Changes v Sydney - IN: White & Wagner, OUT Salem & Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance the Weid comes in to allow TMac to go back and help stop Buddy. Would prefer him to continue his good form in the VFL though but important game.

No defender in the AFL can stop Buddy when Buddy is on, Chip Frawley, probably the best performing one on one defender against Franklin historically(yes that includes Scarlett, Scarlett is top 3 of all time but he simply struggled against Buddy) even had Buddy kicking three goals on him every game. Geelong didn't even put Scarlett on Franklin each time they played, they'd have Scarlett getting his clean sheets vs Tim Boyle and Roughhead and instead focus on winning the midfield battle, because as great as Scarlett was, Buddy was simply better.

If we win the midfield battle and cut down service to the forward fifty, we have won the battle against Buddy. We can't do much more else than that. Carlton beat Sydney because Carlton midfield was better. Collingwood beat Sydney because Collingwood won the midfield battle. Buddy had two goal assists in the last three minutes against Collingwood, Henry Schade, Alex Silvagni, Joel Hamling, Alex Rance, Gerard Pique and Kawhi Leonard all have no chance at stopping Buddy on his day. Maybe Liam Jones can but that's it /s

Yup agree with this. No point putting to much time into Franklin. Sure try and stop him kicking 13 but no matter how well you defend him he will still play 5 minutes of unstoppable footy. Just gotta make sure you are in front when it happens.
Having some more outs is bad but Goowin is all about working the positives, so this week he can keep Sydney guessing as to what our forward set up will look like quarter to quarter, because it could look like almost anything. It also means we have a couple of more fresh players in, which means there's going to be 4 or 5 guys who won't have played three games with 6 day breaks in a row. On that basis I hope he brings in the fittest runners we have in the VFL to replace Garlett and Salem, cause we're gonna need them to work extra hard late in quarters this week.

I like this angle, our forward line has been better this year when we have changed it up mid quarter because we catch opponents out.

Teams can set up their defensive structure around weid if he plays. If he doesn't then we keep rolling different blokes and their anchor defender doesn't have a starting point.
Gawn can rest forward too and be a presence if we need it. His marking will be better second time around

Also 2 years ago if we were playing without Salem/Hogan/Watts/Jones/Garlett plus Joel Smith who can play as well I'd have not even bothered watching. We are such a different team now. I'm Cannon82 on this, I can't see us losing no matter how many we lose

Would like Gawn to embarrass Sinclair as the spud he is so that Tippett comes back in please k thx.

Tippett is going to miss a few more weeks. Therefore I retract this statement and predict Gawn gets embarrassed by Sinclair who is a superstar.

Frost seems about as perfect a match up for Franklin as you can get. nek minnut: we play Oscar on him.

Agree with this. Frost is agile, fast, can jump, and has a great tank. From a purely physical point of view the only thing Franklin has well over frost is strength, and it's not like Oscar can solve that headache.

Agree with this. Frost is agile, fast, can jump, and has a great tank. From a purely physical point of view the only thing Franklin has well over frost is strength, and it's not like Oscar can solve that headache.

Im not even sure Franklin has that over Frost , he's hardly a great contested grab, his agility and pace are what cut opposition defenders to pieces.

Frost should be able to hold him goaless, no problem. Ill be disappointed if he kicks 2 on him. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not even sure Franklin has that over Frost , he's hardly a great contested grab, his agility and pace are what cut opposition defenders to pieces.

Frost should be able to hold him goaless, no problem. Ill be disappointed if he kicks 2 on him. ;)

Frosty certainly has the physical ability to keep up, even if he lacks the footballing skill.

One thing i could really see happening is Frost keeping up his Hunt impressions (and then usually tuning it over with a shocking disposal). Buddy is not a great defensive effort player, so Frost running off him could make him look really lazy.

Franklin's core strength is crazy good, very hard player to tackle and beat in one on ones.

Jetta T. Mac Bugg
Hibberd Frost Hunt
Tyson Petracca Stretch
Kent Pedersen Lewis
Hannan Weidemen Harmes
Gawn Oliver Viney
ANB O. Mac Vince Melksham

Last edited:
If JKH is an in over Kennedy or Kent ill be mystified. Surely we have seen enough at AFL level by now to know what he is. And a small forward he is most definitely not.

If JKH is an in over Kennedy or Kent ill be mystified. Surely we have seen enough at AFL level by now to know what he is. And a small forward he is most definitely not.
Won't come in to play as a small forward I don't think, will be used through the midfield as he has at vfl recently.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tr
Agree, if they want to play him at AFL level drop a mid for him.
Jetta T. Mac Bugg
Hibberd Frost Hunt
Tyson Petracca Stretch
Kent Pedersen Lewis
Hannan Weidemen Harmes
Gawn Oliver Viney
ANB O. Mac Vince Melksham

I think we will play this game; we will have Hannan and Harmes roam Hal-forward with Kent and Lewis gathering it on the wings, Bugg and Jetta will create with Hibberd and Hunt creating opportunities for The MIDS in: Tyson and Oliver. Skip should have us up for this. Boy is he in fine form. Go Dees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back