gave away a penalty for a high tackle, and a couple of our forwards gave away the odd penalty for high tackles when we needed to keep the ball locked in.

I have maintained from the beginning of this year with our new additions, and a relatively reasonable draw, a decent prelim: performance or making the GF is a minimum, otherwise we have arguably regressed and perhaps there needs to be some changes, and not just to the playing roster.

sorry, that's my rant for the weekend.

yep, i am now 'glass half empty', usually I am not like that after a loss, but after watching Port and Dogs on Friday night and what happened to us yesterday it is pretty obvious that we are not a fast team and don't spread. The amount of times the Hawkes created a simple overlap on the wing coming out of defence that led to an inside 50 was numerous.

Not sure if the club does it, but if not, I would like to see a sprint coach employed for the off season, not just for running style but also specific weight training that aids in sprinting. You cannot make a person fast, but you can make them faster.
Also in the off season hire a ex NRL player to teach AFL players how to tackle. For a tall person I don't think I have seen Payne give away too many penalties for a high tackle. In his Bio it states he played a bit of rugby as a kid so probably was taught. Not picking on Starc (he is a very solid player), but he gave away a penalty for a high tackle, and a couple of our forwards gave away the odd penalty for high tackles when we needed to keep the ball locked in.

I have maintained from the beginning of this year with our new additions, and a relatively reasonable draw, a decent prelim: performance or making the GF is a minimum, otherwise we have arguably regressed and perhaps there needs to be some changes, and not just to the playing roster.

sorry, that's my rant for the weekend.
Something I haven't mentioned before about this game but you triggered my memory... Hawks shrugged off and evaded an inordinate amount of tackles, they played like the big brutish bullies and we played like the feather weight rookies.

Something I haven't mentioned before about this game but you triggered my memory... Hawks shrugged off and evaded an inordinate amount of tackles, they played like the big brutish bullies and we played like the feather weight rookies.
It was obvious that the effort wasn't there once they started to get on top of us.

Lucky we fluked those 3 goals near the siren at half time or it would've been a whitewash.

When the effort's not there the coaching staff really need to take that on board this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The “game” has changed again, where the best teams relay on run, work rate and skills.

Our current game plan does not rely on run or work rate. Quite the opposite, like Carlton’s game plan, it relies on stoppages and simply trying to move the ball forward.

Most good teams are now set up behind and wide of the ball, to rebound the ball from a turnover.

We have the players on the list to play the style, but they are young, in Sharp, Lohmann and Fletcher.

At Sandringham, Ashcroft was a running machine providing that run and hand ball from defensive 50 to the forward 50.

That’s almost totally gone from his game at Brisbane.

Ok, I’m off to Bunnings and helping dad move, for the day.

State league affiliate: Brisbane (VFL)
This weekend: Box Hill v Brisbane at Box Hill City Oval, Saturday June 10, 12.05pm AEST

MATCH CENTRE Check out all the stats from Brisbane's clash

As always it was veteran Jarryd Lyons dominating the stats for Brisbane, gathering a team-high 31 disposals including seven clearances in the Lions' 19-point loss to Box Hill on Saturday.

Yes it did seem like that. I know the soft cap is under pressure, but surely adding a part time or casual sprint coach and/or a tackling coach for the pre season would be of some benefit.

I think we’ll likely see Zorks for Clug, Ah Chee for Prior and Coleman for Rich(Inj)

Players like Gunston and Berry will stay in.

I’d love to see Fort/Lohmann/Fletcher considered though.
I can't see any justification whatsoever for playing Gunston, he's typical of the very reason we get creamed on the outside . Apart from the fact he's useless at getting it himself.

If Fages is so pig headed to keep picking Gunston it'll be Exhibit A of why he'll never take us anywhere in finals. We need to be trying better options. Now. While there's still time.

No more Gardiner.
If Rich can’t run anymore he has to go too until he gets his fitness up to an elite level (which won’t happen anyway).

I can't see any justification whatsoever for playing Gunston, he's typical of the very reason we get creamed on the outside . Apart from the fact he's useless at getting it himself.

If Fages is so pig headed to keep picking Gunston it'll be Exhibit A of why he'll never take us anywhere in finals. We need to be trying better options. Now. While there's still time.
Until the forwards learn whatever it is he’s meant to be “teaching” them he’ll stay in the team. My guess is he’ll keep “teaching” them until the end of next season.

Until the forwards learn whatever it is he’s meant to be “teaching” them he’ll stay in the team. My guess is he’ll keep “teaching” them until the end of next season.
The total irony is that all of our forwards are very experienced . So you bring in a plodder who can't get the ball himself to teach them what ? He can't even do the bit whatever he's meant to be teaching them.

Never seen a selection do so much damage and hinder the development of a team. Exclude Fev. That might seem like a biggish statement but we get flooded then they cream us with overlap on the outside. Part of the reason is someone like him in there. We're desperate for someone more dynamic who can get their own ball and lay tackles.

I'd like to see Fagan just tear them to shreds and make them accountable. Tell them you guys want to take this jumper for granted, you are out. Set some standards, tell the team I don't care who you are, I'm not going to accept that anymore. Then stick the team sheet to the board with:

Out: Prior, McCluggage (he is not dropped on effort obviously), Rich, Gunston, McCarthy and Berry (Bailey on notice)
In: Fletcher, Ah Chee, Coleman, Forte, Lohmann, Zorko

I'd like to see Fagan just tear them to shreds and make them accountable. Tell them you guys want to take this jumper for granted, you are out. Set some standards, tell the team I don't care who you are, I'm not going to accept that anymore. Then stick the team sheet to the board with:

Out: Prior, McCluggage (he is not dropped on effort obviously), Rich, Gunston, McCarthy and Berry (Bailey on notice)
In: Fletcher, Ah Chee, Coleman, Forte, Lohmann, Zorko
:thumbsu: Team selection is your forte Sproj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back